follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Have you had an issue with your Direct Injection System?
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 10 12.35%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 2 2.47%
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 31 38.27%
I have had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 3 3.70%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Subaru) 7 8.64%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Toyota) 14 17.28%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Subaru) 8 9.88%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Toyota) 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #519
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I haven't seen any '13 build dates with the issue reported (stock). But you should really get the CY 2014 (ZA1JB01C) ecu calibration for other reasons.

What would those be? Mine is a Toyota company car, so it's been difficult getting the dealership to do anything other than bare minimum service requirements.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #520
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I've done worse than that...
So mike, will the Jackson racing supercharger and tune solve this di seal issue?
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #521
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
What would those be? Mine is a Toyota company car, so it's been difficult getting the dealership to do anything other than bare minimum service requirements.

Even though the TSB comes just short of telling the dealer to update any car built before Jan1 2014, they still will fight you and threaten a $50 service charge.

I recently bought a tatrix cable. Should have done that 2 years ago instead of fighting city hall. See 2 years if I would have just filled in the TIR tables I would have at least been able to rev past 5k rpm without risk to the DI seals.

Regardless the latest calibration update is rumored to be important. Took a little effort but I updated in my driveway and found that I had been driving on a early 2012 calibration. I am hoping to get it to work with techstream.

The Tatrix is a nice thing to have maybe one day a good tuner will use it for header/performance tunes. It also has good resale.

Just an alternative to consider if you trust your dealer as much as I trust mine.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #522
twag4

Drives: frs
I was driving today, in second gear was at about 6800 rpm. i let off the gas and got back on it nearly immediately, and heard three distinct loud pops in super quick succession- probably about the volume of lady finger firecrackers (the really small ones). When I got home, I pulled into the garage with the back of the car out the door, revved the engine, let off, then
re-revved the engine, and was able to reproduce the sound. Thing is, I cannot tell if it is coming from under the hood, or just under the car. I haven't got anybody around to help me check the noise. Is this what the DI seal failure sounds like? (three pops right together, kinda loud?) I have a 10-series FR-S built in May of 2013. I know it is supposed to be the revised tune, but this has me a bit freaked out.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #523
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
I was driving today, in second gear was at about 6800 rpm. i let off the gas and got back on it nearly immediately, and heard three distinct loud pops in super quick succession- probably about the volume of lady finger firecrackers (the really small ones). When I got home, I pulled into the garage with the back of the car out the door, revved the engine, let off, then
re-revved the engine, and was able to reproduce the sound. Thing is, I cannot tell if it is coming from under the hood, or just under the car. I haven't got anybody around to help me check the noise. Is this what the DI seal failure sounds like? (three pops right together, kinda loud?) I have a 10-series FR-S built in May of 2013. I know it is supposed to be the revised tune, but this has me a bit freaked out.

Probably a backfire. There have been no documented cases of post Jan 2013 build date vehicles with blown di seals.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
twag4 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #524
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Like Regal said it sounds more like a backfire to me. I've got similar popping noises when driving around town and playing with the throttle, very rare though and I can't reproduce.

The popping/firecracker noise can be reproduced in neutral like in the videos below, they also seem to be very consistent, not a fluke thing:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450Pov98STg"]BRZ bad idle + misfire, no CEL, stock engine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFa2IvNs9g"]Frs popping noise when given throttle free revving or cruising, rolling on throttle to pass. - YouTube[/ame]

It doesn't rule out failure, but I would hazard a guess that you're not in trouble.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #525
twag4

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Like Regal said it sounds more like a backfire to me. I've got similar popping noises when driving around town and playing with the throttle, very rare though and I can't reproduce.

The popping/firecracker noise can be reproduced in neutral

It doesn't rule out failure, but I would hazard a guess that you're not in trouble.

The problem is, it happens above 6000 rpm. Not at or off idle.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #526
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The problem is, it happens above 6000 rpm. Not at or off idle.

Exactly, that means it is less likely to be a failure like in the videos I posted which are confirmed DI seal failure symptoms and more likely to be a backfire.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
twag4 (04-25-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #527
diirk

Drives: 4Runner
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Had the DI Seal failure. Not covered according to Subaru due to the Vortech. Talked to dealer and mfg. Finally reported it to NHTSA for S&G's.

waiting on a Neptune Premium MT
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #528
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Your poll is extremely biased in that there is no I have not had a DI failure option.
I know your purpose might be to see who has had warranty work done but the exclusion of no problem category will give you horribly skewed data.
Now if it was titled "Who Had DIs Fixed Under Warranty" then the poll questions would be valid.
You also state you are boosted which yet again changes the whole results of the poll as it is not a straight read across .
NickTC (11-21-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #529
Ozzman

Drives: old
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd say the OP has a future researching climate change for the government.
Ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #530
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
Do we need another poll option?

"I don't yet know if I have the DI issue"
Exactly. It isn't much of a poll if there is not a selection for "no problem". The sample becomes self-selecting even more than it would be otherwise.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #531
RunHachi

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys, I want to see if the following problem I’m experiencing is a DI related issue.

I’m not getting any engine popping sound nor any fire cracker sound you guys are talking about, but I am however getting a sharp hiss sound (like a dry bearing) only when I stab the throttle under load or blip the throttle. This sound will only happen once, at the point the throttle is depressed. It has now developed a muffled back fire sound. Not very often, only heard it a few times. After I changed from BP to Shell (Told to try by Toyota, as they suspected engine ping). Still using 98 octane fuel of course.

The car idles fine and starts fine. No popping noises at start up. I don’t seem to notice any loss of power when accelerating even under load going up a hill in a higher gear. It’s quite easy to induce the sound after the car is warmed up, but does not happen when its cold.

This issue started after a long drive back in hot weather.

Could this be a sign of DI failure?

If it is the injectors failing should the problem not happen right at start up? not just intermediately after warm up?
RunHachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #532
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
^^ I don't think that's a DI issue as the people who reported the issue said it's pretty apparent if you have that issue. I think it's just a vacuum/air leak type noise you are hearing. I think I had that in the earlier stage of ownership but it wasn't concerning and it went away.

The popping sound is very obvious and you can check out the vids and see exactly what type of noise it is.

Still get it checked out for your peace of mind but like all things you probably won't be able to replicate it when trying to..

Tags
direct injector, engine, failure, meet regal's paranoia, poll, regal's witch hunt, regalnoia, seal, sealions, silly sausage