follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #1457
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I've seen some of your sparks!!! Sorta looked like this....

Last edited by Extreme86; 01-07-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added gif
Extreme86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #1458
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post
@Jyn RR336 has the cattle guards...after the 4th one or so they are not too bad. RR335 is the roller coaster run with about 4 or 5 good dips esp. when going fast. Bottom line is that lowered, you'd need to run quite a bit slower than those who push the envelope. Rule of thumb is faster drivers to the front and slower to the rear. Pretty sure we'll do a counter clockwise run and stop at 336 and 41 and then stop on the bridge on 335. We can wait for you to arrive at each of those spots before we take off again as you'll likely be heading up the rear a few minutes behind us when get get to those spots. Weather is the wildcard...if it is wet, we won't go. If it is dry and just cold, I'll be driving slower on curves anyway as my halfway worn down summer tires do not like cold weather at all! Dang PSS tires have been breaking loose on straight line acceleration on dry roads lately. (Parking lot drifting has been fun though.) Hope you can make it Jyn as twisties are fun regardless of the speed you drive them.
I'm aware - this would be my 3rd run with y'all. I find no fun in going slow though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
How low are you? As stated above if slow down for cattle guards you will have no issues. For 335 and the roll or coaster if you stay under 65 should be fine, lowered on coiloversat bottom out at anything oer 70ish. Always fun throwing sparks from your exhaust scraping.

-Alex
My drive height is about BC Extreme maxed out. I'm planning to raise it up about half an inch after I install my LCAs, but not sure if I'd get it done in time since my car's in the body shop currently
Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #1459
Scavanger
Avid searcher of things

Drives: Scion Fr-s 10 series
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Last time I did the run I got pulled over twice haha im gonna have to sit this one out though hopefully my car will be getting fixed by then (I got hit over the holiday) so I will have to wait until the next one but wish yall the best of fun because that's all it is haha
Scavanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #1460
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
So what's the qualification for fast in front and slow in back? What MPH are we talking? haha Just need to know where to put myself
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #1461
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavanger View Post
Last time I did the run I got pulled over twice haha im gonna have to sit this one out though hopefully my car will be getting fixed by then (I got hit over the holiday) so I will have to wait until the next one but wish yall the best of fun because that's all it is haha
:O so did I (over in Austin). Seems like a lot of people in Texas got their 86 bashed
Old 01-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #1462
Scavanger
Avid searcher of things

Drives: Scion Fr-s 10 series
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
that's because people don't know how to drive
Scavanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #1463
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Garage
Quote:
Twice? Then hit over the holiday? I feel your pain man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
So what's the qualification for fast in front and slow in back? What MPH are we talking? haha Just need to know where to put myself
LOL....If it's your first time on the Sisters then you might want to be mid-pack or towards the rear. @TEWwild can't make this run with us. When he is the lead car I am pretty challenged to keep up with him! (At times, I didn't even try!) And, it's not about keeping up with anyone really. Rule #1 is to be safe by staying in your lane and on the road...don't exceed you and/or your 86's limitations/abilities. Drive at your comfort level. My wife always indicates she wants me to return to her alive (and I'm inclined not to wreck my precious.) To be aggressive on the twists you'd be driving high RPMs accelerating followed by hard braking before entering a curve. Your first time out being unfamiliar with what is coming up around each bend, I doubt you'll be wanting to drive on the edge of capabilities. Leave the nannies turned on. Pretty sure that in some spots you'll be comfortable nailing the twists aggressively and the adrenaline rush will be apparent along with some white knuckles maybe! You'll need to be extremely cautious though...don't be distracted by the scenery cause you will have no time to do that unless we are on the straightaways! The closer you are to the car in front of you the more risk there is for road rash on your front end. I think @Jyn pointed out to me on one of our roadside stops on a previous run I had a busted fog light lens and it was cause I was mid-pack and rode too close behind the car in front of me! There were some loose gravel areas cause they were redoing some road sections awhile back. If we spot loose gravel we slow it down esp. on curves. Rain often runs across roads messing them up. Rocks sometimes fall from cliff-sides so be prepared to dodge an obstacle. One spot on RR336 might have cattle nearby and once they were on the road. Keep an eye out a be ready to shut er down if things slow abruptly for some reason. That's why we use radios. If we speed on straightaways we run the risk of running up behind slow traffic and in some straightaway spots we've seen radar - between Medina and Leakey & CampWood area to Leakey. Seeing as how we had someone wipe out the right side of his car on a guardrail on the first set of twists in to Leakey on the last run I think the lead driver (me or Steve or Alex if he joins us) will behave themselves. When we get to Leakey you can adjust your position in the pack where you think you'll be more comfortable. When I led a group on the Annual 86 day meet I completely lost them behind me on the first set of twists outside of Leakey! At the end of that set of twists, had to pull over for what seemed to be an eternity so they could catch up!!! So, I'm pretty much aware now that first time folks will want to take it easy. All depends on how aggressive of a driver you are. Again, my summer tires suck right now so I'm gonna be conservative out there if it is cold outside. I just hope we hit a nice dry day that Saturday! Right now with mostly the "maybe" status on everyone it's likely to be a small group. 6 -10 cars in a group is about the desired average size. Less than that we'll still have fun anyways! Also, if you have some FRS/GMRS radios...bring them. If not, I have a spare to lend.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #1464
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post
Twice? Then hit over the holiday? I feel your pain man.

LOL....If it's your first time on the Sisters then you might want to be mid-pack or towards the rear. @TEWwild can't make this run with us. When he is the lead car I am pretty challenged to keep up with him! (At times, I didn't even try!) And, it's not about keeping up with anyone really. Rule #1 is to be safe by staying in your lane and on the road...don't exceed you and/or your 86's limitations/abilities. Drive at your comfort level. My wife always indicates she wants me to return to her alive (and I'm inclined not to wreck my precious.) To be aggressive on the twists you'd be driving high RPMs accelerating followed by hard braking before entering a curve. Your first time out being unfamiliar with what is coming up around each bend, I doubt you'll be wanting to drive on the edge of capabilities. Leave the nannies turned on. Pretty sure that in some spots you'll be comfortable nailing the twists aggressively and the adrenaline rush will be apparent along with some white knuckles maybe! You'll need to be extremely cautious though...don't be distracted by the scenery cause you will have no time to do that unless we are on the straightaways! The closer you are to the car in front of you the more risk there is for road rash on your front end. I think @Jyn pointed out to me on one of our roadside stops on a previous run I had a busted fog light lens and it was cause I was mid-pack and rode too close behind the car in front of me! There were some loose gravel areas cause they were redoing some road sections awhile back. If we spot loose gravel we slow it down esp. on curves. Rain often runs across roads messing them up. Rocks sometimes fall from cliff-sides so be prepared to dodge an obstacle. One spot on RR336 might have cattle nearby and once they were on the road. Keep an eye out a be ready to shut er down if things slow abruptly for some reason. That's why we use radios. If we speed on straightaways we run the risk of running up behind slow traffic and in some straightaway spots we've seen radar - between Medina and Leakey & CampWood area to Leakey. Seeing as how we had someone wipe out the right side of his car on a guardrail on the first set of twists in to Leakey on the last run I think the lead driver (me or Steve or Alex if he joins us) will behave themselves. When we get to Leakey you can adjust your position in the pack where you think you'll be more comfortable. When I led a group on the Annual 86 day meet I completely lost them behind me on the first set of twists outside of Leakey! At the end of that set of twists, had to pull over for what seemed to be an eternity so they could catch up!!! So, I'm pretty much aware now that first time folks will want to take it easy. All depends on how aggressive of a driver you are. Again, my summer tires suck right now so I'm gonna be conservative out there if it is cold outside. I just hope we hit a nice dry day that Saturday! Right now with mostly the "maybe" status on everyone it's likely to be a small group. 6 -10 cars in a group is about the desired average size. Less than that we'll still have fun anyways! Also, if you have some FRS/GMRS radios...bring them. If not, I have a spare to lend.
Thanks for the info! I still have to get someone to cover me, but if I do, I will be on for sure. I've taken my car on some pretty twisty roads out past hunt and on the way to medina, but that's about all i've driven. I'm also familiar with them so I drive more aggressive. Since i've never done the three sisters, i'll probably tone it down a bit. As for a radio, I do not have one. So I may need one. I'm pretty excited about this so I hope I can make it!
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
AteMyShorts (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #1465
AteMyShorts

Drives: Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'll have an extra radio or two.
AteMyShorts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AteMyShorts For This Useful Post:
Extreme86 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #1466
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I still have to get someone to cover me, but if I do, I will be on for sure. I've taken my car on some pretty twisty roads out past hunt and on the way to medina, but that's about all i've driven. I'm also familiar with them so I drive more aggressive. Since i've never done the three sisters, i'll probably tone it down a bit. As for a radio, I do not have one. So I may need one. I'm pretty excited about this so I hope I can make it!
It's a great run that, at the very least, will provide some really nice scenic views of the hill country (easy way to get a girlfriend/wife to go). Like Ate mentioned, the #1 thing to remember is that you aren't racing anyone, we're just there for some lateral G's
Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #1467
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
It's a great run that, at the very least, will provide some really nice scenic views of the hill country (easy way to get a girlfriend/wife to go). Like Ate mentioned, the #1 thing to remember is that you aren't racing anyone, we're just there for some lateral G's
Isn't that the idea of the 86, to get some lateral G's?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #1468
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Isn't that the idea of the 86, to get some lateral G's?
I'd like to think so, though I'm a fan of many different type of Gs - G-strings, Gs in stacks, etc.)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #1469
OVR_RUN
Decepticon

Drives: 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
I'd like to think so, though I'm a fan of many different type of Gs - G-strings, Gs in stacks, etc.)

Quote:
yea i too got pulled over twice last time i went out, once while leading a pack lol...

January 24th Twisted Sisters Run - Weather Permitting or we'll reschedule.
1. Extreme86
2. AteMyShorts
3. weederr33 - maybe
4. Jyn - maybe
5. Turkish - maybe
6. zoth - gonna try
7. alv012 - tentative
8. OVR_RUN - tentative

Im going to try and make it to this one its been a while.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #1470
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Garage
In for all forms of "G's"! Including this one: