follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes, another Borla header thread.

Yes another header/exhaust thread but bear with me. I badly want to buy the Borla UEL header for my BRZ, and I want to keep my OEM catback because I want it to be quiet and look stock.

Wants:
Power increase
Sound
Customer Service
Million Mile Warranty
Price

Don’t Wants:
I don’t want any CEL’s
I don’t want to fail emissions (I’m in Texas not CA so it just has to pass sniffer.)
I don’t want to do ECUTek to eliminate CEL.

My question is for people using this part and intelligent people. I want to know if anyone has had issues running the o2 spacer to eliminate the CEL. I’d also like to know if people think this setup will still pass emissions while keeping the factory front pipe with factory cat. I don’t have any plans for FI or big mods only other thing is my existing AEM intake and maybe UniChip in the future.

If anyone has had their car emission tested with this setup or similar, and has the results it would be awesome if you could post it or send it to me in a pm. I have the results sheets from my other cars that show result/goal and I could use it for a basic comparison.

If the best course of action is to re-install the oem headers come inspection time I wont have an issue as long as it isn’t a difficult job.

FOR THIS THREAD PLEASE: ignore Borla’s QC issues, searching has revealed that Borla is perfectly happy replacing several times under their warranty w/o sending back the defective part, and PLEASE do not just post there are 135+ borla threads.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to everyone’s opinion.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
Yes another header/exhaust thread but bear with me. I badly want to buy the Borla UEL header for my BRZ, and I want to keep my OEM catback because I want it to be quiet and look stock.

Wants:
Power increase
Sound
Customer Service
Million Mile Warranty
Price

Don’t Wants:
I don’t want any CEL’s
I don’t want to fail emissions (I’m in Texas not CA so it just has to pass sniffer.)
I don’t want to do ECUTek to eliminate CEL.

My question is for people using this part and intelligent people. I want to know if anyone has had issues running the o2 spacer to eliminate the CEL. I’d also like to know if people think this setup will still pass emissions while keeping the factory front pipe with factory cat. I don’t have any plans for FI or big mods only other thing is my existing AEM intake and maybe UniChip in the future.

If anyone has had their car emission tested with this setup or similar, and has the results it would be awesome if you could post it or send it to me in a pm. I have the results sheets from my other cars that show result/goal and I could use it for a basic comparison.

If the best course of action is to re-install the oem headers come inspection time I wont have an issue as long as it isn’t a difficult job.

FOR THIS THREAD PLEASE: ignore Borla’s QC issues, searching has revealed that Borla is perfectly happy replacing several times under their warranty w/o sending back the defective part, and PLEASE do not just post there are 135+ borla threads.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to everyone’s opinion.
Tune to truly avoid the CEL the proper way.

Keep a cat in the front pipe to pass sniffer in Texas.

Ecutek > Spacer in this regard, and besides, why are you buying a header if you aren't going to tune it? You're really leaving a good chunk of torque and HP on the table by not tuning. I understand it's expensive, but I would try to budget out a tune and header together.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
448hpsti (09-29-2013), FT-86 SpeedFactory (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post

Ecutek > Spacer in this regard, and besides, why are you buying a header if you aren't going to tune it? You're really leaving a good chunk of torque and HP on the table by not tuning. I understand it's expensive, but I would try to budget out a tune and header together.
What he said.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you REALLY don't want to have to tune the car, @Fast_Freddy recommended these O2 spacers to me in another thread: http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/

The mini-cat spacer seems like a sound idea to me; it literally has a small scale cat built into it. However, I'd have to agree with the others who have responded so far, you really ought to get a tune to get the most out of your header. No sense in spending over $500 for a part and not using it to its fullest.

If you do decide to get a tune and want to flash back to stock for dealer visits, that spacer should keep the CEL away so it doesn't raise any questions. This is probably the route I will go if I end up with a catless header; tuned with OpenFlash with a mini-cat spacer so I don't get a CEL while temporarily running stock.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
in before that one dude posts that picture of the collector.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Matt hit the nail on the head.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post
If you REALLY don't want to have to tune the car, @Fast_Freddy recommended these O2 spacers to me in another thread: http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/

The mini-cat spacer seems like a sound idea to me; it literally has a small scale cat built into it. However, I'd have to agree with the others who have responded so far, you really ought to get a tune to get the most out of your header. No sense in spending over $500 for a part and not using it to its fullest.

If you do decide to get a tune and want to flash back to stock for dealer visits, that spacer should keep the CEL away so it doesn't raise any questions. This is probably the route I will go if I end up with a catless header; tuned with OpenFlash with a mini-cat spacer so I don't get a CEL while temporarily running stock.
I planned on getting a UniChip tune but I dont think it can eliminate this CEL.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
My BRZ
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
The Uni Chip does not eliminate CEL's but will tune output for the parts
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Its not conclusive that the "tune" method removes the DTC readiness flags, just cause the light is gone doesn't mean it will pass an ODBII port check by the DMV.

At this time the spacer is actually the proper way to deal with this issue if you want to pass OBDII emission checks.

Thanks.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
m.wood0213 (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Its not conclusive that the "tune" method removes the DTC readiness flags, just cause the light is gone doesn't mean it will pass an ODBII port check by the DMV.

At this time the spacer is actually the proper way to deal with this issue if you want to pass OBDII emission checks.

Thanks.
Correct. When they tune they usually just turn that code off, meaning the conditions are such that the light should be on, but the tune won't allow it. You would have to flash back to stock rom in order to pass an OBD test. And at that point you would need a spacer to keep the check engine light from failing you.... I think if you have a header you should have a tune. But it won't get you through emissions testing.

I have not tried any of the above. This is just what I have gathered from my time on the forums.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wootwoot For This Useful Post:
m.wood0213 (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Correct. When they tune they usually just turn that code off, meaning the conditions are such that the light should be on, but the tune won't allow it. You would have to flash back to stock rom in order to pass an OBD test. And at that point you would need a spacer to keep the check engine light from failing you.... I think if you have a header you should have a tune. But it won't get you through emissions testing.

I have not tried any of the above. This is just what I have gathered from my time on the forums.
Thats a new point of view thanks for the good info. So it seems like the only way to pass emissions is to use the spacer or go back to stock. Does anyone think using a spacer to avoid cel on a DD is a bad idea?
My BRZ
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
Thats a new point of view thanks for the good info. So it seems like the only way to pass emissions is to use the spacer or go back to stock. Does anyone think using a spacer to avoid cel on a DD is a bad idea?

Spacers can be troublesome. I think the smart thing would be a catted front pipe with an O2 bung after that cat, can't believe no one sells one yet. But a local weld shop could take care of that.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
TopGearSolutions

Drives: C6 Corvette Z06
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks.
Agreed. Unless you verify with the tune it will pass readiness you are better off with the spacer.
TopGearSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Hmm, I never had a problem passing inspection for the OBDII portion when the O2's were just moved back and the fronts were deleted on my Camaro. That's a good point about the readiness check. I would assume tuning tells the ECU that the current flow is the proper amount though even when tuned or is that a value that cannot be modified? I guess it depends on the tuner as well.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote