follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #337
venturaII
Only users lose weed.

Drives: All the time
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post

This is 10 lb of stuff in a 5lb bag. Dear god how do you guys do it with a V8Ö.

Can't wait to see your creation running, but I'm firmly in the K24 swap camp now, for precisely the same packaging reasons you're seeing. That said, keep up the awesome work!
gtpvette (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #338
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,245 Times in 719 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is 10 lb of stuff in a 5lb bag. Dear god how do you guys do it with a V8Ö.
LS fit's quite well. Doesn't have a lot of the extra parts you are dealing with. It's also quite compact. Most issue comes from exhaust. Dual 3" is quite difficult when trying to make it past a huge transmission and around the steering shaft.

You are doing a great job, and excited to see more progression. Definitely going to be a fun car.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #339
Irace86.2.0

Drives: BRZ + M796
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is 10 lb of stuff in a 5lb bag. Dear god how do you guys do it with a V8Ö .
You chose a DOHC V6...

Versus an OHV V8. Big difference in terms of packaging. The LS may actually be easier.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #340
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
LS fit's quite well. Doesn't have a lot of the extra parts you are dealing with. It's also quite compact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
You chose a DOHC V6...

Versus an OHV V8. Big difference in terms of packaging. The LS may actually be easier.

You know,,, ,looking at those pictures you really see the difference. Would of,,, Could of,, Should of....

GTM - Still under construction - 2015 FR-S - 2016 Vette Z51
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
Joesurf79 (Yesterday), wparsons (05-16-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #341
alex87f

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
As a sidebar,,, I ordered one of those flip top arm rests years ago. Wanted to install it and add a cup holder in front of it. For the life of me I canít find that fricking arm rest anywhere,, but did start on the cup holder mode it out of fiberglass. The nice thing is itís 5Ē deep and should keep my coffee cup out of the way.
If you're planning on using the OEM "accessory" armrest, you'll need your cupholder further to the front - the frame of the Toyota armrest extends about a third of an inch past the curved section of the console in front of the glovebox - doesn't look like it'll clear your current setup.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #342
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
If you're planning on using the OEM "accessory" armrest, you'll need your cupholder further to the front - the frame of the Toyota armrest extends about a third of an inch past the curved section of the console in front of the glovebox - doesn't look like it'll clear your current setup.

You're right about this as I remember it when I mocked it up some time ago. The problem is the size of the cup I use,, I needed at least 3.25" ID on the holder and a lip. That's why it ended up so big. BTW, it's right to the shifter trim as well on the other side. I'm hoping I can trim part of the flange on the cup holder as well as the arm rest (assuming I find that SOB) and make it work. I'd really like an arm rest and cup holder.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #343
gtpvette

3.25" ID,, almost 5" deep.... still needs paint...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
Zer0 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #344
gtpvette

Worked on the rear fenders some this weekend. I basically made a template of the opening moved it up about 3" which was the most I could based on positioning of the flares, marked it and cut it. Sliced the inner fender so it could be bent to meet the fender and welded them up to the fender.

Couple of issues and or questions for those that have done this. I tried welding up the slices but kept burning through. Are these normally welded up or just sealed?? I'm now leaning to the latter. Fender seems plenty strong as is but I know it'd be better welded. Second,,, what did you do with the plastic liner?? I'm thinking I could cut it in half and add a new section,,, maybe from a plastic trash can but would like to know what others have done.

I'll remove springs next week so I can see if everything clears. It'll be a WTF moment if it doesn't.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #345
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,245 Times in 719 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Couple of issues and or questions for those that have done this. I tried welding up the slices but kept burning through. Are these normally welded up or just sealed?? I'm now leaning to the latter. Fender seems plenty strong as is but I know it'd be better welded. Second,,, what did you do with the plastic liner?? I'm thinking I could cut it in half and add a new section,,, maybe from a plastic trash can but would like to know what others have done.

I'll remove springs next week so I can see if everything clears. It'll be a WTF moment if it doesn't.
Weld the outside lip, seal the small triangle slits with something. At least that is what I have done/seen most. Some people cut a sheet of steel to match the curve and weld it in place of the slices. I'll see if I can find a picture

I removed my rear liners and sealed all holes.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #346
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Weld the outside lip, seal the small triangle slits with something. At least that is what I have done/seen most. Some people cut a sheet of steel to match the curve and weld it in place of the slices. I'll see if I can find a picture

I removed my rear liners and sealed all holes.

Thanks Dustin,,, picked up some 3M 5200, it's a marine adhesive and sealant. Works great on boats but takes a while to dry. I'll do the slices with this then undercoating on both sides. Still may try to rework the liners....

DustinS (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #347
gtpvette

Worked on the rear end this week. Two coats of 5200 sealed the slices up pretty well,,, looks crappy though. Once the second coat dry's more,, it'll hit it with undercoating. I just don't water getting in and rust to start. Reworked the liners as well. Really wanted to do them in plastic but couldn't find something right,, god knows I looked everywhere. I wanted a plastic outdoor trash can with smooth sides,, found plenty with different ridges embossed but those wouldn't work. Ended up using aluminum flashing. It's really a bit to thin,,, but I'll try it and see. I'll also keep my eye out for the right trash can.

Swapped out the rear shocks for the new Koni's and measured travel versus rubbing of tires while at it. With no spring the tire has got 2.75" to hit the fender with no real compression of the bump stop. Based on what Racecomp told me it would compress another 1" give or take. In hindsight wish I'd cut the arches a bit lower,, but the way it is would allow of a slightly taller tire,, I'm at stock height now.
Attached Images

DustinS (04-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #348
gtpvette

Last month has been difficult to get time to work on the car. A few updates though.

Been working on the front fenders. Need to finish the install of the flares and cut them to fit new rims/tires. The outside of the fender itself is fairly easy to figure out,, the inside and more specifically the frame rail on the back side, not so much as I’m not sure how much to cut. The problem is the alignment is so out of whack (mostly caster) from the new adjustable lower control arms it’s difficult to tell what needs trimming and how much. The main thing is I don’t want is to do it twice. Although I do have a digital level, setting caster with it is a PITA so I’ve been looking for a caster/camber gauge. Think I’ve settled on the Fastrax as a good price performer.

As a sidebar, looking for +5 on caster -2 on camber. As it turns out, the rim/tire combination has a lot of ‘poke’ on the front, may have to dial in more caster than I really want or modify the flares some.

Ordered some 1/16” black high density polyethylene plastic for rear fender liners from Ebay to replace the aluminum flashing. These are 24x48 sheets. I cut in sheets in half so the liner now extends past the fender and butts up to the flares a bit which is good. Also, turns out the 1/8 rivets weren’t really holding well,, 3/16 rivet with a backing washer seem to work much better. Still need to figure out the fronts.

On a lighter note, ordered a new GM shifter handle and boot from a Camaro. Black leather with red stitching so it matches well. Needed this as I didn’t have the Camaro boot so was missing the trim ring that attaches the boot to the handle. Boot fits the FRS bezel nicely so should look pretty good when done.

Painted and caulked into place the DIY cup holder. Really happy with it. Don’t know why one of the vendors don’t make something like this.

Finally,,, I’m so ready for this project to be over,, just want the thing running.

DustinS (05-15-2019), venturaII (05-15-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #349
Captain Snooze
Because compromise

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 4,451 Times in 2,119 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
More to the point what will you do once this project is finished?
Besides having a celebratory beer of course.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #350
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
More to the point what will you do once this project is finished?
Besides having a celebratory beer of course.

Having a bunch of adult beverages will be first. After that,,, I have a back county skiff that needs a rebuild, light fiberglass work, paint, new motor and rigging, then of course the GTM is still sitting there waiting for attention. All I know is retirement wont get here soon enough!!
Attached Images

Captain Snooze (05-16-2019), Sportsguy83 (05-16-2019)