follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #71
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Crap I didn't pay attention to the year. WTH Mazda/Alfa? Is Derrick Rose running things over there?
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
Atropine (01-27-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #72
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
That's still over a year from now. It's kind of silly for them to announce that they're going to show it at NEXT year's Chicago auto show right before THIS year's show. LOL
Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #73
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I'm pretty sure I typed 2015 into the subject header guys :P

I think the mistake is that MotorTrend and the other press heard "Chicago AutoShow" and automatically assumed 2014 but then Mazda and Alfa had to quickly correct them.

Yes, it's a year away but now the question for me is: do I wait another year, build up even more cash and investments and then see? So friggin' painful...

Like @Dezoris said in his video (to paraphase): the FRS is like a cheeseburger. Everyone stopped making them and then suddenly Toybaru come out with a McD's cheeseburger and it's awesome cuz you haven't had one in years! Then BK comes out with a new one but this time, it's got all the toppings AND it's charbroiled!

God, I hate myself.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #74
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
God, I hate myself.
So you're debating between buying a car now or buying a hypothetical car in 2+ years?

I kind of hate you too. There will always be something to wait for, especially if you believe every clickbait blog article.

What if the new STI has a two door variant and an FA25?
What if the RX7 is going to slide in under $35k?
What if the IDX Nismo is more than you could ever dream for?

Either you're shopping now or your not. Don't base your decisions today on rumors about tomorrow. I wonder what if I had waited for the Fiesta ST to comeout? Doesn't matter, I bought the best car available and it still puts a smile on my face. Is a BRZ STI or Alfa Spyder going to diminish the fun I have in my FRS? Probably not.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #75
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
So you're debating between buying a car now or buying a hypothetical car in 2+ years?

I kind of hate you too. There will always be something to wait for, especially if you believe every clickbait blog article.

What if the new STI has a two door variant and an FA25?
What if the RX7 is going to slide in under $35k?
What if the IDX Nismo is more than you could ever dream for?

Either you're shopping now or your not. Don't base your decisions today on rumors about tomorrow. I wonder what if I had waited for the Fiesta ST to comeout? Doesn't matter, I bought the best car available and it still puts a smile on my face. Is a BRZ STI or Alfa Spyder going to diminish the fun I have in my FRS? Probably not.
I know what you mean but it's not hypothetical like say, the FT-1 is.

This is confirmed to be coming and I've long liked the MX5 and was rather annoyed at how long Mazda took to launch this especially given the Twins gobbling up all the press. I never like making a decision when the options aren't as plentiful as they should be.

We'll see soon enough. A car isn't a logical purchase - especially since this will be my second car in the stable. Nonetheless, I think 'hate' is a bit 'arsh don't ya think?

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK

Last edited by Frost; 01-20-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Grammar bitch! That's what I get for typing under the flu...
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #76
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I kind of hate you too.
Classic!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #77
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Nonetheless, I think 'hate' is a bit 'arsh don't ya think?

Not really, you're putting yourself in a position due to your own indecision. It doesn't matter how much of a sure fire thing the Miata is, it doesn't exist today. If you always wait until tomorrow to see what's next you'll wait forever because there will always be something coming up.

So in 2015 the Miata is unveiled, at best for 2016 production. What's to stop you from waiting to see if the refresh for the Toyobaru brings something 'better'?

If you come here and whinge about a position you've created entirely on your own I don't know what kind of sympathy you can expect.

Have your cheeseburger today or in two years, doesn't matter to me. You've just gotta look at the situation, is the 2 year away cheeseburger going to be so much more fun that you will have less fun than the cheeseburger today? Will it make up for missing two years of cheeseburger eating fun? Why can't you have both cheeseburgers?

Go buy a used NC Miata today (hell even a Toyobaru), you'll lose what, a couple thousand on resale over two years (doesn't sound like you'll put a ton of miles on it)? Trade it in for a downpayment on the car you want in 2016 (toyobaru, ND Miata, Kia?). You said it yourself, it's illogical so it isn't financials driving this decision, it's your own hesitation.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #78
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Not really, you're putting yourself in a position due to your own indecision. It doesn't matter how much of a sure fire thing the Miata is, it doesn't exist today. If you always wait until tomorrow to see what's next you'll wait forever because there will always be something coming up.

So in 2015 the Miata is unveiled, at best for 2016 production. What's to stop you from waiting to see if the refresh for the Toyobaru brings something 'better'?

If you come here and whinge about a position you've created entirely on your own I don't know what kind of sympathy you can expect.

Have your cheeseburger today or in two years, doesn't matter to me. You've just gotta look at the situation, is the 2 year away cheeseburger going to be so much more fun that you will have less fun than the cheeseburger today? Will it make up for missing two years of cheeseburger eating fun? Why can't you have both cheeseburgers?

Go buy a used NC Miata today (hell even a Toyobaru), you'll lose what, a couple thousand on resale over two years (doesn't sound like you'll put a ton of miles on it)? Trade it in for a downpayment on the car you want in 2016 (toyobaru, ND Miata, Kia?). You said it yourself, it's illogical so it isn't financials driving this decision, it's your own hesitation.
I wasn't whining nor looking for support. I was just so happy to see competition to this segment. You picked out one line from my entire to post and now you have

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #79
strat61caster
-

Quote:
I wasn't whining nor looking for support. I was just so happy to see competition to this segment. You picked out one line from my entire to post and now you have
Half that post was posing the open question about waiting and cheeseburgers, I stand by my posts, you've only threadjacked yourself by comparing a car that does not exist yet to one that does.

Best of luck, hope whatever you end up with makes you happy.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #80
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
They have to fix the styling, seriously. But then again I'm more interested in something mid-engined and don't really care either way.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #81
STJ

Drives: Skyline R33 GTR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Only Mazda's i care about don't have cylinders!
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #82
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The ND Miata is exciting because it'll be the cheapest, lightest, RWD car -- rumored to weigh in around 2200 lbs. That said, unless they release a coupe version or it comes with a rollover bar that passes track inspection, I won't be buying one.

Also I think calling the Twins a plain McD cheeseburger while the ND Miata is apparently a charbroiled BK burger with toppings sells the Twins far short. I spent the past weekend in my 350z, and took the FR-S into work today. It was a good reminder of how well Toyota/Subaru nailed the driving experience.

I've driven or owned everything from NA-NC Miatas, S2000's, Evo's, STI's, 350z/370z's, Integras, 240sx's, e36 M3's, Caymans, etc., and the Twins are definitely near or at the top of the heap in terms of responsiveness and driving experience. They're not plain McD cheeseburgers in my mind, more like In-N-Out. Simple but fresh goodness.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Rampage (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #83
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They revised their plans. No longer aiming for 2200lbs (1000kg), now they are saying 2420lbs (1100kg). That is about 150lbs lighter than the NC

I was at a local event John Doonan (head of Mazda Motorsports, previously Mazdaspeed) showed up to this weekend. I kept wanting to torture him for details on the ND hahah
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #84
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
They revised their plans. No longer aiming for 2200lbs (1000kg), now they are saying 2420lbs (1100kg). That is about 150lbs lighter than the NC

I was at a local event John Doonan (head of Mazda Motorsports, previously Mazdaspeed) showed up to this weekend. I kept wanting to torture him for details on the ND hahah
That's still incredibly lightweight - do interrogate, I mean ask, John for as much info as possible! This car is going to be awesome like all the other MX5s.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK