follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #99
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
This is 100 % true and for fact the 911 and the Cayman are the best handling cars, and the Boxer engines are the reason for that. Boxer engines have ONLY advantages if not to talk about cost, because the car has to be built around the engine and the engine itself is more expensive. If the GT86 had a true mid-front 2.5l H4 with dry sump making 300 PS it would be the best car, but it would maybe cost 50.000 € and you as many other would not buy it. Prove me you are right.
Oh really? I guess the Lotus Elise, Ferrari 458 Italia, LFA,S2K,RX8 and even a MX5 aren't some of the best? I remember seeing a best handling test that ruled the 458 Italia over all the Porsche's you mentioned. Fact is the majority of great handling cars aren't BOXER engines.

I don't even think the FR-S will out handle the MX5 and that car has a inline 4.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #100
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Oh really? I guess the Lotus Elise, Ferrari 458 Italia, LFA,S2K,RX8 and even a MX5 aren't some of the best? I remember seeing a best handling test that ruled the 458 Italia over all the Porsche's you mentioned. Fact is the majority of great handling cars aren't BOXER engines.

I don't even think the FR-S will out handle the MX5 and that car has a inline 4.
you do realize when you say that, those better handling cars are WAYYY above a lot of our price ranges...

this is the best handling car you are going to get for 25K, hands down... ive driven a miata, love the way it drives but i have kids, and i do believe the FR-S will preform better, i personally want a wide body kit, coilovers, and 10' wide tires, HANDLE LIKE A BEAST!!!!

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #101
delongedoug
Banned

Drives: 2.5 RS daily, Evo 8 track
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
you do realize when you say that, those better handling cars are WAYYY above a lot of our price ranges...

this is the best handling car you are going to get for 25K, hands down... ive driven a miata, love the way it drives but i have kids, and i do believe the FR-S will preform better, i personally want a wide body kit, coilovers, and 10' wide tires, HANDLE LIKE A BEAST!!!!
Yay for more teen parents.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #102
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:

You missed the point. Great handling isn't boxer engine dependent. I could name other cheaply priced sporting vehicles if you'd like me too. The ITR didn't have a boxer, the last generation MR-S didn't have a boxer engine either. I think you guys are caught up in the hype and need to come back to reality.

What makes you think this car will out handle the Miata. It's lighter,tidier and better balanced.

Last edited by SUB-FT86; 02-15-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #103
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post

Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #104
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Quote:
QFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Reminds me that I need to work on finding a JDM girlfriend, or maybe JDM modified for US use as I don't think I could learn Japanese.
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #105
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

So are porsches.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #106
catharsis

Drives: honda civic si 08
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wow glad I stayed away from the subaru kool-aid. Boxer engines apparently are the best engines ever which is why only 2 manufacturers use them, and even with the mighty and superior boxer motor the sti loses to the evo everytime .
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #107
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Wow glad I stayed away from the subaru kool-aid. Boxer engines apparently are the best engines ever which is why only 2 manufacturers use them, and even with the mighty and superior boxer motor the sti loses to the evo everytime .

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #108
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
You missed the point. Great handling isn't boxer engine dependent. I could name other cheaply priced sporting vehicles if you'd like me too. The ITR didn't have a boxer, the last generation MR-S didn't have a boxer engine either. I think you guys are caught up in the hype and need to come back to reality.

What makes you think this car will out handle the Miata. It's lighter,tidier and better balanced.
i never said it was better because it was a boxer

this car has a lot of potential, if its already got plenty of grip with low resistance tires, im just imagining with r-comps how well it will stick to the ground...

my celica isnt a boxer either but it handles really well, love the way it handles even on its worn out shocks and springs...

EDIT:
Quote:
Your point is? im 20 and doing pretty well for myself, work 10-6 monday through friday and make a decent living...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #109
Mulder
4AGE Enthusiast

Drives: 1986 Toyota MR2 20v, 2004 Tacoma
I'll be waiting for at least 3 years for 3 reasons.
1) It will take me 2 more years to finish paying off my Tacoma.
2) Give them time to work out the kinks
3) I want the SC or turbo model and won't consider buying one until that's an option.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #110
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Actually I'm curious to those that mentioned about first year kinks. Can anyone provide an example? I haven't been able to easily find notable examples of first year production problems, especially in recent cars.

I understand that every year, there should be new fixes and patches upon the car. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the new patches/fixes don't introduce another problem :/
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #111
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy51 View Post
Actually I'm curious to those that mentioned about first year kinks. Can anyone provide an example? I haven't been able to easily find notable examples of first year production problems, especially in recent cars.

I understand that every year, there should be new fixes and patches upon the car. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the new patches/fixes don't introduce another problem :/
there have been many out there. Off the top of my head I can think of the e9x 335i engine and its oil cooling problems. Before that the e46 m3 had engine problems. I know my msp protege has had dozens of technical service bulletins to address various items. One of which was an ecu flash to fix hesitation during rapid acceleration and there have been at least 3 rear sway bar bushing designs to address the problem of them wearing out every 7500 miles.

there are always more problems with first year vehicles. Usually they aren't critical flaws but going in for recalls all the time is a pain. Also depending on the problem you may end up paying to fix it yourself before a recall is issued.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #112
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
there have been many out there. Off the top of my head I can think of the e9x 335i engine and its oil cooling problems. Before that the e46 m3 had engine problems. I know my msp protege has had dozens of technical service bulletins to address various items. One of which was an ecu flash to fix hesitation during rapid acceleration and there have been at least 3 rear sway bar bushing designs to address the problem of them wearing out every 7500 miles.

there are always more problems with first year vehicles. Usually they aren't critical flaws but going in for recalls all the time is a pain. Also depending on the problem you may end up paying to fix it yourself before a recall is issued.
Hmm I see, though it seems to be more of a BMW issue coming out from your memory. I'm looking around Subaru's history and it was the head gasket?

And referring to the recall, would you receive a refund or anything if a recall is issued after you had the problem fixed? Or SOL?
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote