follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #3067
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey8748 View Post
Got it installed. There is plenty of adjustment in it to get you where you are comfortable. It weighs 11pounds with all the screws. You'll need 4 m8x25mm bolts amd washers for the seat and a 7/16 bolt, washers and nut about an inch long for the seatbelt. It comes with new frame bolts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Curious about why you chose this over the buddy club. Good to have options though.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #3068
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What seat did you use? I couldn't really get either Buddy Club or PCI bracket to work with my Sparco Evo II. I think the wider seats like that just require a custom fabbed bracket.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #3069
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I'm seeing both options advocated in different threads and I'm wondering if there is a consensus among STX racers on this matter...

Pedal dance or button press for racing? I'm new to racing the twin and so far my limited experiments have indicated that the long button press allows me to drive well beyond the fast angle of slip without detecting any electronic assist and also that the brake bias seems to be much better with the pedal dance. I supposed the preference is a matter of if one's braking techniques tend to trigger ice mode? If not then go pedal dance but if so then go long press?
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #3070
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The long press method still leaves the electronic diff-assist active, but it almost never intervened when I ran in CS trim last year. (Twice over the course of the whole season IIRC) The long press method leaves EBD active which suits me well.

The Pedal Dance apparently kills the diff assist *and* EBD.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
e1_griego (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #3071
CoolHandMoss

Oh okay. I had been under the impression that the long press left traction and stability control functional to a minimal extent. That's good to know.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #3072
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
It's also different for 2017 cars (button functions). All I use on my 2017 is the button press (mode 4). I used pedal dance on my 2013 FRS.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #3073
chickunfut
Low-Buck Ramp Truck

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release 2.0 #502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
What seat did you use? I couldn't really get either Buddy Club or PCI bracket to work with my Sparco Evo II. I think the wider seats like that just require a custom fabbed bracket.
GSpeed makes a seat mount specifically designed for the 86.

https://gspeed.com/product/brzfr-s86...ro-seat-mount/

I believe there’s also a thread where they used the evo II with this mount.
chickunfut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chickunfut For This Useful Post:
e1_griego (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #3074
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
So I'm seeing both options advocated in different threads and I'm wondering if there is a consensus among STX racers on this matter...

Pedal dance or button press for racing? I'm new to racing the twin and so far my limited experiments have indicated that the long button press allows me to drive well beyond the fast angle of slip without detecting any electronic assist and also that the brake bias seems to be much better with the pedal dance. I supposed the preference is a matter of if one's braking techniques tend to trigger ice mode? If not then go pedal dance but if so then go long press?
Try both. I was never able to drive right for PD, terrible ice mode issues. I expect there to be even fewer reasons for me to try now that I'm in a '17.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #3075
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickunfut View Post
GSpeed makes a seat mount specifically designed for the 86.

https://gspeed.com/product/brzfr-s86...ro-seat-mount/

I believe there’s also a thread where they used the evo II with this mount.
Yeah I just got tired of spending money on it lol. The stock seats are pretty good, and I also like being able to trade cars with people here and there which means a one-position seat makes that less viable.

I may buy another seat to try it out, but for now I replaced the old Evo 2 in one of my other cars.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #3076
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Nothing to do but experiment.
I used it for awhile but stopped, as mentioned it disables multi-channel abs so if you tap the brakes mid-corner to settle the car with pedal dance active it won't be nearly as effective as doing the same with the long-press, the long press will also give you better stopping power when trail braking while pedal dance mode will release brake pressure due to an unloaded wheel. The flipside is with the pedal dance it's super easy to put weight on the front of the car and get rotation under braking, if you're struggling to get the car to rotate on corner entry (and you've already tried maxed out front camber) it might be a useful tool. Maybe if you've got equal spring rates front and rear it'll help there.

If you're getting ice mode with pedal dance adjust your braking, you don't need to be so abrupt on the pedal, it can be driven around and you can brake just as hard in a straight line as without pedal dance. I went back because I felt that the only advantage was corner entry rotation while losing how effective the brakes can be in adverse conditions (poor grip, too late on the brakes, or mid-corner) and after testing the long press again I realized I was happy with corner entry without the pedal dance. It'll be mostly a driver confidence/preference thing imho.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #3077
CoolHandMoss

Thanks for the responses on this. The Dixie tour in March will be my first event in the car and I'm thinking I'll just go with the long press without having had much opportunity to test out the differences for myself.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #3078
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Curious about why you chose this over the buddy club. Good to have options though.
I couldn't find a reliable weight anywhere. And mixed reviews about buddy clubs durability.

jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbailey8748 For This Useful Post:
cjd (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #3079
jbailey8748

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I've got a sparco Evo2. Fits perfectly

Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #3080
jbailey8748

Garage
Quote:

The button press only will cause you to spin if you get a bit too sideways, pedal dance let's you control the car a bit more so you can drive it out of the spin.