follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #99
FT-86FeverXD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car?

I have watched this interesting video before. This show is talking about there are NO different efficiency between using premium and regular gas. Hope this input helps.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU"]Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace) - YouTube"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU"]Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by FT-86FeverXD; 10-15-2015 at 03:45 PM.
FT-86FeverXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #100
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86FeverXD View Post
I have watched this interesting video before. This show is talking about there are NO different efficiency between using premium and regular gas. Hope this input helps.

Can't see the video but they are right there is no difference in efficacy. What there is a difference in is knock prevention in a high compression engine. That is what premium is for not improved efficacy.
You can run premium in a car meant for regular gas but it does nothing. You can not however run regular in a car needing premium because you can toast it (if you do it all the time).
Old 10-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #101
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Can't see the video but they are right there is no difference in efficacy. What there is a difference in is knock prevention in a high compression engine. That is what premium is for not improved efficacy.
You can run premium in a car meant for regular gas but it does nothing. You can not however run regular in a car needing premium because you can toast it (if you do it all the time).
Saw that video a while back. They interviewed a dude running regular gas in a corvette. He said no issues so far. I said to myself "good luck dude when shit happens to your car". Comments section of the video called out the BS they were explaining throughout.

How I understand things, if you putter around town and don't ever do any spirited driving, you'll be fine. However, things will happen once you start taking the engine to higher RPM range.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #102
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been using Costco gas for the past few months in my car. Great gas. I don't feel a difference between Costco, Chevron, or Shell. Price is muchh cheaper also. Also I don't get harassed by bums wanting money whenever I go to ANY Shell or Chevron. Only negative, like others say is the line. If you go early in the morning between 7-8 AM, there are virtually no lines. Also our cars have the gas tank on the passenger side. Hardly any cars go on the passenger side pumps.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shattered_memory For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #103
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I put 89 on my gf's old mazda so her engine run smoother..... or knock less... not sure how that work... like the engine vibrates a lot less.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote