follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #85
endrswrd

Drives: 2013 LTD BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So to put STi brembos on the brz you need a set of brembos, 04 sti rotors, rear adapters.

Then swap the bleeder orientation on the fronts, and throw them all on?

Is the adapter being used the same one as the adapters for older wrxs to fit brembos without swapping hubs?

I am not interested in getting into the rest of the debate, just want to try and cost estimate this as I might do it when I do wheels / tires / suspension come spring.
endrswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #86
The Sentinel
Project BRZ-Boosted Autos

Drives: MY14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm interested to hear from anyone who did the brake swap and installed the calipers on the "wrong" sides so the leading piston becomes trailing.

How is your pad wear long term? Any other unforseen side effects?

I did the swap on my car a few days ago. I did it with the correct orientation, but was unable to swap the bleeders, and the line orientation being outside the posts bothers me, so I'm tempted to swap sides.

Cheers!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #87
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sentinel View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm interested to hear from anyone who did the brake swap and installed the calipers on the "wrong" sides so the leading piston becomes trailing.

How is your pad wear long term? Any other unforseen side effects?

I did the swap on my car a few days ago. I did it with the correct orientation, but was unable to swap the bleeders, and the line orientation being outside the posts bothers me, so I'm tempted to swap sides.

Cheers!
Wait what? The part in bold is confusing me. Do you mean the brake line on the back of the caliper is not lined up properly? From what I remember CSG Mike and other sayings, it is ideal for the blelders to be swapped. How come you could not do it? The brake caliper has 4 holes that concern us right now: two on "top", top on "bottom." If you mounted your brakes in the correct orientation, you should have two bleeders in your "bottom" two holes (because you have not swapped the bleeders).

(Bleeders swapped, correct orientation)

P.S. Your build is sick
Old 07-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #88
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
I think he's talking about the brake line not being blocked by a solid part on the caliper? I know the stock calipers kind of block/contain the line, but I haven't seen the brembos up close.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #89
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
EDIT

Guess not. I will find a correct photo for this

Last edited by SkAsphalt; 07-18-2014 at 01:47 AM.
SkAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #90
The Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Here is the back of a properly oriented from caliper. the line does go up against the post there.
Thanks for the reply's people.

I'm using calipers from an MY08-12 STi and on mine the banjo bolts screw in on the bottom hole rather than the top (when the calipers are mounted with the correct piston orientation meaning the bleeders are at the bottom), so the posts do not secure the line.

Anyway back to my original question, can anyone provide feedback on the pad wear when the brakes are swapped side for side so the piston orientation is incorrect.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #91
The Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I think he's talking about the brake line not being blocked by a solid part on the caliper? I know the stock calipers kind of block/contain the line, but I haven't seen the brembos up close.
Yes that's exactly what I mean
wparsons (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #92
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is the back of a properly oriented from caliper. the line does go up against the post there.
That only applies when the caliper is mounted to the rear of the axle like all other Subaru's (except BRZ of course). However, when you mount these calipers in front of the axle, and if you want to keep the proper piston orientation, two things will happen:

a) the bleeders become upside down, and you'll need to swap them over.
b) the mounting tabs for the banjo bolt is now at the bottom, and can no longer secure the brake line.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #93
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
That only applies when the caliper is mounted to the rear of the axle like all other Subaru's (except BRZ of course). However, when you mount these calipers in front of the axle, and if you want to keep the proper piston orientation, two things will happen:

a) the bleeders become upside down, and you'll need to swap them over.
b) the mounting tabs for the banjo bolt is now at the bottom, and can no longer secure the brake line.
Odd that photo was taken from that STI Brembo swap DIY lol
Old 07-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #94
Fizz
Senior Addict

Quote:
Odd that photo was taken from that STI Brembo swap DIY lol
Nah that was just some random photo of an sti. You can see the front drive axle there
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #95
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
My bad haha
Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 AM   #96
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Just installed 05 STI callipers on to my BRZ. I decided against going through the hassle of swapping bleeders after reading Element Tunings real world experience without doing it. It's not that I'm incompetent or lazy, I just preferred not to due it since they are 9 year old calipers and more than likely would cause more headaches than anything else. I'll post up impressions on how it goes so that we get some more real world data on it.

When I went out and bedded the pads tonight I noticed immediately that there is a lot more bite in the brake pedal now. I'm not sure what to look for in degraded performance, but I was pleasantly surprised when I hit the pedal aggressively from 100km/h.

If uneven pad wear or premature pad wear are the only detriment to this orientation then I honestly could care less.

Also, are there any concerns in mounting the brake line outside of the posts if you do swap the bleeders?
2013GTRNate (02-21-2016)
Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #97
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Wait what? The part in bold is confusing me. Do you mean the brake line on the back of the caliper is not lined up properly? From what I remember CSG Mike and other sayings, it is ideal for the blelders to be swapped. How come you could not do it? The brake caliper has 4 holes that concern us right now: two on "top", top on "bottom." If you mounted your brakes in the correct orientation, you should have two bleeders in your "bottom" two holes (because you have not swapped the bleeders).

(Bleeders swapped, correct orientation)

P.S. Your build is sick
Are you sure your bleeders are swapped? Your brake line looks like it's in the top hole.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #98
Fizz
Senior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
Just installed 05 STI callipers on to my BRZ. I decided against going through the hassle of swapping bleeders after reading Element Tunings real world experience without doing it. It's not that I'm incompetent or lazy, I just preferred not to due it since they are 9 year old calipers and more than likely would cause more headaches than anything else. I'll post up impressions on how it goes so that we get some more real world data on it.

When I went out and bedded the pads tonight I noticed immediately that there is a lot more bite in the brake pedal now. I'm not sure what to look for in degraded performance, but I was pleasantly surprised when I hit the pedal aggressively from 100km/h.

If uneven pad wear or premature pad wear are the only detriment to this orientation then I honestly could care less.

Also, are there any concerns in mounting the brake line outside of the posts if you do swap the bleeders?
My thoughts exactly. I've been using mine the 'wrong way' round for a couple of months now and for daily driving I don't feel any side effects. Pad wear appears even so far. Perhaps longer term, or if you track the car, then you might see uneven wear. But then again if you track this car you should be using the Sprint kits instead of the Brembo's anyway.