follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #29
scottrichardson

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86X86 View Post
...as in, cow-tipping?
Yeah. Lol. Perhaps, maybe, I am a noob. I just had my mate come over who is much more educated in cars. (Mechanic). He took her for a spin and said it feels perfect. His first time in an 86 and he loved it. Says the greater lightness at low speed could be the electric steering parking assist effect.

He says if it were his car he would be very happy.

So with that in mind, perhaps you are all right. I'm just getting used to it?

I guess beating the first good car I have ever owned, I have been super paranoid?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #30
tisb0b

Drives: Grey GT86 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
I guess beating the first good car I have ever owned, I have been super paranoid?
Look on google maps and find yourself a winding mountain road somewhere and drive it.
tisb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
scottrichardson

Ergh I still dunno... it feels way too light and unresponsive. Pulling into my garage tonight, I was turning the wheel 1 full rotation left and 1 full rotation right and the car pretty much stayed straight. My hands were doing a lot and the car was barely nudging. Thankfully, a fellow Aussie 86 owner who lives 2.5hrs away is letting me have a drive in his to compare steering. So by this time tomorrow I will be able to let you all know how I go!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #32
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
Ergh I still dunno... it feels way too light and unresponsive. Pulling into my garage tonight, I was turning the wheel 1 full rotation left and 1 full rotation right and the car pretty much stayed straight. My hands were doing a lot and the car was barely nudging. Thankfully, a fellow Aussie 86 owner who lives 2.5hrs away is letting me have a drive in his to compare steering. So by this time tomorrow I will be able to let you all know how I go!
Yeah, I'd definitely get in another one to feel it out. I don't think I've ever hit the lock before in either direction.
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #33
scottrichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven1425 View Post
Yeah, I'd definitely get in another one to feel it out. I don't think I've ever hit the lock before in either direction.
Yeh - I'm hitting full lock EVERY time I exit my driveway, or park my car at the super market etc... In fact, at full lock, the car isn't turning at it's tightest turning circle.

Thought: Can I pull the fuse out for the Electronic Power Steering - or disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it? Could this possibly reset the steering controller?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #34
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Best go to the dealership before you go head on to a semi cause the steering fails.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
or an overland train............
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #36
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
very interesting
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #37
racecaresuaceb

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I am glad I found this thread. I have been feeling the same way about my steering (distinctly more vague, more turning less output and a tad more light than when new) since about a week.

I have dismissed that notion to the fact that I am getting used to the car and maybe it's time to check tire pressure and/or alignment, but, I am glad I am not the only one sensing this steering feel change.

Edit: I have 50XX miles on it.
racecaresuaceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #38
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yes! I feel this too (felt it at 1.5k miles, I have 3k now). I am going to have another FT86 owner see if he/she feels it too.
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #39
muffinman

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake View Post
Source, please.
I haven't driven the frs (in any mode lol) but I have noticed other car's steering feels different from when all traction/stabilty controls are on to when they're off. Just normal city driving the cars steering feels slightly heavier with all the aids on. I'm not saying it affects how far u physically have to turn the wheel to negotiate the same turn.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #40
LeftFootBrake

Drives: White 86 GTS AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
I haven't driven the frs (in any mode lol) but I have noticed other car's steering feels different from when all traction/stabilty controls are on to when they're off. Just normal city driving the cars steering feels slightly heavier with all the aids on. I'm not saying it affects how far u physically have to turn the wheel to negotiate the same turn.
It really is quite the challenge remaining polite on this forum. Here's a guide to being a disrespectful fool:

Approach 1 (to which I first replied)
Step 1. Post unfacts confidently.
Step 2. Disregard any follow up questions, despite the notification mechanism, but continue to post elsewhere.

Approach 2 (to which this is a reply)
Step 1. Find a post undertaken by Approach 1
Step 2. Endorse it.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #41
muffinman

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake View Post
It really is quite the challenge remaining polite on this forum. Here's a guide to being a disrespectful fool:

Approach 1 (to which I first replied)
Step 1. Post unfacts confidently.
Step 2. Disregard any follow up questions, despite the notification mechanism, but continue to post elsewhere.

Approach 2 (to which this is a reply)
Step 1. Find a post undertaken by Approach 1
Step 2. Endorse it.
Extremely helpful post. Anyways, the new mustangs lock their electronic steering feel in sport mode when stabilty and traction control are turned off. I
o not know the details of the frs steeringsteering, but I do believe it is electric assist. I'm just throwing that out there as a possibility that it might be happening on the frs.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #42
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Did you change your seat position or steering wheel position around the time the steering feel changed? Alternatively, did you add/remove any weight anywhere in the car? Low fuel level in the tank? I'm curious to see if you can correlate this change in feeling to something like that.

I took a look at your weather over the last four weeks to see if there was any major temperature changes that could affect the tires/bushings, but it looks like your daily highs were consistently in the mid to low 20's. That being said, could there be any other environmental changes over the last few days that are different than the previous four weeks you have been driving it?
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote