follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Flo

Drives: BRZ?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When did you "know"?

Can you pinpoint the moment you decided to get a BRZ? I am 99% there but I still have some doubts.

A little backstory.

I had a BMW 325xi. Great car but the maintenance caught up to her it was time to say goodbye. I had just had my 1st son and decided to get a "family" car so I ended up buying a new mazda CX-7... AWD turbo model of course. Not really a drivers car but plenty of room. We have another kid and my wife quits her job, so I take the loss and let her drive the CX-7 while I inherit her 06 nissan altima. Immediately I want to get something else. Started looking at the BRZ but could never find one.

BMW dealer rings me up to inform me they have the M235i in stock and ready for test drives. I go of course. Damn, that is exactly what I want. Holy shit sticker shock. Car was nearly $50k out the door. Way too much for me to swing on a single income.

So I take the mazda in for an oil change and walk over to the subaru lot to see whats up. Plenty of BRZs. I drive one. I really like it. It's not as fast or as luxurious as the BMW but it is nearly half the price and I dare say feels more like a "sports car" than the BMW (I would call it "touring" car). Of course they have a WRX there and I drive that too. It was faster, 5 doors way more practical, but it just didn't have that feel.

Basically I am 100% emotionally sold on the BRZ but something in my head is telling me no, you need more space, more power... or you should just keep driving the altima till the wheels fall off, wife is back at work and you can buy yourself the BMW you really want.

Am I the only one having arguments with themselves about this car? Did you take a long time deliberating the pros and cons or just lay down your cash the day they rolled off the boat?

Sorry for the stupid thread I find sometimes typing stuff out and letting other people tear it to shreds helps my thought process.

I was ready to sign the papers last week but we just had another round of snow ice and I am going out of town so I decided to wait till I got back to decide. If there is one thing I am good at its procrastinating.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Back in July. That's when I knew. Took till November till I pulled the trigger, though.

Check my sig, OP. Take a look at what I've owned. If you've already got a vehicle that has the room, your cargo and passenger needs are taken care of.

You're right, the WRX is indeed faster, but nothing at its price point beats the BRZ in sports car feel. That, and provided you and your wife aren't too tall, you can still put the munchkins in the back seats just fine.

The WRX is about as economical as the BRZ, in terms of tank range and financial costs, but isn't as fuel efficient. Also, it isn't as fun after a while unless you're doing something like RallyX. Trust me, that speed high wears off pretty quickly, but the handling high never goes away.

I don't regret trading the STI in for a BRZ... at ALL!

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Shedd22 (04-07-2015)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
namdoog

Drives: Crystal Black Silica BRZ
I was lucky enough to go to the Tokyo Auto Salon in 2012 with the performance company I was working for at the time. That was the first time I saw one in person and I really liked it. Then I was introduced to some engineers from Toyota who told me all about the car. That's when I knew I had to have it.

For the record, not that this is new info to most people, Toyota and Subaru engineers in Japan swear up and down there will never ever ever ever be a factory boosted version of this car.
namdoog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namdoog For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (03-06-2014), aruxe (03-24-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Better to air your concerns, albeit to complete strangers, rather than make a decision you might end up regretting.

Sounds like you have thought it through, and might possibly have higher expectations (from a luxury and size standpoint) than you are leading on.

Personally I would wait it out until the second income is back, and make a solid financial choice at that point. The economy is rocky and you may find that it's economically more viable to have your wife stay at home with the kids vs daycare costs, etc. (I'm in this situation as well). You don't want a brand new car loan (whether it's $25k or $50k) looming over your head at that point.

Good luck in whatever you decide!!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
When the development of this car was first made official.

The only question at that point was "when" would be able to get one...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
You already have the CX7, so you could trade in your Altima for a BRZ and still have a family car. Though if your budget is currently tight, then maybe you shouldn't be considering buying a new car.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Back when it was first announced.. and then when it came back from dead.. and then after TMS... and then after NAIAS.. and then after mine came with a case of Yuengling in the trunk.

Maybe it was really just that last time.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
dbrandt01

Drives: none
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I knew I wanted to trade my truck in. 7mpg was killing me. I test drove a camaro, corvette, and some other things. The next day I went to a Subaru dealer after watching hours of videos on the car, they gave me what I asked for, for my truck, gave me a low APR and we made a deal. It was a pretty sudden decision for me. I went and 3 hours later I had the car. My dad however previously test drove one so I knew how it was from another perspective.

While I wish there was more storage inside, the power isn't that big of a complaint. I still have fun in this car.
dbrandt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Flo

Drives: BRZ?
I honestly think I am OK with the power. The BMW dealer let me test drive the M235i by myself and I was easily doubling posted limits in that car... I would get myself thrown in jail I think with that much power. My 325xi had around 200hp, the altima is around 175 (it has probably lost a good amount of those though lol). Neither of these cars have the driving feel of the BRZ, BMW close but it was at 140k miles and AWD.

I also have a motorcycle, I thought about just buying a fast bike because you really can't beat a bike for speed/dollar. My current bike is a 650 single, it barely makes 50hp but it makes me grin from ear to ear every time I ride it. THAT is what I am looking for in a car.

My brother had a 135i that I loved to drive but hated to look at. I think they nailed the looks of the 2 series, it is just too much. OK there is the 228 4 cylinder, I also drove that but it felt heavy without the M suspension bits, once you started adding that stuff back on it because expensive pretty quick.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I had stalked the BRZ online for almost a year. Finally seeing it in person sealed the deal for me. I had to have it!!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Took a test drive in an FRS then a Mustang. I knew after the first turn in the Mustang, was decided after the second, finished out the salesman recommended drive and started planning the purchase.

No amount of power or luxury can compensate after I saw how good a modern sports car chassis can be.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-06-2014), SirBrass (03-05-2014), Ultramaroon (03-27-2015)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It all started when I realized that my '10 Civic Coupe EX lease was going to expire in a year & half in December of 2011. I began to think about potential car options, ranging from the genesis coupe, accord coupe, or the twins. Then I saw a FRS on the road in May 2012. I had my first live encounter with a BRZ in July of 2012.

This was my facial expression

ಥ__ಥ

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
dirtymax
Gold Member

Drives: 14' SWP BRZ MT limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Was checking out forums and youtube vids to get the best year s2000 and then the 86 showed up on a s2000 vs 86 shoot out youtube clip and I was hooked. Saw one in person a month later and I had to have it, then made the 5 hour trip to the dealer to get one

I have two kids, 5 and 10. They fit ok but not much room behind driver. The trunk space is tiny and getting in and out of this thing is a bit hard for a daliy car but I love driving it so much
dirtymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
Chauntalei

Drives: Non-BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Had been following the development of the car for a while. Got a chance to sit in one about a month before the first deliveries in 2012, and I was sold immediately. Didn't even drive one until I picked my own car up in May 2012. Just sitting in it was enough.

2013 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT - 5/28/2012-10/28/2014
Chauntalei is offline   Reply With Quote