follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need some help/advice buying my first BRZ/FRS

Need some advice guys..

Some things fell into place earlier than expected this year which was a blessing. I'm now ready to purchase a BRZ or FRS and willing to drive ~100miles from LA to get one.

I called all the LA based Subie dealers today. Some straight up told me how much markup they charge. Van Nuys charges $2k over. Glendale charges an insane $5k over. I actually laughed out loud by accident over the phone.

Asides from ordering outright (I already did but looooong wait), what strategy has worked for you guys?

Thanks!

BTW: If any dealers are reading this. PM me if you have a White 6AT. I've got cash in hand
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wish you the best of luck, seriously. Part of the reason I went with an FR-S, was the markup on BRZs...lack of inventory...and distance to a Subie dealer (if it needed warranty work).

After talking with my dealer (Longo Scion), they told me the whiteout was the most popular color (for them). They had 18 people on a waiting list for a whiteout MT! Unfortunately, I think you'll be waiting a while for a whiteout MT BRZ.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and you can find one sooner! Best of luck!
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
vubaru
Now with Boost!

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
My advice for a BRZ: Look out of state. Also, pray.

My advice for FRS: Keep your eyes peeled to the online dealer inventories and websites like edmonds.com and you might be able to get one at MSRP in-state. Otherwise, look out of state. You will find one at MSRP.
vubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i waited 8 wks for my whiteout but its worth the waiting
Old 08-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
Gamboa1047

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I live in the LA area too. I called 16 dealers around here and they either didn't have it in stock or they marked it up. I just suggest calling around and asking the salesmen to check what he has in stock(mostly likely nothing) and what he has on its way. I got lucky and found a dealer thats has what I was looking for on its way. It should be getting here next week(crossing my fingers).And Get your name on waiting lists. The deposit free ones. Good luck.
Gamboa1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
My advice for a BRZ: Look out of state. Also, pray
This is how I got my car . Got it from Oregon. $1000 under MSRP, $500 to ship to so cal, 10mi on the odometer. Apparently the car was a duplicate order.

I also know two other ppl who went out of state for theirs. One bought from CO, another from UT. Both were somewhere around 500-800 under MSRP and cost that amount to ship to CA.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
oh i really don't want to do this but there's a dealer here in socal that is getting a SWP Manual Limited BRZ with zero mark up, coming in soon. you apparently haven't call all the dealerships around here. Galpin, Renick, Bob Baker are places you wanna shop because they don't mark up.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
This is how I got my car . Got it from Oregon. $1000 under MSRP, $500 to ship to so cal, 10mi on the odometer. Apparently the car was a duplicate order.

I also know two other ppl who went out of state for theirs. One bought from CO, another from UT. Both were somewhere around 500-800 under MSRP and cost that amount to ship to CA.
Mind if I ask what's the process to register these cars in CA? I imagine it's not a big deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
oh i really don't want to do this but there's a dealer here in socal that is getting a SWP Manual Limited BRZ with zero mark up, coming in soon. you apparently haven't call all the dealerships around here. Galpin, Renick, Bob Baker are places you wanna shop because they don't mark up.
Called Galpin but thanks for the Renick and Bob Baker lead! Apparently google didn't provide an extensive enough list of Subie dealers for me.

Just stay away from Glendale and Van Nuys. Goodness.. those markups are simply insane. The lady also had the nerve to tell me that they would not negotiate at all and good luck in my search. Yikes...
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Yeah it's a simple process. The dealership will basically prep the DMV paperwork for both ca and their state. Their state paperwork is for them to issue a temp reg that will be viable in ca for 30 days. When the car arrives, you'll then submit the ca paperwork to your local DMV. You then just pay the difference in tax title and license, if you owe any (my dealer rolled the cost of ca tax and reg directly to my out the door price, so I owe nothing when I go to the DMV). You MAY be required to get the car smogged though.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
RYU (08-30-2012)