follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Canyoncarver

Drives: MY04 S2000 (LEXY)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbafandan View Post
I was just walking around till a wild FRS appeared, so I just used my pokewallet and captured it.
Hahahahaha
Canyoncarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Wavered from my usual Acura sedan, Honda Accord etc when my lease on a 08 Accord ran out Oct '11. Bought an xB for a utility vehicle that I could buy and pay cash for. It was different, and at the time Scion had just started their first year in the Canadian market. After getting the xB I somehow stumbled on the 86 development online, first with the red concept vehicle that was the only thing released right until the car was revealed in New York as I recall. I realized that by purchasing a cheaper vehicle last time, maybe I could just go ahead and buy an FR-S. at first I planned to sell the xB (7 months old, take a big loss for sure) but eventually decided I might as well drive it in the winter and get some value for my depreciation.

Also, say the twins at the '12 Toronto Auto Show. The Scion FR-S display was kinda low key.

When I received an email that they were taking orders I went in same day. When the first round of units delivered in my area I received one of the first 3 to arrive at my dealer.

At one point I considered cancelling and getting the Subaru but figured in the long run this car won't be about a proximity key and dual climate control. In fact I find myself removing clutter from my car (the growl tube apparatus). I will own other vehicles with the luxury stuff, but this car doesn't need it to keep my love.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd been following the development of the car for awhile on other message boards. It was just the kind of car I'd been looking for when I bought my tC.

When the 1st 86 folks started getting their cars last May I figured we were close to actual launch, so when I was at the Toyota dealership getting my tC serviced, I went down to the Scion showroom and put down a deposit on an FR-S. A week later, I took it off the lot.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
GIMMICK

Drives: FR-S
Gran Turismo 5 . . . it felt underpowered then too. I thought it was only going to be a Japanese release only model. Imagine my suprise when I saw my first one on the freeway.
GIMMICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I happened to hear about it a little over a year ago. I saw an online contest for some First 86 program, and thought why not, I'll sign up for it.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
JanLov

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
I never heard about it. I happened to be at the dealership one Saturday morning in September, because my 13 year old Avalon needed some attention. In the last month prior I was considering buying a Toyota Corolla, and couldn't bring myself to buy it. It was 7:45 am, and I was just browsing the showroom, when I eyed this beauty. The saleswoman, saw that I was interested, took it out for a test drive, and I bought it 3 hours later. I never thought I would be buying a car period. Traded in my 98 Avalon, and 92 Miata. It is certainly a special car!
JanLov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
boonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS whiteout
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Use to be on nicoclub(Nissan forum). Seen the first images/concept of the car a few years back and wanted something different than the s13. Lost track/interested in the car for a while since I didn't think it was ever going to come out. I needed a new car back in June since my s13 was totaled and I was shopping around for a new rear wheel drive car. The rest is history.
boonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
There was a concept of a Toyota Subaru silver hatchback in a car magazine that didn't look pleasing, but did announce rumors that the two companies were working on a car together.

Everyday since the FT86 concept was revealed in 2009, I googled "FT86 concept" and came across almost every speculation article and test mule sightings until the FT86II concept and Scion FR-S concept. There was a bit of a dead period until the production test mule was spotted and then the numerous brochure leaks and then finally the official reveal in November '11.

My dad originally wanted to get a Scion tC as an additional "fun" car but when the FT86 concept was revealed he decided to wait. I didn't think he was serious but he ended up getting one and the search for one was a really nice bonding experience!

It's interesting to see how people who did not know about the FT86 concept heard about this car, I've always wondered if I would be so into the car if I didn't know about the early stages.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #23
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I was on a Celica forum and back in 2008 it was rumored to be the next gen Celica-- so naturally everyone was atwitter.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I had followed the car on Jalopnik and Autoblog, so when I saw one sitting on a dealer lot I stopped in and went for a test drive.... Then bought it
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
calis5nest

Drives: scion frs firestorm
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Was thinking of purchasing a camaro but I wasnt really convinced thats what I wanted. Started thinking about getting the genesis instead but then I saw the commercial for the FRS in June. Read into it and a week later No regrets Im happy with my FRS
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #26
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi1 View Post
Followed the development from concept to production. Had our heart set on a Cayman or some sort of Lotus. Figured we should at least sit in the FRS or a BRZ before we pulled the trigger on a car that was almost double the price of the twins. Sat in an FRS. Took it for a "Spirited" cough cough test drive and BOOM. Brought one home last June.
I too followed the development from concept to production. However, I wasn't even looking for a car and was actually looking forward to not having any car payments.
Once I took the car for a test drive, I was convinced that I had to have this car. Of course getting the car sideways in the rain and scaring the oncoming traffic while having a giant ear to ear grin and giggling like a little boy probably had somewhat of an effect. I then signed the papers the next day.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
autogyro

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Started following in 2009 with the ft86 concept, by the time the concept II was out I was very much lurking these forums. Then the scion concept was fantastic, and I remember us debating the horrendous taillight shape on the camo cars at the nurburgring. I think WingsofWar did a mockup of the final shape which happened to be exactly right and then the leaked brochure came and so did the rest of us.

I still remember being a bit skeptical on the car's ability and our speculations on the porsche cayman and supra testing.
autogyro is offline   Reply With Quote