follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #463
Stevehan

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ blue.edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
Why not just buy a header?

I'm not sure who Freddy is but most exhaust come from the manf with burnt tips but you can also do it yourself.
Sorry but in pretty new to this kind of stuff, can you explain what a header does? Why is this better than getting a exhaust? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this stuff I am severely new to the car scene
Stevehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #464
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehan View Post
Sorry but in pretty new to this kind of stuff, can you explain what a header does? Why is this better than getting a exhaust? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this stuff I am severely new to the car scene
The header is the section of exhaust that connects directly to the engine. The factory unit isn't a great piece, so you will get the most power from a header compared to an exhaust.

If you want the WRX sound, then you want an unequal length header. That will give you the typical Subaru rumble. There's plenty on the market, ranging from crap to really nice.

With that said, keep in mind that with any good header, a tune will be needed to correct fueling.
JohnJuan (11-25-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #465
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thank you good sir for being so brutally honest. You deserve our utmost respect!
We will help you.

(Sorry,..........just had to say that. I wish more bloggers were humble like this guy)

I have gone turbo, with AVOs unequal ceramic-coated setup included in their kit. I am VERY happy with it. See my garage for the rest of the mods.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #466
Stevehan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
The header is the section of exhaust that connects directly to the engine. The factory unit isn't a great piece, so you will get the most power from a header compared to an exhaust.

If you want the WRX sound, then you want an unequal length header. That will give you the typical Subaru rumble. There's plenty on the market, ranging from crap to really nice.

With that said, keep in mind that with any good header, a tune will be needed to correct fueling.
Thanks! I decided on getting a Invidia n1 but now I don't know any more should I get a n1 or a Uel header? If I go with the header what is the tune you said that I'll need?also what kind of power gains is it a little or a lot thanks.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 AM   #467
Stevehan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
Thank you good sir for being so brutally honest. You deserve our utmost respect!
We will help you.

(Sorry,..........just had to say that. I wish more bloggers were humble like this guy)

I have gone turbo, with AVOs unequal ceramic-coated setup included in their kit. I am VERY happy with it. See my garage for the rest of the mods.
Thanks and that's a great looking car you have! Adding headers will they be louder than exhausts?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #468
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks! I decided on getting a Invidia n1 but now I don't know any more should I get a n1 or a Uel header? If I go with the header what is the tune you said that I'll need?also what kind of power gains is it a little or a lot thanks.
Take a look at the engine tuning subforum, and also look for threads related to whichever unequal length header you like. There's tons of tunes out there. Its best to find what suits your needs and go from there.
Quote:
Thanks and that's a great looking car you have! Adding headers will they be louder than exhausts?
That all depends on which exhaust and header you opt for.

An aftermarket header with stock exhaust will be slightly louder.

A stock header with aftermarket exhaust will be slightly louder.

An aftermarket header with aftermarket exhaust will definitely be louder. Might be a lot, might be a little; all depends on which parts you go with. I'm sorry for the vague answer.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #469
93Targa
Brown rice

Drives: 93' Supra TT, 13' FRS
I recently picked up the demo model of the APEX'i N1 Evolution-R catback exhaust from APEX'i USA. They said that the production version would be released within the next few months.

The exhaust was very easy to install. The only problem I ran into was the left exhaust tip hanging a little bit lower than the right but I'll have an exhaust shop fix it.

Additional info:

-3 pieces
-89 decibels
-2.5" piping with dual rolled tips
-SUS304 Stainless Steel

Sound-clip from their Facebook page. Nice and deep compared to their RS Evolution Extreme model which seems to be a little raspy:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater

Pictures

93Targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #470
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Targa View Post
I recently picked up the demo model of the APEX'i N1 Evolution-R catback exhaust from APEX'i USA. They said that the production version would be released within the next few months
Any idea on pricing?
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #471
93Targa
Brown rice

Drives: 93' Supra TT, 13' FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Any idea on pricing?
MSRP was going to be $1099.00 USD.
93Targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #472
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was searching through the forums but couldn't find it; anyone have an takes on the SpeedFactory Daily Rage exhaust? I'm considering an exhaust, but am a bit stuck on the SpeedFactory or the Invidia N1. Thoughts?
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #473
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Works Exhale ABM exhaust- only one tip muffled?

Looks to me like only the right tip is muffled in this design-- most of the gas will just flow out the left tip because the right will have higher resistance to flow.

http://store.worksmotorsports.com/WO..._p/147.212.htm
Old 10-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #474
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Is there a consensus on who makes the most affordable catted header that is worth buying?
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #475
ofuts

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 MT
im looking for a silent exhoust with a deep sound, or switchable one, can not understand the DB from youtube videos very clearly. Any suggestions?
ofuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #476
RustyShackleford

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I welded a vibrant resonator onto this setup (on the mid-pipe) and it sounds much better, but still kind of annoying on start-up. I'll try to get some video so people can hear what it sounds like.

JDL UEL Headers (Catless)
Motiv Over Pipe
Motiv Front Pipe (High Flow Cat, no resonator)
Flowmaster Catback (Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator welded onto mid-pipe)

Last edited by RustyShackleford; 01-01-2015 at 12:27 PM.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote