follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
bdanisi
You Made Bro?

Drives: Raven 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about basic performance mods

As this is my first car that I will be really modifying properly I was wondering why people say that you should try and get mods from the same company I. E. A Perrin intake and Perrin exhaust. How important is this? I can see why you would want to do this but I'm not sure if anything negative can come from mixing companies like a Greddy exhaust and an air raid intake?
bdanisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
You can get parts from different companies. Don't let others tell you otherwise. Some people like sticking with one company for a full solution for OCD reasons (i.e. Perrin logos on all their parts). You can have a Perrin exhaust, with an Airaid intake, or aFe. Hell, you could have a different brand front pipe and overpipe, and change the catback. Most of these companies are set to fit where factory parts were.

Brand loyalty versus personal preference. Do your research and choose whatever parts you like.

Exhaust is one that is good to stick with one brand without trial and error on fitment issues.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
bdanisi (01-25-2013), Gixxersixxerman (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Some companies state that their products are all part of a tuned package.. That the exhaust is tuned to the intake and so on.. I got the injen intake because at the time, people was getting the most power with the fewest issues.. I personally was going for the greddy intake to go with my soon to get evo 3 exhaust.. But after seeing some people with throttle dir problems and stuff, I decided to get the injen.. I knew what exhaust I was getting from the get go... Mainly because When I was into the import scene a decade ago.. Greddy was one of the absolute best, and apexi.. BUT.. Lisa at TSI in El Paso made me want their exhaust really bad.. I just couldn't afford it.. And if it wasn't for a amazing deal at evasive I wouldn't even have a aftermarket exhaust now..

In the end.. I think whatever you decide to get, getting a tune is your best bet.. All the parts tuned as best as possible will give you the most power
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote