follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
DIY - Seatbelt Silencers

One of my pet peeves with this car is the rubbing/friction sound that occurs as the seatbelts press agains the leather seatbelt retaining straps. My car is a ’13 BRZ Limited with leather/Alcantara seats, so YMMV. I finally got around to doing something about it. This costs less than $10, and completely resolves the offending sound.

You will need 1 pair of any athletic “6 Inch Wrist Sweatband” of your choice. I used black WILLBOND 6 Inch Wrist Sweatband Sport Wristbands Elastic Athletic Cotton Wrist Bands for Sports: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You’ll also need a needle and thread; you can get a kit at CVS for five bucks if you don’t have anything. You also might find a fish tape or similar to be helpful for the install.

The pictures below are pretty self-explanatory. Remember that these are function over form, and my goal for appearance was "not ugly".

Start with one pad and a pretty good length of thread.

Fold the pad lengthwise. The strap will fit inside the middle, so leave enough room for that when you sew this.

Start sewing. Needle in one side and out the other, move over about 1/4", then back into the same side and out the other, and repeat. Reinforce the areas where you start and end the stitch with a little extra threading.

Done. Next to the install. You just need to unbutton the strap, slide the strap through the pad, and button the strap back to the seat. It is a little tight, so you may find it easier to use a tool to push the strap through. Here I am using a fish tape.

Push the tape through the pad, put some electric tape around the strap, and pull the strap through the pad. Button the strap back to the seat. Done. Enjoy!

Last edited by tobin; 06-02-2019 at 09:49 AM.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobin For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-02-2019), jordan7831 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
bee-jay

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I never used the straps from day 1. the're a PITA.
just leave the belts outside of them.

but a good fix if you use them
you can find those padded thingies on Dog harness too. might be easier.
bee-jay is offline   Reply With Quote