follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your Rotrex Unit on your Jackson Racing Supercharger?
No, and I have a C38-81 with 10,000 Miles or less 7 18.92%
No, and I have a C38-81 with 25,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C38-81 with 50,000 Miles or more 1 2.70%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 10,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 25,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 50,000 Miles or more 6 16.22%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 10,000 Miles or less 3 8.11%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 25,000 Miles or less 1 2.70%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 50,000 miles or more 0 0%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 10,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 25,000 Miles or less 2 5.41%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 50,000 Miles or more 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #43
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
you don't have to be a smartass.

Whats with the compressor surge?

Also, how much extra clearance did you get?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #44
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Whats with the compressor surge?

Also, how much extra clearance did you get?
If that's really compressor surge, here I am thinking that was normal all this time. My kw kit has always sounded like that since day one in between shifts. It didn't make that noise when the BPV was recirculated. I took the recirc hose off to make it VTA for the whooshing noises, both tuner and kw said it was ok unless i'm listening to something different than you are?

As far as clearance goes, I can tell you with a turbo blanket that the blanket rests lightly up against the fans. The turbo blanket isn't a perfect fit, but not a tight fit either. I've put heat tape over it as well. Without the turbo blanket I want to say you have a good .25-.5 inches of space? I'm not sure I would have to double check. It's a decent amount of room, definitely not hairline where you could only fit a piece of paper. the one thing I REALLY like about these fans though they are extremely easy to remove the fan. you remove two bolts at the top and the fans slides right out. So if you wanted to, idk why any one would, you could run with just one fan on the side you have more room. Not sure why someone would want to do that, but it's possible.

edit: just to be sure, I watched a couple of other kraftwerks owners videos and all their kits sound like that. So I'm not sure if that's compressor surge, or if that's just how the BPV sounds like. JRSC definitely sounds different.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 11-28-2018 at 01:37 PM.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #45
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
you clearly didn't watch the whole video... if you watched it until the end then you would have seen that happened. you're clearly missing my point. rotrex to rotrex jrsc or not have similarities. oil, maintenance, swapping boost pulleys to change boost settings, possible belt slip, BPV failures (JRSC specific you want to go there), having to ship to denmark for failure, and not to mention the compressor efficiency. Do you even know how to read those graphs? I'm simply just comparing pros and cons of turbo and supercharger at this point. Instead of ripping my opinions and details apart, why don't you provide some helpful info.

again like i stated in my last post, JRSC should be just fine for DD and CSGMike has said it's doable with JRSC and JROC for track duty. all I'm pointing out is that there are things to think about due to my experience that I have had with a c38, not once did I ever mention anything about a kraftwerks specific problem. Some people miss the few things stated above when it comes to supercharging vehicles which is why I'm sharing it since I've had experienced both setups before c38 and turbo.

how about you show us something informative? do you have any track videos? do you have a build thread? provide something helpful for the OP.
OK let's get serious. JRSC is more than just fine for dd; it has the best track record. I don't need to provide anything since there are SCCA championships and Ontario 1500 wins, google it. You are not making any sense at all and your comments do not inspire any confidence on your experience. You don't know what your are talking about and you probably don't know how to do FI. That is why *you* destroyed your engine. I am done with your bs.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #46
amcp1

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not taking side here but we're diverting from the topic at hand. Lets focus on the JR superchager kits and Rotrex reliability as Im sure there are people interested in the anecdotal info.
amcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amcp1 For This Useful Post:
Jfheisenberg (07-10-2020), pgranberg11 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #47
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
If that's really compressor surge, here I am thinking that was normal all this time. My kw kit has always sounded like that since day one in between shifts. It didn't make that noise when the BPV was recirculated. I took the recirc hose off to make it VTA for the whooshing noises, both tuner and kw said it was ok unless i'm listening to something different than you are?

As far as clearance goes, I can tell you with a turbo blanket that the blanket rests lightly up against the fans. The turbo blanket isn't a perfect fit, but not a tight fit either. I've put heat tape over it as well. Without the turbo blanket I want to say you have a good .25-.5 inches of space? I'm not sure I would have to double check. It's a decent amount of room, definitely not hairline where you could only fit a piece of paper. the one thing I REALLY like about these fans though they are extremely easy to remove the fan. you remove two bolts at the top and the fans slides right out. So if you wanted to, idk why any one would, you could run with just one fan on the side you have more room. Not sure why someone would want to do that, but it's possible.

edit: just to be sure, I watched a couple of other kraftwerks owners videos and all their kits sound like that. So I'm not sure if that's compressor surge, or if that's just how the BPV sounds like. JRSC definitely sounds different.
It could be the sound of an exposed BPV; I was (incorrectly) assuming you had a stockish KW setup, so scratch the first comment!

0.5 inches of space is not much! How close are your fans to the runners?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #48
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
OK let's get serious. JRSC is more than just fine for dd; it has the best track record. I don't need to provide anything since there are SCCA championships and Ontario 1500 wins, google it. You are not making any sense at all and your comments do not inspire any confidence on your experience. You don't know what your are talking about and you probably don't know how to do FI. That is why *you* destroyed your engine. I am done with your bs.

I just find it funny as if you're talking and responding to me as if i'm complaining about the JRSC kit. I'm not, I'm comparing. I already stated in my previous comment that CSGMike was right and I even said that JRSC was just fine for DD. LOL, I'm glad you think it's BS. I don't even know why you seem so upset. Did you even watch the entire video like I said since you asked to see my engine blow up? lol probably not, but it's ok. You know so much more than I am and I am so happy you are helping out the OP. And yep, totally I definitely don't know how to do FI at all. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcp1 View Post
Not taking side here but we're diverting from the topic at hand. Lets focus on the JR superchager kits and Rotrex reliability as Im sure there are people interested in the anecdotal info.
I've provided my reliability, and I COMPLETELY disclosed that I didn't own a JRSC, but I did have a c38 rotrex, but apparently my experience is null and void and doesn't count. I'm totally with you on this! I'm super interested to hear more folks chime in about since I came from a C38, jackson racing or not.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 11-28-2018 at 05:07 PM.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #49
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Find this thread as I'm leaning towards the jackson racing supercharger for my FI mod.

With FI you are taking risk, we know that. But if you do it 'right' from the start you can 'minimize' problems. Right now, my plan is to get the JRS kit with the dual radiator and engine oil cooler. Im hoping to push about 250-260 whp.

What is that SC fluid/filter that requires extra maintenance on this kit?
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #50
randing

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Is the fix for a bad Rotrex passed 3yr/36k to just buy a new Rotrex at full retail? What are the repair options once you're outside of warranty?

Last edited by randing; 08-28-2020 at 02:25 PM.
randing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #51
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randing View Post
Is the fix for a bad Rotrex passed 3yr/36k to just buy a new Rotrex at full retail? What are the repair options once you're outside of warranty?
Mine was out of warranty and the "sun shaft" broke. A guy in Texas fixed it for $600, and I have driven 3 track days with it going great.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 02:05 AM   #52
randing

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Mine was out of warranty and the "sun shaft" broke. A guy in Texas fixed it for $600, and I have driven 3 track days with it going great.
Glad to hear repairs are possible. Lots of places rebuild turbos, but rebuilding centrifugal superchargers isn't something I'm familiar with.
randing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #53
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randing View Post
Glad to hear repairs are possible. Lots of places rebuild turbos, but rebuilding centrifugal superchargers isn't something I'm familiar with.
People replace wheel sets, headers, exhausts, coilovers multiple times. I don't think replacing a compressor for ~$2000 is such a big expense. I just paid $5000 to replace my valve springs. My Rotrex unit is working just fine after 3 years and >30K miles. But I would just buy a new one if it fails. And, replacement is such a trivial job.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #54
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
People replace wheel sets, headers, exhausts, coilovers multiple times. I don't think replacing a compressor for ~$2000 is such a big expense. I just paid $5000 to replace my valve springs. My Rotrex unit is working just fine after 3 years and >30K miles. But I would just buy a new one if it fails. And, replacement is such a trivial job.
replacing the thing is the way to go, but I had nothing to lose except $600 and it worked out. YMMV

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #55
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
replacing the thing is the way to go, but I had nothing to lose except $600 and it worked out. YMMV
It is good to know that such an option exists. Thanks!