follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 AM   #1
juniorrr

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ikonmotorsports Widebody?

I’m currently looking at widebody kits and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Ikonmotorsports widebody? I’ve seen on YouTube 2 ppl run it and the fitment is actually very very decent. But I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with it first hand and would recommend the body kit or not?
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
inb4 lmgtfy
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 AM   #3
.Abraham

Drives: 2013 Raven Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just recently put on the ikonmotorsports rb v1 style kit on mine and the fitment is honestly not that bad. There is some fitment issues near the gas cap and the rear fenders in the sense that they are not completely flush. The fitment issue is really small though, you cannot really notice it. Obviously, if you do go with the original rb v1, there will be less fitment issues and it will be out of fiberglass rather than abs.
.Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to .Abraham For This Useful Post:
juniorrr (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Abraham View Post
I just recently put on the ikonmotorsports rb v1 style kit on mine and the fitment is honestly not that bad. There is some fitment issues near the gas cap and the rear fenders in the sense that they are not completely flush. The fitment issue is really small though, you cannot really notice it. Obviously, if you do go with the original rb v1, there will be less fitment issues and it will be out of fiberglass rather than abs.
For the fitment issues did you shave anything down or cut anything at all to fix it? I’ve seen people on YouTube just bolt it right up and everything looked pretty good. Also have you had any issues with the kit shrinking and expanding according to the weather? I need to find a legit guide to installing this because I want to do it properly.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
doing it properly will have to require fiberglass since you really can't "build" abs. So after trimming to make the kit fit, i'm not sure what other routes you can take besides bondo.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
.Abraham

Drives: 2013 Raven Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got mine installed by a guy, he has a channel on youtube called Jonny the Car Doctor. He said he didn't struggle much to install it, but that there was that issue of it not fitting completely flush since it is a rep kit. The tabs on the kit can be trimmed off for a better fit if needed. The fitment issues are very minimal though, and not very noticeable. So far its held up no problems against weather and it gets to 100 degrees here. As for the installation process, look at past posts in the forums or on youtube, it does require cutting the front and rear fenders.
.Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to .Abraham For This Useful Post:
juniorrr (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Boring... Boring... Boring... Yawn... Boring... Boring.. where are the fucking photographs???
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Biggest issues with the Ikon kit being they don't sit flush against the door body line, which is a pretty big give away they aren't real, and the bolt locations aren't really defined like the real kit. Both of my rear flares have cracks forming on one of the center bolt locations. You can also tell it's a knockoff by looking at the edges as they are more rounded instead of squared off.

You can see the door line, and 3rd from the back is the one that is cracking on mine (both sides)

Old 06-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Abraham View Post
I got mine installed by a guy, he has a channel on youtube called Jonny the Car Doctor. He said he didn't struggle much to install it, but that there was that issue of it not fitting completely flush since it is a rep kit. The tabs on the kit can be trimmed off for a better fit if needed. The fitment issues are very minimal though, and not very noticeable. So far its held up no problems against weather and it gets to 100 degrees here. As for the installation process, look at past posts in the forums or on youtube, it does require cutting the front and rear fenders.
Awesome thanks for your info bro! Do you know if he made a video installing your widebody by chance? Yeah my only concern was that it would shrink and expand over time and crack overtime but seeing that you haven’t had any issues with that seems like i should be good! Do you know if he had to cut or shave the widebody kit when installing it?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Biggest issues with the Ikon kit being they don't sit flush against the door body line, which is a pretty big give away they aren't real, and the bolt locations aren't really defined like the real kit. Both of my rear flares have cracks forming on one of the center bolt locations. You can also tell it's a knockoff by looking at the edges as they are more rounded instead of squared off.

You can see the door line, and 3rd from the back is the one that is cracking on mine (both sides)

How did your rear flares crack? My concern is them cracking from the weather intervals. I don’t care too much about minimal issues with being flush. For a replica widebody the fitment is pretty damn good with minimal things a little off. Did you have to cut or shave the widebody cut by chance when installing it?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
How did your rear flares crack? My concern is them cracking from the weather intervals. I don’t care too much about minimal issues with being flush. For a replica widebody the fitment is pretty damn good with minimal things a little off. Did you have to cut or shave the widebody cut by chance when installing it?
I am assuming just due to weather.

I had quite a bit of cutting/shaving. Shaving around the gas door to allow it to open without hitting. Cutting tabs off the rear flares so they would fit correctly, and sanding to make sure tires wouldn't rub.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #12
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
inb4 lmgtfy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
I am assuming just due to weather.

I had quite a bit of cutting/shaving. Shaving around the gas door to allow it to open without hitting. Cutting tabs off the rear flares so they would fit correctly, and sanding to make sure tires wouldn't rub.
Hey i forgot to ask you what was your Wheel / tire spec and offset? and spacers if you used any