follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Barefootdan

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CSG Spec Tein Flex A Owners Thread

Now that people are starting to get delivery of the CounterSpace Garage Spec Tein Flex A Coilovers (CSG FLA), I thought it would be a good idea to start an owners thread. Mine just arrived this week and I’ll be putting them on shortly with a review of my experiences with them. If anyone wants specific photos, I’ll be glad to take some before, during, or after the install.

I’ll be running them on my 2017 BRZ with performance pack. I’ll combine them with the SPL rear lower control arms. Alignment settings will be -2.5 front and -2.0 rear and 0 toe all around to start. This is a daily driver with about one track event a month during the season.

Thanks to @Apex No.525300887039 for weighing the fronts at 6.1kg/13.4lb each, and rears at 4.8kg/10.6lb each.

UPDATE:

Background: This is my first coilover system on the Twins chassis. Although I am not new to coilovers in general. I have ran KW V1, Ksport Kontrol Pros, Buddy clubs in my WRX and ST Suspension in my Mini Cooper. I was not paid or told to do a review for this system. I never told CounterSpace Garage that I was going to do a review nor asked for any compensation by doing so. This is an honest opinion on the system.

Install: I have finally installed these this past weekend and driven a couple hours on them so far. I played around with the settings and got a good feel of how they act on the street. Next track event wont be until April. The install was very painless and easily doable alone. I installed SPL Rear Lower Control Arms at the same time as well. One thing to note is be sure to double check the torque spec on all of the coilovers. I had one front that needed the camber adjustment tightened and one rear that needed that tophat bolt torqued to spec as it was just hand tight. Installing them with the preset height gave me a wheel center to fender length of about 14" or so. I adjusted all corners for 13.25" and loving the height right now. Low but not scraping low. I can measure my systems exposed threads if anyone wants a general idea of where to start for this ride height. With that said, you are able to adjust the height of the rears with the wheel still on the car so that saves a good amount of time. The front was easier to just remove the wheel to adjust the height. Dont forget to torque the collars back to spec if you don't want any problems down the road! Mike shared a good tip on how to accomplish this: "Set your torque wrench, and put it in the square hole on the tightening wrenches. Now, make sure it's at a 90 degree angle with the tightening wrench, and the force will be passed on at a 1:1 ratio to the collar." One thing I did notice of the compatibility between SPL and the Flex A system is that the SPL control arms have two sets of mounting spots for the coilover to attach. The lower allowing for a lower ride height without sacrificing your suspension stroke since it places it down further. The Flex A wont fit in this spot due to how large the shock body is. I was forced to use the upper holes, but if you're not slamming your car, it wont be a huge problem for you. Lastly, the carpet in the trunk needs to either be trimmed or slit to allow room for the adjustment knob. I posted a photo below of how I accomplished this.

Ride Impressions: I first set the coilovers to the recommended adjustment of 8 clicks out in the front and 11 out in the rear. I was pleasantly surprised at the ride quality. It felt very composed and not jarring in anyway. It felt just as stiff as the stock ride in the 2017 with Sachs dampers but more refined. Whether or not it was a placebo effect was unknowing to me at the time. The car handles large expansion cracks and small potholes just fine. Arizona doesn't have any crazy potholes from snow but we do have cracks in our roads everywhere from the heat! I then played around with the settings and took my same loops to see how the car reacted. Going for a softer setup of 15 in the rear and 12 up front, I wanted to see the full spectrum of this system. Immediately, the difference was noticeable. All but the largest of road features were soaked up wonderfully. If the stock ride of the 17 BRZ with Sachs dampers is a 7 then this would be about a 6 or even 5.5 in my eyes. It is without a doubt a smoother ride than stock. Of course I had to see how the stiff side of the setup is! I ran 1 up front and 4 in the rear. It is hilarious how stiff it got. I laughed at feeling so much road that I didn't even think was able to transfer to the car. A fun experience and great to know I have such a good range of adjustability when I hit the track. I imagine landing in the 5 clicks from full stiff region for track driving. I took my girlfriend for a ride in the softer setup and she didn't even realize the car was on coils. She didnt notice it any softer than stock like I do, but she also doesn't ride in it 50 miles a day so its understandable. We both agreed there is a slight noise increase. The ride felt composed and not jarring but we were able to hear the road a bit more. Nothing crazy, but if you tried to hear for it, it was there. Im sure this is due to the new top hats compared to the rubbery stocks. Regardless, no complains about the ride is a pass in my books!

Here are some photos, I'll be sure to take an overall car picture once my car is clean

Front Height Before:

Rear Height Before:

Front Setup Comparison:

Rear Setup Comparison:

Installed! (P.S. The jack was only used to help hold the front assembly in place while I started the bolts by hand. I had two jack stands supporting the car weight )

The slit that was made to clear the adjustment knobs in the rear:

Front Height After:

Rear Height After:

Final Thoughts and Notes: Overall I would highly recommend this setup to anyone looking for a capable coilover system. If you're only using them for looks and daily driving, then this is still a great option to choose. You retain the stock ride characteristics with the option to go slightly softer or go-kart stiff. If you want to absolutely slam your car, make sure this system works with whatever rear control arms you are pairing them with. This combo (Flex A and SPL) won't get your car slammed. Be sure to check all torque specs before installing this system to your car! Also note that the adjustment dial on the dampers DO have more than 16 clicks of adjustment. Don't go full soft without counting and expect it to be 16. This can damage your damper. This is all noted in the manual but I know some, me included, don't read every paragraph.

UPDATE 2:
I really wanted to get some data collected for these coils. I felt that they were softer than stock but didn't know if it was just placebo to justify my purchase. I always read peoples reviews of car suspension online and saying how "It rides just like stock!" or "You can daily these easy!"...only to find out they are stiff and bouncy. Everyone's opinion of what is comfortable, loud, stiff, etc.. is different. Showing data is one way to prove, without an opinion, if something is actually softer, more controlled, and if it is what you are actually looking for. So below is my data analysis on the CSG FLA system. This is a basic overview with the tools I had at hand. I'm sure there are more advanced ways to collect and analyze data so input is always welcome for me to improve!

I started this process by first collecting data on my stock 2017 BRZ with the Performance Pack Sachs Dampers. I used my Iphone with a G-Force collecting app at a sample rate of 20Hz. The starting range is 1G. When force is applied, it increases, and decreases if I were to unload the suspension. I picked two sections of road that I was not happy with on the PP Dampers. I sampled each section of road three times. Using cruise control to hold my speed steady at each run, I also attempted to keep my inputs as steady as possible. This is as controlled as I could be without using a custom made environment.

Section 1: A section of freeway that is normally driven at 40mph during my rush hour commute. At this speed I would get some pretty gnarly rebound resonance that would just bounce and bounce like the suspension had not enough rebound damping (Correct me if this is wrong!). Also, the end of this section had a couple freeway expansion cracks as it went onto a bridge so it was a good test for harsh road features as well.

Section 2: A section of street that is normally driven at 46mph. It is in bad shape with all sorts of small potholes and cracks from the Arizona heat. The stock suspension felt just harsh in this area. I wasn't expecting a performance orientated suspension to handle this well anyways but I would like to see how the coils handle this extreme.

The orange lines in this image represent the Stock PP suspension, blue is for CSG FLA. The spikes for the expansion cracks occur at different times because of the difference starting times of the test. Generally they are around the same spot except for our last test. Looking at the freeway runs of the Stock PP suspension, we can see the strange resonance I would get. The shape appears as a repeating "W" shape. For example, around the 140-150 and 200-210 marks in run 1, 150-200 in run 2, and 260-275 in run 3. Also the spikes for the freeway cracks go from 1.48 G to 1.954 G.

Now lets look at the 3 blue lines for the first test. Right off the bat we can see how much smoother everything is. Very little, to none, instances of resonance. We often get one spike in G (hitting the bump/crack and the suspension compressing) then one decrease in G as the suspension settles. That is it. No bouncing or multiple oscillations for the suspension to settle. I noticed no resonating suspension characteristics in my ride anymore. We can now look at how the suspension handles harsh features with the expansion cracks. The spikes now range from 1.265-1.796. A decrease across the entire sample runs!

Looking at section two, we can also see a major decrease in maximum G across the board. The overall G levels have decreased as well, not only the maximums and minimums.

Here is an analysis of the overall max and mins as well as averages:

Starting in the top left table, we have our 3 runs for the freeway section. I collected the maximum and minimum G force for each run as well as the difference between the two. The bottom row shows the average for each. I highlighted the overall max and min as well. The table below is the same format with data from the second section. The table in the top right will take the averages and compare. From our first run, we see an average decrease in G forces of 13% for positive G and 61% in negatives. The overall difference from max to min G forces has decreased by 36%. For our section 2 street run, we see a decrease in G forces of 9% for positive forces and 27% in negative forces. The overall difference from max to min forces has decreased by 30%.

I then took only the positive G forces from the sample data and took the average. As well for negative G forces, they were sampled out and averaged. We can see a decrease in both at about 2.5%.

Overall, we can see in every instance of data, the CSG FLA is softer without a doubt. This is running at 15 rear clicks and 12 front clicks. So I can say, with data, CSG FLA is going to give a softer ride for you!

Share your settings and style of driving.

Share photos and reviews.

Ask any questions you might have!

As always, huge thanks to @CSG_Mike @CSG_David and @CounterSpace_Garage for the research and development of these coilovers.

Last edited by Barefootdan; 04-01-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Barefootdan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Barefootdan For This Useful Post:
brybot (11-01-2018), ChRZ (07-04-2018), Clutch Dog (08-09-2019), CSG Mike (03-15-2018), EffaressNOOB (03-27-2018), Goingnowherefast (06-02-2021), jkamelo (12-30-2020), jmark (03-15-2018), JSube (03-26-2018), juliog (04-02-2018), JustSomeGuy (03-15-2018), Kenny_LongWrench (04-01-2018), Mike Roadway (03-26-2024), My Key (04-04-2018), Rybot (03-13-2019), Shark_Bait88 (03-15-2018), TMF (11-02-2018), TofuJoe (03-15-2018), Turbo86 (03-18-2018), yEEt42069 (10-27-2021)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdan View Post
Now that people are starting to get delivery of the CounterSpace Garage Spec Tein Flex A Coilovers (CSG FLA), I thought it would be a good idea to start an owners thread. Mine just arrived this week and I’ll be putting them on shortly with a review of my experiences with them. If anyone wants specific photos, I’ll be glad to take some before, during, or after the install.

I’ll be running them on my 2017 BRZ with performance pack. I’ll combine them with the SPL rear lower control arms. Alignment settings will be -2.5 front and -2.0 rear and 0 toe all around to start. This is a daily driver with about one track event a month during the season.

As always, huge thanks to @CSG_Mike @CSG_David and @CounterSpace_Garage for the research and development of these coilovers.
In for the photos. how much lowering and pp wheels or?
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Barefootdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
In for the photos. how much lowering and pp wheels or?
I’ll be using the recommended height and damper settings to start. I’ll update you tonight with the center wheel to fender measurements that they list in the manual. As for wheels, I’ll still be using the pp wheels. I’m running 20mm spacers front and rear so far.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I’ll be using the recommended height and damper settings to start. I’ll update you tonight with the center wheel to fender measurements that they list in the manual. As for wheels, I’ll still be using the pp wheels. I’m running 20mm spacers front and rear so far.
sounds good, i look forward to your photos and thoughts as the flex a are an option for me
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have the standard Flex A, but it has the same general design layout. Just watch out for the spring lock collars and height adjustment lock collars. Make sure they are tight.

I've had the spring seat collars come loose and undo the preload.

The alignment shop I go to has also seen the height adjustment lock collar come loose over time due to the bowed metal thrust washer.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 03-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
I have the standard Flex A, but it has the same general design layout. Just watch out for the spring lock collars and height adjustment lock collars. Make sure they are tight.

I've had the spring seat collars come loose and undo the preload.

The alignment shop I go to has also seen the height adjustment lock collar come loose over time due to the bowed metal thrust washer.
Torque wrench is your friend for tightening those!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Quote:

The recommended ride height is just a recommendation. For a nicer ride, you want to sit a bit higher than the recommended height, for more travel before the HBS is engaged. You may also find using more clicks of damping preferable; street settings are usually to taste.

Track settings will be between 3 and 9 clicks from full, depending on the track surface conditions, tires, and downforce. Street tires will usually like to sit between 5 and 7.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (03-15-2018), brybot (11-01-2018), why? (06-26-2019)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
Barefootdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
sounds good, i look forward to your photos and thoughts as the flex a are an option for me
Looks like the recommended place to start for wheel center to fender is 13.2”
Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
Apex No.525300887039

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
I got mine yesterday, and weighed the fronts at 6.1kg/13.4lb each, and rears at 4.8kg/10.6lb each, just because I like to keep track of how much things weigh
Apex No.525300887039 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex No.525300887039 For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Torque wrench is your friend for tightening those!
I put my weight into tightening those spring lock collars and it still came off.

In any case, got in there and set it back. No issues since then.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
Barefootdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex No.525300887039 View Post
I got mine yesterday, and weighed the fronts at 6.1kg/13.4lb each, and rears at 4.8kg/10.6lb each, just because I like to keep track of how much things weigh
Added to the first post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Barefootdan For This Useful Post:
Apex No.525300887039 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #12
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
I put my weight into tightening those spring lock collars and it still came off.

In any case, got in there and set it back. No issues since then.
Set your torque wrench, and put it in the square hole on the tightening wrenches. Now, make sure it's at a 90 degree angle with the tightening wrench, and the force will be passed on at a 1:1 ratio to the collar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (03-16-2018), redhalo (04-03-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Quoted from elsewhere:

Remember, the rear is a multi-link setup, while the front is a strut. The construction and valving of the front and rear dampers are actually completely different. If you didn't know any better, you'd think they're for two different cars, if you took them apart!

Try using the whole range of settings, but you'll likely prefer +-2 clicks from the "comfort" setting for street driving, for literal comfort. The track setting will be condition and setup dependent.

The dampers are made to intentionally have a very fine resolution. Unlike 99% of dampers at this price point, each click will have a very definite, noticeable, and measurable effect on ride quality and damping.

Keep me posted with your personal findings!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Apex No.525300887039 (03-16-2018), Barefootdan (03-16-2018), Kenny_LongWrench (03-19-2018), Rybot (03-13-2019)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
Kenny_LongWrench
Tacticool_BRZ

Drives: ZC6 - AW11
Picking up mine, on my lunch, today. Will post pics.
Kenny_LongWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny_LongWrench For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (03-19-2018)