follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #141
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
I have an issue with both fourth and fifth grinding as well. My engine is stock. I too changed the fluid to Amsoil. I will ask the dealer about it under the manufacture warranty when they swap my side glass. I had minor issues from the beginning. One of the reasons why I haven't boosted yet is trying to figure out what to do with the gearbox first.
_
_
_
_
Just don't tell the dealer about the different fluid.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #142
Fenix

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S + 2011 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Just don't tell the dealer about the different fluid.
I don't intend to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #143
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
What else do you have done?

I ran Motul for about a week before I dumped it. I'm guessing that fluid is great in a hot climate, but up here, even in near summer it was atrocious. Now I'm on a mixture of two Redline fluids (MT85 & 90) and it's working flawlessly.
I have a PAR gearset installed with a solid transmission mount and a carbon fiber driveshaft. Also had my synchros timed and blueprinted. I ran Motul for about 1,000 miles on the gearset and then switched over to neo synthetic RHD.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drakiv For This Useful Post:
Calum (10-06-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #144
DIE1000DEATHS
TechNINJA

Drives: Whiteout MT, 87 Mustang, 09 RUCKUS
I'm having an issue where it seems as when my trans heats up a bit (say, sitting in traffic for a while, or a lot of stop and go city traffic) I have a hard time getting into 1st or reverse. No issues when the car is cold or it's a normal casual driving day. Could it be that these forks get soft when really hot, and I'm getting some flex? Or perhaps a diff fluid like other may be getting recommended for other issues. I do have a new ACT XT clutch, but it happened before this as well.
DIE1000DEATHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #145
SoCalArgento

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIE1000DEATHS View Post
I'm having an issue where it seems as when my trans heats up a bit (say, sitting in traffic for a while, or a lot of stop and go city traffic) I have a hard time getting into 1st or reverse. No issues when the car is cold or it's a normal casual driving day. Could it be that these forks get soft when really hot, and I'm getting some flex? Or perhaps a diff fluid like other may be getting recommended for other issues. I do have a new ACT XT clutch, but it happened before this as well.

I have the ACT HD clutch and LWFW with same identical issue. It occurs when in hot weather, hard driving, or just from driving car for a while. I have clutch fork waiting to install hoping that it will solve this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalArgento For This Useful Post:
DIE1000DEATHS (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #146
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
I doubt the get in the fork is affecting anything. Maybe the clutch fluid itself
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #147
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalArgento View Post
I have the ACT HD clutch and LWFW with same identical issue. It occurs when in hot weather, hard driving, or just from driving car for a while. I have clutch fork waiting to install hoping that it will solve this issue.
Sounds more like a fluid issue to me as well; but, I've also heard of the XTs having issues with engagement on the stock fork. My engagement point is right around OEM, if yours is lower, I would suspect you may have some bending of the fork.

I have the ACT XT clutch with the lightweight flywheel and full face disc. Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised with how driveable it is. The noise is pretty rough, sounds like a twin disc. I have about 4k miles at 300+rwhp on our billet fork on this setup and (knock on wood) engagement has been superb!

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #148
SoCalArgento

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Sounds more like a fluid issue to me as well; but, I've also heard of the XTs having issues with engagement on the stock fork. My engagement point is right around OEM, if yours is lower, I would suspect you may have some bending of the fork.

I have the ACT XT clutch with the lightweight flywheel and full face disc. Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised with how driveable it is. The noise is pretty rough, sounds like a twin disc. I have about 4k miles at 300+rwhp on our billet fork on this setup and (knock on wood) engagement has been superb!

Thanks,

Eric

Well I already bought fork and pivot just to eliminate that as possible cause, would you recommend adjusting engagement point and clutch fluid would fix?

SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:04 AM   #149
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalArgento View Post
Well I already bought fork and pivot just to eliminate that as possible cause, would you recommend adjusting engagement point and clutch fluid would fix?

I have no idea, to be honest. I'm truly guessing, going off of it only happening when the car is hot. However, that could very well be the steel becoming slightly more malleable at that temperature and bending... or it could be transmission fluid related, or a synchro wearing down, or clutch fluid getting a bit hot and is old.

The only thing I currently know for certain is that the factory FRS/BRZ clutch forks are a known issue with pretty much ANY aftermaket, stronger than factory, pressure plate/clutch kit. It is my opinion that anyone considering an aftermarket clutch should automatically consider/install a stronger clutch fork as well. It is cheap insurance in the overall scheme of things.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (10-09-2016), SoCalArgento (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #150
DIE1000DEATHS
TechNINJA

Drives: Whiteout MT, 87 Mustang, 09 RUCKUS
I'll likely try the fork/pivot ball just because... I've already swapped the clutch fluid out and added a stainless line to that. Might as well try a different trans fluid too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
I have no idea, to be honest. I'm truly guessing, going off of it only happening when the car is hot. However, that could very well be the steel becoming slightly more malleable at that temperature and bending... or it could be transmission fluid related, or a synchro wearing down, or clutch fluid getting a bit hot and is old.

The only thing I currently know for certain is that the factory FRS/BRZ clutch forks are a known issue with pretty much ANY aftermaket, stronger than factory, pressure plate/clutch kit. It is my opinion that anyone considering an aftermarket clutch should automatically consider/install a stronger clutch fork as well. It is cheap insurance in the overall scheme of things.

Thanks,
Eric
DIE1000DEATHS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIE1000DEATHS For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (10-09-2016), VerusEric (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #151
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I've been running an fx400+ for 3yrs now. Maybe I should check to see if my fork is bent because I've had nothing but issues with engagement being different each time and unpredictable. Btw still waiting for that sexy intake manifold
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #152
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I've been running an fx400+ for 3yrs now. Maybe I should check to see if my fork is bent because I've had nothing but issues with engagement being different each time and unpredictable. Btw still waiting for that sexy intake manifold
I have had a customer that had an FX400 (maybe 500?) that got to the point that he couldn't disengage the clutch at all. He adjusted his clutch multiple times and maxed out available travel, still couldn't get the car in first or reverse (or any gear) while stopped.

Our clutch fork fixed his issues and is working great to this day. The clutch pedal required adjusting as well because the engagement point drastically changed and went back to an OEM like engagement point. He was one of the first people to try it.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
DIE1000DEATHS (10-10-2016), Drakiv (10-09-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #153
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had the clutch fork installed the other day. I can tell there is some difference in the feel when changing gears at low speeds but feels a lot stronger under heavy driving. Really happy with it.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (10-30-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #154
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
I have installed a few of these....

All I can say now, is I try to keep these in stock if I can! If your transmission comes out for any reason, put a Velox clutch fork in, and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Very recently I had a customer come in to have his clutch replaced with an ACT SB7-XTSS, and Velox Clutch fork. At the same time, I had a customers car sitting in the shop with an ACT SB7-XTSS already installed, but without the Velox clutch fork(it is actually here getting one installed along with a new TOB) It was a MASSIVE difference in pedal feel and modulation. The Velox-fork-equipped car's, clutch pedal, felt about “10lbs” lighter to push vs. the car without the fork. It was great to have two cars side by side to compare like that, and really just confirms how big of a difference it makes.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
Bramick (11-08-2016), dhuang (02-01-2017), Drakiv (11-08-2016), johan (11-08-2016), sroby (07-20-2020), VerusEric (11-08-2016)