follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
I hope my humor wasn't lost in that post no offense to anyone
Oh no, no offence taken -

I don't really care what people think about what kind of car I drive, hell, I drove a Miata for eight years -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (07-28-2019), rennlistuser3 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
You saw a Corvette C8? are they already out in the wild?
Supra
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #31
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Supra
well you still beat me, never seen a Supra in the wild yet. Would like to see it but never selling my FT86 for one ever

C8 considering or maybe a few years down the line, too many career decisions to be made at this stage in my life.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #32
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
well you still beat me, never seen a Supra in the wild yet. Would like to see it but never selling my FT86 for one ever

C8 considering or maybe a few years down the line, too many career decisions to be made at this stage in my life.
I hear you. I have a hard time parting with that kind of money for a car. Maybe in a few years when there are used ones around.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #33
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I got a bad feeling, and this is just a feeling

the C8 will be a limited run unlike the C7

and prices on them will rise with time after a slight fall, like the 04-05 ford Gt

They are worth double what they cost back in 05 now a days

this is just a hunch. but there aint no way in how they can sell that C8 for 60k for a company profit per unit sold. they have to be selling them at a loss.

just a hunch
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #34
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
I got a bad feeling, and this is just a feeling

the C8 will be a limited run unlike the C7

and prices on them will rise with time after a slight fall, like the 04-05 ford Gt

They are worth double what they cost back in 05 now a days

this is just a hunch. but there aint no way in how they can sell that C8 for 60k for a company profit per unit sold. they have to be selling them at a loss.

just a hunch

I'd say unlikely but your speculation is as good as mine

They were selling the C7 at supposedly a profit for around 60k. As far as I can tell from reading specs everywhere, the C8 is just a mid-engined C7, i.e. just redesigned. The Corvette always did have this potential just never unleashed with FR but now with MR it's there. The C7 was a very fast car.

Heck, even the Mustang GT350 is a crazy price bargain. It's really nothing new to the American sportscar scene. OK OK maybe this is more on the game changing side but yeah I believe it.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:33 PM   #35
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I hear you. I have a hard time parting with that kind of money for a car. Maybe in a few years when there are used ones around.
yeah I was just shopping around for used Mustang GT350 and the offers are super enticing. Used is definitely on my list of options. Not that the new one is out of reach to be honest, it's just a matter of where you want to put your money.
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #36
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I got a bad feeling, and this is just a feeling the C8 will be a limited run unlike the C7 and prices on them will rise with time after a slight fall, like the 04-05 ford Gt They are worth double what they cost back in 05 now a days this is just a hunch. but there aint no way in how they can sell that C8 for 60k for a company profit per unit sold. they have to be selling them at a loss. just a hunch
I think you are confusing the C8 (a small production car) with the GT (a limited production run).

The C8 is the continuation of a line going back to the mid50s. They have a full production line and factory dedicated to it. In the end, its a model update of a production car.

The GT was always going to be a limited run car.

I did see where GM is saying that they are approaching having deposits for the entire production line for 2020 model year though so it is possible that for the next 12 months there will be people flipping them for some level of profit, or at least getting what they paid for it.

I may need to seriously consider buying a C7 if the bottom falls out of their price.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-30-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #37
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Practicality: usable small rear seats for FT86 gets it here

Fuel economy: for the lead footed, FT86

Ironically the corvettes I've had get better gas mileage and were more practical, at least from a trunk space POV, than the BRZ I have now. The biggest downside to the Z06s I had was tires are super expensive and don't last long.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #38
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Are we talking two FT86's vs the C8?

Or a 86 with 30k in mods?
A BRZ with the PP and a supercharger/turbo, good coils is probably going to be a better track toy. You'll be able to use more of its performance on the street which is a pro for some.

As a all around usable car the C8 wins hands down. It will be more comfortable, better interior, more capable. I think it looks better. It isn't that hard to beat the looks of our platform. We have good body lines but the bumper skins aren't good. Nothing in the Aftermarket fixes that.
But the C8 a base car not set up for track, I imagine most will never see a track. I'm curious how many base cars they will sell. I see people adding options putting it more into the 70-80k range.

Once you see C8 base cars drop in price those things will be a hell of a bargain.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-15-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #39
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermk2 View Post
Ironically the corvettes I've had get better gas mileage and were more practical, at least from a trunk space POV, than the BRZ I have now. The biggest downside to the Z06s I had was tires are super expensive and don't last long.
Wait, how is this? you got my interest...

Is your BRZ heavily modified for this to happen? or the Corvette just really more fuel efficient in the real world?

I say this because in my own BRZ (2017 Limited PP) I easily get 34 MPG highway going 70 MPH when it is rated at 29.

I'm wondering if the Vette does way better in the real world than what is quoted?
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #40
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Are we talking two FT86's vs the C8?

Or a 86 with 30k in mods?
A BRZ with the PP and a supercharger/turbo, good coils is probably going to be a better track toy. You'll be able to use more of its performance on the street which is a pro for some.

As a all around usable car the C8 wins hands down. It will be more comfortable, better interior, more capable. I think it looks better. It isn't that hard to beat the looks of our platform. We have good body lines but the bumper skins aren't good. Nothing in the Aftermarket fixes that.
But the C8 a base car not set up for track, I imagine most will never see a track. I'm curious how many base cars they will sell. I see people adding options putting it more into the 70-80k range.

Once you see C8 base cars drop in price those things will be a hell of a bargain.

30k is a heck of a lot of money for mods especially that likely none of it will be seen back in resale value so it's all flushed down the drain.

Another thing with moding is there is always a limit to what you can do and that limit will always be higher in a car designed from the grown up with 500 HP in mind Vs. 200 HP.

Best is to own both! you get the best of both
Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #41
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Another thing to consider is that not all of Corvette's return comes from sales of the Corvette in isolation. Some of the technology the Corvette team develops ends up in other vehicles. For example, back in the '90s the Corvette team pioneered a cost-effective method of hydroforming to make the frame much stiffer than welded frames without adding weight. I recall reading about the mangles messes of steel they produced when they were first learning how to do it, but they very quickly put that tech to use in their truck line when the Corvette team finally proved it out.

Plus it's a halo car, helping to sell other cars by attracting people to the brand. Someone might end up buying another GM vehicle because the Corvette drew his attention to the Chevy website or dealer. I saw a post from a Chevy salesman one time who said they sold all their Camaros only by promoting the Corvette. Oddly enough, these days the Corvette sells a whole lot of Silverados. You even see marketing materials depicting them together.

GM's cost accountants are very good. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they managed to allocate the development costs to other vehicles to bring the per unit cost down, while also managing to fairly accurately estimate the margin from other vehicles attributable to the Corvette as a marketing tool.

Some pics of Corvettes selling trucks:

extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (07-30-2019), Dadhawk (07-29-2019), Impureclient (07-29-2019), rennlistuser3 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #42
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Transmission: no manual option for C8 so bummer. But DCT of C8 seems to be really good .... twin clutch transmission have not fared well for Ford at all. So much so that they stopped using it in their cars, at least in North America.
I know a lot of C7 owners who had major engine problems (blow engines and disintegrated torque tubes). At one point, Chevy dealerships had stacks of new engines in crates sitting on their receiving dock. And have fun dealing with GM customer service....
James H is offline   Reply With Quote