follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #141
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
I couldn't find anything in the thread, have you guys considering coating these at all?
You didn't look too hard

Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuning View Post
Although we currently don't tune with OFT, we may actually consider working with a local customer to build our own dynotuned OFT OTS base map for use with this header. However, this would likely only happen if there was a big enough demand for it.

- Toan
Post #65

Quote:
The ceramic header coatings that we dabbled with back in the day all seemed fine for daily driving and/or drag racing, but for HPDE or track events, the coatings seem to fade and eventually flake off over time. Mind you, they were on turbo headers/manifolds and not used in an NA application. These cars were also properly tuned, so we weren't dealing with abnormally high egts, etc.

Once the coating flakes off, it's all downhill from there. It doesn't affect performance, but it makes the coated part look pretty gnarly.

Given that our header is 100% T304 stainless steel (not 409), you could conceivable clean and polish up the header if you ever went to sell your car and do a part out. The chances of the ceramic coated part looking new after years of hard use is not so likely.

We would definitely not sway any customer away from ceramic coating, if he/she wished to do so. We would just prefer going with a heat shielding route like the factory does.

- Toan
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
G-Man (08-28-2014), kanundrum (08-28-2014), MDSubarubrz (08-28-2014), Snowball (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #142
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
Will this header work with an existing OFT EL tune? I'd like to not have to require custom tuning for exhaust parts while building up the car gradually.
It will work fine it just won't be optimised. So there will still be torque and power left on the table.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #143
Vic
63 Auto Body

Drives: 2013 SCION FR-S WHITEOUT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
This header may work fine with a quality overpipe/frontpipe combo that utilizes the factory midpipe and possibly even the muffler section. We'll try to test and tune as many exhaust combinations as we possibly can once the production headers are on the shelf.

BTW, this video is more of a just-for-fun dyno video. Our very high CFM blower and extractor fans drown out a lot of the real sound. Furthermore, the test was conducted using an exhaust setup that we had readily available. We'll eventually develop a tuned exhaust front section combo that will perform and sound best with our header.

- Toan
Can you guys check if this will fit the 2.5" nameless fp/op (downpipe) combo?

*DROOLS*
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #144
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I ordered one! Hoping it fits a motiv overpipe. Gonna have toppseed tune the car after I install everything. I assume these will ship end of September?
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
ptuning (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #145
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm impressed.

Luckily (or unlucky LOL) I don't have the money to impulse buy at this moment so I can wait and see how other people make out with this header and hope someone comes out with a nice OFT tune or something of the sort I can see some dyno numbers on and flash.

I would never in a million years think of spending $1200 on a header but given the numbers shown, and hopefully other independents showing similar gains.. I Know where my next bonus check is going.

Great Job guys! Seriously its beatufiul and im glad its EL. As much as I love the sound of UEL on subys, I feel like this cars styling demands a smoother sound.

ALSO:

I'm not expert so i'm curious about the exhaust diameter. You used a 3" for your turbo setups and mentioned possibly making a ~2.5 inch for an N/A setup. Would the smaller diameter net more power or a smoother power curve for an N/A application? Less room for exhaust gasses to expand and become turbulent? It's quite often you see that people don't recommend larger piping for an N/A setup and that power can be lost in the process. My expanding gases/turbulence comment is my thinking on it but was wondering if you could clarify a little.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
Snowball (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #146
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
Will this header work with an existing OFT EL tune? I'd like to not have to require custom tuning for exhaust parts while building up the car gradually.
It may produce better results than running a stock tune, but will likely still not be fully optimized to work with our header.

- Toan
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #147
ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic View Post
Can you guys check if this will fit the 2.5" nameless fp/op (downpipe) combo?

*DROOLS*
If these pieces bolt up to the factory header perfectly, then it will work with our header.

- Toan
The Following User Says Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
Vic (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #148
ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
I'm impressed.

Luckily (or unlucky LOL) I don't have the money to impulse buy at this moment so I can wait and see how other people make out with this header and hope someone comes out with a nice OFT tune or something of the sort I can see some dyno numbers on and flash.

I would never in a million years think of spending $1200 on a header but given the numbers shown, and hopefully other independents showing similar gains.. I Know where my next bonus check is going.

Great Job guys! Seriously its beatufiul and im glad its EL. As much as I love the sound of UEL on subys, I feel like this cars styling demands a smoother sound.

ALSO:

I'm not expert so i'm curious about the exhaust diameter. You used a 3" for your turbo setups and mentioned possibly making a ~2.5 inch for an N/A setup. Would the smaller diameter net more power or a smoother power curve for an N/A application? Less room for exhaust gasses to expand and become turbulent? It's quite often you see that people don't recommend larger piping for an N/A setup and that power can be lost in the process. My expanding gases/turbulence comment is my thinking on it but was wondering if you could clarify a little.
We'll eventually get around to testing our header with a 2.5" overpipe/frontpipe. Unfortunately, until then, we can't be absolutely certain which set-up will produce the best overall power curve. If it's anything like the K20 engine, it may produce the best powerband with a 3" exhaust system. We'll post our findings once we're able to confirm this.

- Toan
Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #149
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
We'll eventually get around to testing our header with a 2.5" overpipe/frontpipe. Unfortunately, until then, we can't be absolutely certain which set-up will produce the best overall power curve. If it's anything like the K20 engine, it may produce the best powerband with a 3" exhaust system. We'll post our findings once we're able to confirm this.

- Toan
I'm looking forward to it.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #150
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I have another interesting update for you guys.

As expected, we have no CEL's with our header. Our header does not require an 02 harness extension, O2 spacers or tubes, anti-foulers, or ECU DTC code disabling

What are the advantages of not disabling the O2/cat related DTC codes? You can bolt on this header and run it without worrying about CEL codes while you wait to tune. More importantly though, you'll be able to complete the OBD-2 readiness checks.

- Toan
Am I reading this correctly ..the front cat delete would not produce a fault code on an emissions check...if so ..would you take the time to explain how is this possible/accomplished... ?...thanks
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #151
Trefoil

Drives: GBS BRZ Harrop SC/PTuning Header
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

Can't wait for them to go out!
Trefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #152
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Very very temping at the intro price.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
ptuning (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #153
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie L View Post
Am I reading this correctly ..the front cat delete would not produce a fault code on an emissions check...if so ..would you take the time to explain how is this possible/accomplished... ?...thanks
No one said that. Emissions check at in inspection would fail. Tuning eliminates the CEL.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #154
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
No one said that. Emissions check at in inspection would fail. Tuning eliminates the CEL.
Then what do you suppose they meant by this "More importantly though, you'll be able to complete the OBD-2 readiness checks"
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
200hp na, 4-1 full, merge collector, ptuning, race header