follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #1513
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
.... attractive?

And, it feels like a serious sports car over the FRS, but lacks purity? Oxymoron much? lol

Idk good review tho, but I think it's ugly. LOTS of getting used to

Edit:
Quote:
Colour matched grille, fog delete, and use the fake vents as templates for real ones (also colour matched) and it becomes acceptable. Oh, and decent wheels (PF01's maybe).
Much better
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #1514
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The GenCoupe forums are a bit depressing. They read like Mk3 Supra forums. Bunch of cheap kids talking about lousy lowering springs and cheap rims. Maybe some serious cars in there but nothing I noticed right away...

I could take this as a challenge and DIY most of my own stuff. Or figure, no decent support, why bother?

Car was too cheap for its own good? When price is the dominant factor, people don't spend on quality aftermarket, so the aftermarket kind of bailed? Sad for Hyundai since it took balls for them to build the car.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #1515
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
The GenCoupe forums are a bit depressing. They read like Mk3 Supra forums. Bunch of cheap kids talking about lousy lowering springs and cheap rims.
That's how some at NASIOC view FT86CLUB.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #1516
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The GenCoupe forums are a bit depressing. They read like Mk3 Supra forums. Bunch of cheap kids talking about lousy lowering springs and cheap rims. Maybe some serious cars in there but nothing I noticed right away...

I could take this as a challenge and DIY most of my own stuff. Or figure, no decent support, why bother?

Car was too cheap for its own good? When price is the dominant factor, people don't spend on quality aftermarket, so the aftermarket kind of bailed? Sad for Hyundai since it took balls for them to build the car.

You will find some quality members on the GenCoupe forum, but I agree about the majority fitting your definition of most of them. But in the end, you can still find enough useful info to make it worthwhile. If not, be the change you would want to see happen on the forum.

I thought the 2.0T had "decent" aftermarket support? I know this isn't a Civic or Supra, so the support won't be what we would expect there. But if you google, you can find a good amount of turbo upgrades, exhausts, suspension...etc. Hyundai being Korean instead of Japanese probably influences the amount of parts as well. But there are some decent tuners/parts suppliers state side. All you need are a handful of quality aftermarket suppliers, right?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #1517
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Those red seat interior is beautiful and it looks great with out fog lights.
Yes Zaku, it sure does.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #1518
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
That's how some at NASIOC view FT86CLUB.
Isn't that also how NASIOC views their own general? Heh...

We don't have to put our money where our mouths are yet.

Tranz: They may have a somewhat decent support from their launch hype, but I don't think it will continue, or dealers probably won't stock too much of any 'good' stuff. So it will likely be hard to find and/or slow to get. Reminds me so much of the Mk3 Supra, whining about no support, but not buying the good stuff that does come out.

Because titanium.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #1519
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The GenCoupe forums are a bit depressing.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I'm a little more for the GC at this point than I am the FR-S/BRZ, but I'm not impressed by the quality of members on GenCoupe forums, so I don't hang around there as much.

Heck.. that horribly ugly orange GC at the top of the page with the white rims makes me want to throw up every time I see it - that image alone represents the types of members that are on that forum.
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #1520
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy0998 View Post
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I'm a little more for the GC at this point than I am the FR-S/BRZ, but I'm not impressed by the quality of members on GenCoupe forums, so I don't hang around there as much.

Heck.. that horribly ugly orange GC at the top of the page with the white rims makes me want to throw up every time I see it - that image alone represents the types of members that are on that forum.
KSport orrange? Heh...

Because titanium.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #1521
tranzformer

^ question is how far would you want to mod it? I guess hard to tell without a test drive first, but suspension sounds like it is an upgrade (should be fine for moderate increase in hp), R-Spec has decent brakes with the Brembo package (I realize you would be more interested in the base model), LSD on R-Spec (same regarding you wanting base model), I'm sure there will be several decent exhaust systems if you give it time (I personally like the sound of the ARK exhaust). There is also a decent number of turbo kits and intercoolers. So I am sure you would be able to find stuff. Just take a little longer.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #1522
MTD

Drives: Hyundai
Lots of aftermarket support. You just need to where to look.
http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...Categories.bok
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #1523
tranzformer

I have been thinking about the new 2.0T engine; wonder how far $4k would take you. I want to say on the old 2.0T engine $4k would get you ~300 whp. I wonder if the new engine could get you closer to 350-360whp which would be pretty damn impressive for just $4k worth of mods.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #1524
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Eh I've been on their forum for a while too myself, kinda scared well turn like that but it already starting. You have to search a while to find anything decent, mostly as I've notices it's like 10000 thread about people's cars and sometimes owners have more than one thread to show off things like taillights.

Never the less it helps me value this place a lot more. But the Genesis is still a nice car I'll give it that, I just hope that If I go try it I'll have a better experience then when I drove the 2010 2.0T. I didn't like it at all it was pretty annoying to drive. My friend who went with me couldn't even get it off the lot he just wasn't used to the heavier clutch feel. I got a feeling if it's the New 2.0T it still might be a hassle to drive.

That 3.8 is the real bargain in their stables, IMHO. And they have good aftermarket support it just you kinda have to hunt it down.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #1525
tranzformer

^ I agree regarding the 2011 2.0T that I test drove. Was underpowered for the weight. Just felt sluggish. I hope the new engine fixes that. Btw, that 3.8 R-Spec model seems like a great deal imho.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #1526
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
You have to search a while to find anything decent, mostly as I've notices it's like 10000 thread about people's cars and sometimes owners have more than one thread to show off things like taillights.

Once the FR-S/BRZ comes out I'm sure this forum will completely change too. It will be full of headlight/tail light, bumper swap threads etc.

The only reasons it seems to be different as of now I suppose is because the FR-S/BRZ isn't out yet.

It's just a matter of time...
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote