follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Test Drove an AT FR-S today

Thanks to Joe Myers Scion in Houston, they have one black AT that they are selling just using to let people check the car out. Sales guy was very straight forward, no mark-ups the sticker price is the price you pay. If your in West Houston you should swing by and check the car out.

Interior impressions:
materials were better than I expected, soft touch dash, good quality plastics, seats are grippy and well bolstered. No blind spot issues and I found it easy to get a comfortable driving position. I'm 5'11 and torso tall and I had a bit of room behind me but not enough for an adult. The base stereo sounds decent but the head unit is definitely not attractive. The only other interior gripes I had was the fake piece of plastic that looks like carbon fiber across the dash. I'm sure folks will make replacement panels for that piece. I also will miss not having radio controls on the steering wheel, something I'm going to miss with this car.

Exterior Impressions:

Car is smaller than I expected. Black is not the best color for this car as it hides the design lines IMO. I don't think the wheel gap is that bad in person, not nearly as bad as the Mazda Miata. While you could lower it its not necessary for looks IMO. Paint looked uniform, some orange peel at the rocker panels but nothing unusual.

Driving impressions:

Engine is peppy and quick to respond to through inputs. No rev hang issues, the manumatic shifts quickly with with some authority. I didn't take the car over 4,000rpm but off idle there is plenty of get up and go. Steering is very direct and communicative, its a little lighter than I would prefer (I guess I like heavy steering) but doesn't feel over boosted like some electric racks. You know where the tires are pointed at all times and the suspension really absorbs a good amount of road bumps while remaining extremely flat in cornering. I didn't really push the car hard around corners but it just feels solid, planted and confident. Chassis is definitely designed to handle more power.

Overall I was very impressed, want to really push one around some corners to get a better feel for the performance limits but my first impressions were very positive and I'm thinking this is likely my next car later in the year.
brillo is offline   Reply With Quote