follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 06-30-2018, 04:52 AM   #16927
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Black & Yellow

Keeping the Series.Yellow theme intact by tinting the center of the taillights and reverse bar.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History

Last edited by dhuang; 06-30-2018 at 05:03 AM.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 AM   #16928
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
Keeping the Series.Yellow theme intact by tinting the center of the taillights and reverse bar.

Where did you get your tail light tint from? It looks a bit darker than mine
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #16929
xenarc

Drives: 2017 SUBARU BRZ
@Stang70Fastback, that BRZ looks sexy. Those HRE wheels are on point.
xenarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #16930
xenarc

Drives: 2017 SUBARU BRZ
I ordered a roll of 6mm pinstripe but it's too thin, I had to do a double stripe for the front bumper. I am going to order 12mm and re do it again. For now this is the result:

xenarc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xenarc For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #16931
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Since it was 90 in the shade today, I decided it was a good time to tackle the Full Blown Walbro 485 fuel pump install I've been putting off for a couple months now........frickin' moron. All I can say is, it's in, no leaks and thank God for this forum... 'cause there were no cockadoodie instructions!
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:44 AM   #16932
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Where did you get your tail light tint from? It looks a bit darker than mine
eBay!

Old 07-01-2018, 03:17 AM   #16933
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Headers and danger to the manifold

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricepuddin For This Useful Post:
re-animator (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 12:26 AM   #16934
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Love the plate.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
dhuang (07-02-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #16935
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
So normally, I wouldn't even slightly mod my new 2018 BRZ, but so many of you have added spacers to get a flush look, I thought the very slight increase in understeer wouldn't be a problem. So today, I received a set of 20mm spacers from ft86speedfactory -- their own brand -- and put them on the rear wheels. So many have said that 20 in front and 25 in back would be perfect. Their spacers are really well built, hub centric, and just good looking. The only other functional mod I made on the car was replacing the OEM Primacies with 225 PS4S.

After taking the car on a test drive today, the handling was an absolute disaster. Severe understeer and more difficult cornering. As for looks, to my eyes the poke was about 5mm too much on the rears, which really surprised me. I know the 225's are slightly wider than the stock 215's, so perhaps that is one of the issues. I think the understeer was multiplied by the extra sticky tires I had. I know that also putting spacers on the front will reduce some of the understeer, but I hate the look of poke in the front and if 20's were too big in the rear, then I'm not sure there is a good solution. If I'm only going 10-15's, it just isn't worth the effort in my book. I did have the advantage of taking a test drive just before and then one right after and perhaps that amplified the difference. I owned Porsches for 27 years so I am very sensitive to handling and suspension.

I guess I don't understand why this isn't more of an issue here. But I've learned a lesson that the Subaru/Toyota engineers knew what they were doing when "balancing" this car. No more mods for me except for accessories and perhaps an audio upgrade.

So I'll take them off tomorrow and put them up for sale at half price or so plus shipping. They are the nicest spacers I've ever purchased. Years ago, I did use some spacers on a couple of cars but I guess they were not as sensitive as this one....
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
dhuang (07-04-2018), monkeybike (07-04-2018), speed-wiz (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #16936
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I guess I don't understand why this isn't more of an issue here. But I've learned a lesson that the Subaru/Toyota engineers knew what they were doing when "balancing" this car. No more mods for me except for accessories and perhaps an audio upgrade.
I know what you mean, the PP BRZ is just that good from the factory. This past Monday I put on some RCE Yellow springs on my Series.Yellow, and while the jury is still out until it settles and I get it properly aligned, I felt like it took away from the spirit of the car. I'm still on the fence about spacers to round out the appearance, but not if it compromises the drivability.

The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
rvoll (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 04:37 AM   #16937
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Besides a drop in air filter, I haven’t been tempted into many mechanical mods yet.
I’d like a drop in ride height but I’m happy with the handling on the PP out of the box.
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #16938
rvoll

Quote:
I know what you mean, the PP BRZ is just that good from the factory. This past Monday I put on some RCE Yellow springs on my Series.Yellow, and while the jury is still out until it settles and I get it properly aligned, I felt like it took away from the spirit of the car. I'm still on the fence about spacers to round out the appearance, but not if it compromises the drivability.
I know exactly what you mean by "the spirit of the car". A lot of what people are willing to accept is psychological. If the car is slammed (lowered) and big wheels/tires are put on, they tell themselves they are really riding in a supercar. In reality, driving the car is far less "fun" and certainly less balanced. By the way, I've also tracked cars and there you are looking for the best lap times and not a "balanced" fun drive. Taking a properly setup track car on the streets is also a disaster if you really enjoy driving. I guess after so many years, I just don't think you can really have both. Even the "supercars" I've owned in the past were balanced for the streets.
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
dhuang (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #16939
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,211 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I know exactly what you mean by "the spirit of the car". A lot of what people are willing to accept is psychological. If the car is slammed (lowered) and big wheels/tires are put on, they tell themselves they are really riding in a supercar. In reality, driving the car is far less "fun" and certainly less balanced. By the way, I've also tracked cars and there you are looking for the best lap times and not a "balanced" fun drive. Taking a properly setup track car on the streets is also a disaster if you really enjoy driving. I guess after so many years, I just don't think you can really have both. Even the "supercars" I've owned in the past were balanced for the streets.
Sorry you feel that way but I don’t think it’s right for you to speak for others in the same or similar position (RCE Yellows on a PP setup). I know myself, and probably plenty of others, are having a great, fun time driving these on twisty roads and adding springs like the Yellows increase the feeling even more. The car still feels plenty balanced.

Most likely you just feel a certain way about driving and that’s fine but it’s probably wrong to start generalizing as you are like it’s ruining the fun for everybody.

At least that’s what I got out of your last couple of posts.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #16940
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Sorry you feel that way but I don’t think it’s right for you to speak for others in the same or similar position (RCE Yellows on a PP setup). I know myself, and probably plenty of others, are having a great, fun time driving these on twisty roads and adding springs like the Yellows increase the feeling even more. The car still feels plenty balanced.

Most likely you just feel a certain way about driving and that’s fine but it’s probably wrong to start generalizing as you are like it’s ruining the fun for everybody.

At least that’s what I got out of your last couple of posts.
We all do things on our cars that make us "feel" better. If you like a stiffer, less comfortable ride, then there is nothing wrong with your choices. My point is that FROM A PERFORMANCE PERSPECTIVE, you really haven't gained much, if anything on this particular car. There is virtually nothing you gain from extra wide wheels/tires or a car that is lowered significantly other than looks. So I apologize for seeming to put you down, that was not my intent. My point was that you will get little or no performance benefit from doing so. I tried putting on spacers and found there was no benefit to doing so, in fact it made the car worse IMO. Could an expert dial those spacers in to make the car handle as well? Perhaps but not better. So the only reason to do it is to make your wheels look more flush. For me, I prefer better performance even if the flush wheels looked a little better.

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere