follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
sbmantas

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best combination of headers and cat back’s

Hey guys,
I’m planning to change the header and exhaust. I have 2015 brz, m/t and it’s completely stock for now. What would you recommend as the best combination for daily driving with low rumble, but not to loud so that it could be useful in the longer distances? Also, supercharger is in plans. Considering sprintex 210, but there is also Edelbrock, jackson racing, but sprintex sound is just amazing to my ear and gives the right amount of power in order keeping everything else in stock. So what would you recommend? Budget for header is up to 1000$, exhaust up to 1000$, supercharger around 5000$ not including the instalation and tuning.
sbmantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you want rumble, get JDL or Tomei UEL headers.

Catbacks are highly subjective, but I'd recommend the Perrin 2.5" resonated or Q300 for tried and true "quiet" options. CSG's Laguna 90 is also supposed to be nice, but I haven't heard it myself.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
5H1F7Y

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Ive got the OFT header and Invidia r400 catback and love the sound. Deep, not too loud, nice burble at idle, screams at wot
5H1F7Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
sbmantas

Thank you for the recommendations!
Btw, since i’m not living in US, from which shop/site would you recommend buying all the stuff above? I’m considering Ft speed factory, but in their site there is a security problem or what, cause in chrome it says it’s not secure, so i’m not sure about that.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
FT86Z
Drift noob

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport-Tech CWP 6MT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
FT86SF is legit
Old 04-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
jjorgen

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
As mentioned above if you want the rumble UEL is the way to go and personally if you don't want to be loud get a header with a cat in it and opt for a cat or resonator wherever possible. I have the Greddy Evo GT cat back with the JDL 3" over / front pipe with a cat and resonator and the JDL UEL with cat and it is very deep and has a great rumble. However even though it has the two cats and the resonator in the front pipe it can be pretty loud on throttle. A lot depends if you are going to replace the front and over pipe too cause that can greatly add to sound level. I would recommend the JDL catted UEL for the rumble and the corsa cat back or greddy supreme SP for a more deep and quiet exhaust when coupled to a header. but as always loudness is relative and changes from person to person. Here is a link to a short clip of my car so you can hear what my combination sounds like.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...1ULUdEVXVGRk1B
jjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjorgen For This Useful Post:
SkyeHack (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Just save up a bit more and get a ace header it’s worth it. If cost is really an issue you could get the type B 150 for 1150$. Best exhaust is CSG mxp touring86 899$ it’s 2.75” piping for better performance and future proofs you for FI also the sound is a nice crisp deeper tone no drone about the same loudness as stock. And toss in a hks double res or a jdl ultra quiet front pipe to finish it off both about 250$. This will get you best performance, really nice clean but not too loud noise, and future proof you for FI
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
amaciose

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I've got OpenFlash Headers, stock front pipe, and Perrin 2.5" resonated CBE. Sound is perfect for me, I get the rumble on acceleration and a steady hum when cruising as a DD. Would definitely recommend the Perrin if you want the low rumble but still want a reasonably low sound volume.
amaciose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Greddy also - good build, good sound, not too loud. Keep in mind if you go with a Kraftwerks SC, any header with piping that goes up in front of the crank hub will possibly interfere with the crank hub adapter with that kit. Regarding headers, pick UEL or EL for the sound, then work from there based on budget. You can usually pick up a good EL or UEL header used in the classifieds for around $500.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
sbmantas

Thank you all for the recommendations I'm truly greatful! I have some research to do now when i know what to look for!
I'll be putting supercharger, however, my heart wants that supercharger insane noise from sprintex. It reminds me a bit of koenigsegg agera sound and i love that car and especially that sound. Edelbrock was my favourite long time, but i'm a bit afraid that it will give me more power than stock can handle and then it would go from there to another upgrades.
As for daily car, I want only these 3 things, cause they would change the car but it won't turn it into the race car on the streets.
OFT header is fairly cheap one (600$) comparing to other headers JDL or Tomei. Would i feel the difference between them in DD? What about tune?
Also, i was considering FT86 speed factory V1 exhaust. I like the sound, it's not too loud but maybe i'm wrong about the loudness? Perrin and Greddy is in consideration also. Q300 is out, cause it sounds too stock. At this moment i'm planning to change header, exhaust (without front pipe) and also sprintex 210. So if anybody knows more good combinations I would be really grateful for that
Old 04-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #11
sbmantas

jjorgen

Wow!! what a nice sound! But isn't it too loud? i mean, i drive a lot my BRZ (around 100 miles a day) and i'm afraid that the sound would wear me down. However, the noise is epic!

Last edited by sbmantas; 04-19-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmantas View Post
Also, i was considering FT86 speed factory V1 exhaust. I like the sound, it's not too loud but maybe i'm wrong about the loudness?
one of my local buddies here has it and I followed him on the road once and couldn't hear my corsa through his FT86 V1. It's loud like it's got an aftermarket header.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #13
jjorgen

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Hey sbmantas, with my exhaust I will say having the cat in the header and front pipe with the resonator in the front pipe as well keeps it very quiet while just cruising. I can cruise down the highway in between 25-55 mph and have a conversation with my girlfriend with out raising my voice at all and there is zero drone. I can actually listen to the radio at very low volumes just fine throughout my whole drive. However the minute you give it gas the sound really picks up and when your on it you definitely hear it and its loud. My biggest suggestion would be keeping cats and resonators whenever possible or else the exhaust can get loud and drone quick. that is why I opted for the JDL catted UEL. Also by keeping the cats there is no gas smell. I will also say a lot depends on how you drive if your a more aggressive driver who is on throttle more this setup would be a little loud, however if your like me and just drive very passively then its not loud at all. To answer your other question with having the headers put on I definitely felt a difference by itself even for just casual daily driving and once it was tuned the difference was magnified.
jjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjorgen For This Useful Post:
SkyeHack (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
sbmantas

jjorgen
Thanks man! That sort of combination I was looking for! Sometimes i like to push it, but most of the time i'm driving it casually Hopefully, JDL UEL + Greddy Evo gt + sprintex 210 will bring me the ultimate driving sensation what i'm looking for. Furthermore, my budget for this whole thing was around 10k$, but now it will be around ( JDL - 766$ + Greddy - 830$ + Sprintex 210 3100$ + installation and tuning ) 5,5-6k$. It might be enough for OZ golden superlaggera's and Michelin SuperSport too, so it's win-win!!
Thanks again! I'm really excited about this!