follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
8RZ
The Gunshine State
 
8RZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,464
Thanks: 630
Thanked 1,153 Times in 583 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I love the new electric pony.


__________________

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Tcoat (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
mazeroni
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 639
Thanks: 327
Thanked 544 Times in 276 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It looks a little funky to me, but that's to be expect with EVs. The different trims and pricing seem spot-on too. I'm happy they went with a dedicated platform as well. Beating Honda and Toyota to market with it is good too. Kudos to Ford if they can launch it without major recalls.

Also, not letting the Mustang nameplate fall into obscurity is smart. Sales will only continue to slide for the Mustang, and no hybrid or electric versions will save it. Taking advantage of the brand recognition is wise and people will eventually forget that the Mustang was ever just a RWD 2-door sports car.

I guess it is more a question of how many more nameplates will land with Mustang badging, and for how long. Does Ford eventually make Mustang a performance trim level?

Anyway, I'm going to lawl when the first videos of the Mach-e GT start going around showing it beating up on GT350s, and GT500s that can't get traction.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Irace86.2.0 (11-19-2019), scotto79 (11-21-2019), Tcoat (11-19-2019), why? (11-23-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,053
Thanks: 50,656
Thanked 80,147 Times in 36,134 Posts
Mentioned: 2067 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
It looks a little funky to me, but that's to be expect with EVs. The different trims and pricing seem spot-on too. I'm happy they went with a dedicated platform as well. Beating Honda and Toyota to market with it is good too. Kudos to Ford if they can launch it without major recalls.

Also, not letting the Mustang nameplate fall into obscurity is smart. Sales will only continue to slide for the Mustang, and no hybrid or electric versions will save it. Taking advantage of the brand recognition is wise and people will eventually forget that the Mustang was ever just a RWD 2-door sports car.

I guess it is more a question of how many more nameplates will land with Mustang badging, and for how long. Does Ford eventually make Mustang a performance trim level?

Anyway, I'm going to lawl when the first videos of the Mach-e GT start going around showing it beating up on GT350s, and GT500s that can't get traction.
If they couldn't convince the public that a FWD sports car was a Mustang when FWD was the hot new thing they are going to have a rough time with an electric crossover!
Personally I have no love of the Mustang name so don't care but still don't see it going over well.


Introducing the 2021 Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ


__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-19-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Irace86.2.0 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
radon55
Member
 
radon55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 16
Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I can see why they used the Mustang nameplate. Plenty of marketing and clout that come free with the name usage, instead of trying to make a new name and a new legacy. I'm looking forward to seeing these vs. the Tesla Model 3 at AutoX.

I'm just glad there's finally what I would consider a true competitor for Tesla in the "cheaper" end of the electric market. Competition is a good thing for the market.
radon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radon55 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Irace86.2.0 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #19
nwgabrz
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: BRZ Limited
Location: GA
Posts: 44
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As long as the Mustang Mach-E maintains core aspects of the Mustang brand, it should be fine. Porsche, Lamborghini, and Jeep all have used a brand name on a vehicle type that was unthinkable for it, as well. Remember when Porsche fans were all up-in-arms by the Cayenne SUV? But since Porsche still makes sports cars like the 911, Porsche can call the Cayenne "The Porsche of SUVs".

The Mach-E retains the performance aspects of the Mustang brand, and the idea is that name recognition of the Mustang brand will draw people in. With that being said, we will still have to see if this will be a success or a flop.

Nonetheless, it's a good thing for the automotive industry in general. Here's an interesting read.
nwgabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nwgabrz For This Useful Post:
why? (11-23-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,053
Thanks: 50,656
Thanked 80,147 Times in 36,134 Posts
Mentioned: 2067 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgabrz View Post
As long as the Mustang Mach-E maintains core aspects of the Mustang brand, it should be fine. Porsche, Lamborghini, and Jeep all have used a brand name on a vehicle type that was unthinkable for it, as well. Remember when Porsche fans were all up-in-arms by the Cayenne SUV? But since Porsche still makes sports cars like the 911, Porsche can call the Cayenne "The Porsche of SUVs".

The Mach-E retains the performance aspects of the Mustang brand, and the idea is that name recognition of the Mustang brand will draw people in. With that being said, we will still have to see if this will be a success or a flop.

Nonetheless, it's a good thing for the automotive industry in general. Here's an interesting read.
That is just it though. Mustang is not a brand it is a model within a brand. A very distinct and separate model. It is not the same as Porsche making an SUV. It would be the same as Porsche building an electric cross over and calling it a 911.
People are not stupid and saying this is a Mustang will not fly with Mustang fans.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #21
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic
 
mrg666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,271
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 694 Times in 459 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is just it though. Mustang is not a brand it is a model within a brand. A very distinct and separate model. It is not the same as Porsche making an SUV. It would be the same as Porsche building an electric cross over and calling it a 911.
People are not stupid and saying this is a Mustang will not fly with Mustang fans.
Ford tries to make Mustang look like a standalone brand not a Ford model; that is my impression based on the fact that there are no Ford logos on a Mustang. I think they are targeting the people who would like to buy a Mustang but prefer buying an SUV in the end. Much like the people who would like to buy a Porsche but end up with a Cayenne instead of 911.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #22
KR-S 86
Sporadic Member
 
KR-S 86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,714
Thanks: 4,413
Thanked 3,008 Times in 1,489 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Kind of stupid to slap the Mustang name on this. They could have simply called it Mach-E if they wanted to keep it somewhat related to the Mustang. This is no better than the Eclipse Cross.

With that being said, I'm going to play angel's advocate here and say that at least Mustang fans still have the Mustang. They aren't making this the main Mustang model (and hopefully never will).

The way I look at it, if I were a Mustang owner, I'd be thrilled to buy this as a daily driver and save the actual Mustang (and the gas money for it) for weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is just it though. Mustang is not a brand it is a model within a brand. A very distinct and separate model. It is not the same as Porsche making an SUV. It would be the same as Porsche building an electric cross over and calling it a 911.
People are not stupid and saying this is a Mustang will not fly with Mustang fans.
I still think the same concept applies. There was a time when Porsche build strictly sports cars only, but have since started making luxury sedans/SUVs. They're not any less prestigious than they were because of it. As long as Mustang fans have the actual Mustang, I don't see any reasonable backlash forming.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by klearfade View Post
Is that gel in your hair?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #23
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,053
Thanks: 50,656
Thanked 80,147 Times in 36,134 Posts
Mentioned: 2067 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Kind of stupid to slap the Mustang name on this. They could have simply called it Mach-E if they wanted to keep it somewhat related to the Mustang. This is no better than the Eclipse Cross.

With that being said, I'm going to play angel's advocate here and say that at least Mustang fans still have the Mustang. They aren't making this the main Mustang model (and hopefully never will).

The way I look at it, if I were a Mustang owner, I'd be thrilled to buy this as a daily driver and save the actual Mustang (and the gas money for it) for weekends.



I still think the same concept applies. There was a time when Porsche build strictly sports cars only, but have since started making luxury sedans/SUVs. They're not any less prestigious than they were because of it. As long as Mustang fans have the actual Mustang, I don't see any reasonable backlash forming.
But Ford has always made SUVs. Not even remotely the same thing. If I slapped a Mustang emblem on a pickup truck does that make it a Mustang? Should Porsche just call their whole line up 911 and hope the public goes for it? Porsche came up with a whole new name they didn’t try to take their iconic sports car models and turn them into electric crossovers.
I am not a Ford nor Mustang fan and the whole idea is just ludicrous to me so I can’t even imagine what they think of this hair brained badging.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #24
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,053
Thanks: 50,656
Thanked 80,147 Times in 36,134 Posts
Mentioned: 2067 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Ford tries to make Mustang look like a standalone brand not a Ford model; that is my impression based on the fact that there are no Ford logos on a Mustang. I think they are targeting the people who would like to buy a Mustang but prefer buying an SUV in the end. Much like the people who would like to buy a Porsche but end up with a Cayenne instead of 911.
This is how they will likely spin it.

But

"OH I really want that sports car but since that EV has the same badge I am going for that instead" probably isn't going to be said often. If it is a good vehicle then it will sell on it's merits but slapping a pony on the front isn't going to fool a single buyer.

I highly doubt many walk into a dealer looking fr a 911 and walk out with a Cayenne instead.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #25
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,053
Thanks: 50,656
Thanked 80,147 Times in 36,134 Posts
Mentioned: 2067 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic
 
mrg666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,271
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 694 Times in 459 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I highly doubt many walk into a dealer looking fr a 911 and walk out with a Cayenne instead.
I meant they go to Porsche dealer to buy the Cayenne that has the same brand with 911.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #27
Sapphireho
Truly pasture happy
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 JRSC twin, '06 Exige, '77 911s
Location: Private Idaho
Posts: 7,608
Thanks: 3,303
Thanked 7,593 Times in 4,205 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How long can a shit thread last.......

Mr.Owl?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #28
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,053
Thanks: 50,656
Thanked 80,147 Times in 36,134 Posts
Mentioned: 2067 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I meant they go to Porsche dealer to buy the Cayenne that has the same brand with 911.
That is really stretching it. Would they sell more Cayenne's if they badged them 911?
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford swap? crazyfrenchbiker Engine Swaps 60 01-31-2018 11:55 AM
My 225 whp 1990 ford fiesta aka the ford party Frog Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 25 12-23-2015 02:13 PM
Take a look at the Ford FR-S.... Tromatic Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 26 06-09-2013 03:40 PM
FRS/BRZ vs Ford Fiesta ST overlookedx FR-S / BRZ vs.... 32 02-28-2013 03:17 AM
What does FORD stand for? Lexicon101 Off-Topic Lounge 16 03-19-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.