follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 AM   #43
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
The IAM will not start to increase until the engine is satisfying certain RPM and load parameters. IAM will not try and increase during low load (normal low RPM) driving.

Basically, most of the 2nd half of that log the ECU isn't even trying to increase timing, that may not be due to it seeing knock etc. Its not ideal that its starting at 0.52. Its hard to tell if its pulling timing during the WOT pulls as you've not repeated them so there's nothing to compare.
thanks, so if I'm understanding what you're saying, I should start the logging and do multiple WOT pulls in one go, to see if IAM continues to rise? I guess the biggest question I have is, is it even safe to be doing WOT runs if I'm getting the numbers I'm getting? i.e. I know the ECU pulling timing is bad, but how bad is it? is it "whoa, go easy on the engine until you get that resolved" bad or is it "you're just getting sub-optimal results but keep testing" bad.

tomorrow I will flash back to stock mapping and see what happens, so I have some kind of baseline.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:36 AM   #44
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Does anyone know what the target kc values are? I know mine weren't 6 all the way across....

Since it's gotten colder and i have been rolling on the throttle more i haven't seen my iam drop yet. Haven't had a chance to log in a few weeks though.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 AM   #45
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
thanks, so if I'm understanding what you're saying, I should start the logging and do multiple WOT pulls in one go, to see if IAM continues to rise? I guess the biggest question I have is, is it even safe to be doing WOT runs if I'm getting the numbers I'm getting? i.e. I know the ECU pulling timing is bad, but how bad is it? is it "whoa, go easy on the engine until you get that resolved" bad or is it "you're just getting sub-optimal results but keep testing" bad.

There's a technique with braking whilst accelerating for a short period to generate enough load to effectively bump up the IAM. But yes, repeatability of runs and then monitor ignition advance and knock learned values. If there's any obvious reduction in timing then you know that something is up. I wouldn't be massively concerned about it happening when testing, the knock strategy is there for a reason. You don't want a car that is knocking lots over a long period of time but if you can peg down what's happening and then rectify it then you should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
Does anyone know what the target kc values are? I know mine weren't 6 all the way across....

Depends on the map/tuner.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
PMok (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 AM   #46
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah i guess i should have specified oft or vishnu stg1 map.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #47
Kodename47

Quote:
Yeah i guess i should have specified oft or vishnu stg1 map.
By KC I assume you meant learnt ignition advance? Just open up the ign. advance table and have a look. If you can just look at a log showing load and knock learn values and compare to that table. On an NA car the load drops in the torque dip area so that's worth knowing, I have no idea if Shiv's maps have a flat advance value for each load column. If his don't then it's likely it's just that.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 01-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #48
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Since it's gotten colder and i have been rolling on the throttle more i haven't seen my iam drop yet. Haven't had a chance to log in a few weeks though.

Had to ask a few people this question think I have it sorted now.

If your IAM is 1 then your KC Learned value should match the Advance values in the Engine RPM Vs Engine Load Table.

If the KC Learned is less than the advance values in the RPM Vs Load table then its either Knock at that RPM/Load point or your IAM is less than 1.

If all good KC learned will track values in in the Advance RPM Vs Load table. so its not going to be a constant value.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #49
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
so I did another run today on a full tank of 91, with similar results.

http://www.datazap.me/u/pmok/stage-1...og=0&data=1-12

Adv. Multiplier was around 0.52 when I started the car. As you can see it went back up a little during the run, but still nowhere near 1.00 at all. Thoughts/recommendations? Assume that I have no tuning skills at all and very little inclination to get too involved into it. Should I be worried enough to switch back to stock tune, or find a way to get higher octane gas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfull View Post
Try recording some runs on the stock tune to see if u still have similar results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
The IAM will not start to increase until the engine is satisfying certain RPM and load parameters. IAM will not try and increase during low load (normal low RPM) driving.

Basically, most of the 2nd half of that log the ECU isn't even trying to increase timing, that may not be due to it seeing knock etc. Its not ideal that its starting at 0.52. Its hard to tell if its pulling timing during the WOT pulls as you've not repeated them so there's nothing to compare.
So I flashed back to stock tune and drove around for about 70-100 miles today. Then did some more WOT runs to log, however I noticed that the Adv. Multiplier is not logged or stays at 0 while on the stock tune. So I am not sure how useful this log is, but here it is as a baseline reference. Seems like AFR is normal (as expected on a stock tune) on the WOT runs, so it does seem like the Stage 1 tune is just too aggressive/too rich for me.

http://www.datazap.me/u/pmok/stock-m...g=0&data=1-8-9

so not sure what the next step is. I see Vishnu just released newest version of OTS Stage 1 tune v1.55b which I could try out. And if I get similar results as before, I will find a way to bump up octane, or continue to run stock map.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:24 AM   #50
Kodename47

Quote:
So I flashed back to stock tune and drove around for about 70-100 miles today. Then did some more WOT runs to log, however I noticed that the Adv. Multiplier is not logged or stays at 0 while on the stock tune. So I am not sure how useful this log is, but here it is as a baseline reference. Seems like AFR is normal (as expected on a stock tune) on the WOT runs, so it does seem like the Stage 1 tune is just too aggressive/too rich for me.

so not sure what the next step is. I see Vishnu just released newest version of OTS Stage 1 tune v1.55b which I could try out. And if I get similar results as before, I will find a way to bump up octane, or continue to run stock map.
Or just reduce the timing in the advance/base table if you can work out areas where there are issues.

I'll run your log through the ECUtek software when I'm on a laptop as I can overlay the runs to compare more easily. Seems like the OFT can't monitor IAM on your stock ROM.

Kodename 47 DJ:
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
PMok (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #51
steve99
Banned

Quote:

The stock ROM won't monitor IAM as there needs to be a mod to the rom to allow the OFT to monitor that parameter .

Looking at your log and KC Learned values it appears the problem areas are 1500-3000 rpm under load this seems to be a common problem and if you look at the stage 1 tunes shiv pulls a bit of timing in these rpm/load ranges.

For example couple of instance where rpm= 2500 load=1 advance table (stock tune) shows timing should be about 9 but your KC learned is about 4 or less. So it looks like if this continued you would end up with an IAM = 4/9 or around 0.5 like you had before

If all was good the advance table and the kc learned should track each other (assuming no knock and IAM=1)

This means its pulling timing in this area regularly due knock which is going to drop your IAM. So it would appear you have same problem with stock tune

ie it the low octane fuel 91, easiest way to prove is try better octane fuel or add octane booster and log again

here is a short log off my car stage 1 tune on 100 Octane (RON) would be about 95 in your rating

http://datazap.me/u/steve99/100-octa...zoom=7321-9545

At 2500 rpm load 1, Kc learned is about 5 which corresponds to stage 1 advance table (it has less advance than stock map

you just need better fuel by the looks of it

Last edited by steve99; 02-01-2014 at 06:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
PMok (02-01-2014), tracerit (02-08-2015)
Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #52
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
you just need better fuel by the looks of it
Easier said than done unfortunately... specially if you live in Kaliforniastan. This piss water is costing us some serious ponies.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #53
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
After a few days and a few hundred miles of logs, I've gone through a few revisions of map changes with slight reductions of advance in a few areas. Namely, 2600, 3200, and 4000rpm in a couple of load areas.. My IAM is holding steady at 1 now.

I'm certain my car was dropping IAM on stock tune well before I had the ability to log it with oft. Because I remember days where the car would feel sluggish and other days where it seemed to run better. Now that I have the ability to log, that same sluggish feel is visible in IAM drops. Pretty sad really. Subaru/toyota did a piss poor job of tuning this car to run on 91 octane. And if it's this bad on 91 it is on the ragged edge of 93 too.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #54
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
After a few days and a few hundred miles of logs, I've gone through a few revisions of map changes with slight reductions of advance in a few areas. Namely, 2600, 3200, and 4000rpm in a couple of load areas.. My IAM is holding steady at 1 now.

I'm certain my car was dropping IAM on stock tune well before I had the ability to log it with oft. Because I remember days where the car would feel sluggish and other days where it seemed to run better. Now that I have the ability to log, that same sluggish feel is visible in IAM drops. Pretty sad really. Subaru/toyota did a piss poor job of tuning this car to run on 91 octane. And if it's this bad on 91 it is on the ragged edge of 93 too.
Considering they have 100RON (roughly 94-95 AKI) widely available in Japan, it was probably originally designed for that. And then all the US certification fuels are 97RON, roughly 92 AKI. So yeah, Cali pump gas was probably an afterthought.

I personally agree that the stock tune was not optimized for California fuel, and most of the knock retard occurring is a result of that.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #55
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Easier said than done unfortunately... specially if you live in Kaliforniastan. This piss water is costing us some serious ponies.

Does you 91 already have 10% ethanol in it ??

If not could you put in a mix of 91 and E85 to bring overall ethanol to about 10% this should then give you a couple of extra points of octane rating which might reduce your knock issues while still being able to run the petrol map.

Or add some octane booster ?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #56
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Does you 91 already have 10% ethanol in it ??

If not could you put in a mix of 91 and E85 to bring overall ethanol to about 10% this should then give you a couple of extra points of octane rating which might reduce your knock issues while still being able to run the petrol map.

Or add some octane booster ?
CA already has 10% ethanol already added.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote