follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 AM   #225
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburrow87 View Post

Yep, still enjoying it after driving a bunch more today! No problems with feathering, or hill starts, even with the grab point higher than it should probably be.

It's much easier to drive and it's hard to understand exactly why. It just seems more linear and predictable now, as if this is the slave cylinder size everything was designed around. It seems strange that a larger slave, which you'd think would simply increase the pedal travel required, could throw it off so much. Must be some odd geometry somewhere. You could sort-of get used to the original one to an extent, but one drive in a different car (NA Miata in my case), and it was just painful going back.

This has pretty much saved the car. Now I can concentrate on important stuff like an OFT and E85 or something
You're echoing my experience exactly. For a manual transmission, precise clutch control is critical. I'll take a sloppy gear selector over a sloppy clutch any day. Subaru doesn't get that and it's a damn shame.

Too much mechanical advantage makes it difficult to modulate engagement with precision. Have to swing the whole leg instead of just rotating the ankle. That's really all there is to it.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #226
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cylinder swap only?

What if I want to avoid the pedal adjustment and the spring removal and just do the slave cylinder? Should this work out pretty well? Right now I'm driving with my seat way back and this seems to be the only seating position that allows me to work the clutch smoothly most of the time, but, it's still iffy. Also, my arms are stretched way out and on a trip the right one starts aching.
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #227
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw99 View Post
What if I want to avoid the pedal adjustment and the spring removal and just do the slave cylinder? Should this work out pretty well? Right now I'm driving with my seat way back and this seems to be the only seating position that allows me to work the clutch smoothly most of the time, but, it's still iffy. Also, my arms are stretched way out and on a trip the right one starts aching.
The pedal adjustment is required because the slave swap increases travel at the pressure plate. I warn about this in the OP. It is a precursor to avoid potential damage.

Spring removal is optional. I actually have mixed feelings about it. If you leave it installed don't freak out when you bleed the clutch. Each time the pressure is relieved the pedal will stick to the floor. That's just the assist spring doing its job.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #228
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
slave cylinder and requisite pedal adjustment

Thanks so much! I read your complete thread back when you first posted but forgot some of it and have been reading all the comments since then. I'm kind of a late bloomer. When I do it I'll get back to you. Thanks again.
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #229
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Better to bloom late than to die on the vine. Anytime, man! Don't worry about asking redundant questions. I'm not that guy.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #230
rburrow87

Drives: (SOLD) '13 BRZ Ltd SSM / '91 Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The pedal adjustment is required because the slave swap increases travel at the pressure plate. I warn about this in the OP. It is a precursor to avoid potential damage.

Spring removal is optional. I actually have mixed feelings about it. If you leave it installed don't freak out when you bleed the clutch. Each time the pressure is relieved the pedal will stick to the floor. That's just the assist spring doing its job.
The pedal is pretty heavy without the spring, I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to put it back or go to an MTEC spring. I'm happy with mine without a spring, but I haven't tried one so who knows.

When I went to bleed mine, I was getting nowhere and wasting fluid for a while. Finally just pulled the bleeder off the slave, pushed the pushrod in, covered the bleeder hole with my thumb, then let go of the pushrod to get it to suck down some fluid. Did that a couple times then put the bleeder back in and it finally bled normally.

Also when I bought the slave, I wanted to just get new crush washers. My local AutoZone had Dorman HELP 66250 in stock which is an assortment pack which had the correct size in it. Nobody seemed to stock individual sizes here.
rburrow87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:55 AM   #231
ck-GT86

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S, MT
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
So i have a new clutch and flywheel, the car dies if i dont give it gas before releasing the clutch while its fully depressed. Im guessing this is because the clutch is grabbing way faster. Going to raise the height of the pedal, i want to say its a bit underneath when compared against the brake pedal. @Ultramaroon whatcha think?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:05 AM   #232
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck-GT86 View Post
So i have a new clutch and flywheel, the car dies if i dont give it gas before releasing the clutch while its fully depressed. Im guessing this is because the clutch is grabbing way faster. Going to raise the height of the pedal, i want to say its a bit underneath when compared against the brake pedal. @Ultramaroon whatcha think?
How long have you run it since reassembly? I'm going to say it's the ECU relearning the fuel trims.

If you can get it into gear, it's ok. Try going from neutral to first and back to neutral. raise the pedal a smidge. try it again. repeat until you feel resistance to engagement. There's your touch point.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:21 AM   #233
ck-GT86

Quote:
How long have you run it since reassembly? I'm going to say it's the ECU relearning the fuel trims.

If you can get it into gear, it's ok. Try going from neutral to first and back to neutral. raise the pedal a smidge. try it again. repeat until you feel resistance to engagement. There's your touch point.
Happens only when i run my headlights, or HVAC. The power draw is dipping the idle. Been about 240 miles now with the clutch

. ck
Old 09-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #234
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Happens only when i run my headlights, or HVAC. The power draw is dipping the idle. Been about 240 miles now with the clutch

. ck
Hmmm... I'll still say not clutch but raising it certainly won't hurt.

I'm not an expert with this ECU but maybe it hasn't spent enough time idling. Maybe let it idle from a cold start all the way to normal operating temp?

Let's make an emergency call out to @steve99. Any opinions, sir?
Old 09-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #235
ck-GT86

Quote:

I'm not an expert with this ECU but maybe it hasn't spent enough time idling. Maybe let it idle from a cold start all the way to normal operating temp?

Raised the clutch pedal so its a bit above the brake, car doesnt immediately die with the HVAC and headlights on. Thanks!

. ck
Old 09-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #236
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Raised the clutch pedal so its a bit above the brake, car doesnt immediately die with the HVAC and headlights on. Thanks!

. ck
Great! For the record, stock parts?
Old 09-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #237
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:

If your new clutch and flywheel assembly is significantly lighter than the original unit it can cause issues with idling as the ecu software detects abnormal changes in idle speeds and trys to compensate.

lighter clutch flywheels can also cause difficulty in initiial takeoff as less stored energy in lighter components so you have to use more rpm to takeoff, also if clutch has more "bite".

you could try adjusting the pi/di tables to run full DI up to 0.3 engine loads and bump your idle to 750 if not already done.

running full DI at idle seems to allow ecu to compensate quicker

also try removing the weird negitive intake cam advance settings in the intake avcs tables at low rpm/load they seems to be for emmissions only

see tune tweaks thread
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
ck-GT86 (09-19-2015), Ultramaroon (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #238
ck-GT86

Quote:
Great! For the record, stock parts?
Far far far from stock parts.

. ck

Tags
clutch line, slave cylinder