follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: What is your Old Timer Level (age)?
40-49 78 45.09%
50-59 50 28.90%
60-69 24 13.87%
70-79 8 4.62%
80-89 0 0%
90+ 13 7.51%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #85
NMMI89
Master of Chaos

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was in my sophomore college year at New Mexico Military Institute in Roswell, NM. I was headed back to campus after libo. I was between a small podunk town called Vaughn, NM and Roswell. I was doing about 75 MPH ( in a 1980 toyota celica/ supra) which back in the 80's was waaay over the speed limit (55 MPH). I got stopped by a NM State Police officer. When he came up I already resigned to the fact I was going to get a ticket. When he asked for my registration I had to reach over into the glove compartment. On my sweat jacket I was wearing had "NMMI" on the back. He saw this and said "You go to the Institute boy?" I said yes sir. He then asked "What troop?" I said Hotel troop sir. He took his shades off and said "I was 3rd Squadron commander in 1977". My troop was 3rd herd. He then put his shades back on and said "There's no cops between here and Roswell. Be careful and get out of here" I couldn't believe my luck. I got back to school in record time.
NMMI89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NMMI89 For This Useful Post:
einzlr (11-09-2012), Jedi1 (11-08-2012), Spartan65 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #86
Don Ivey

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I do think, as has been mentioned, if we're going to hang out, we need a way to start threads within the "oldtimers" group. Otherwise, it gets cumbersome, and nobody can search out specific topics. Just my $.02
Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #87
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
I do think, as has been mentioned, if we're going to hang out, we need a way to start threads within the "oldtimers" group. Otherwise, it gets cumbersome, and nobody can search out specific topics. Just my $.02
Agreed absolutely, especially since the search doesn't work very well. The poll for selecting the group name expires next week. When it does, I'll create the group, but I'm still hoping @Spartan65 or someone else will explain to me what that really means i.e. what does having a group give us?

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #88
einzlr

@NMMI89's story reminds me of an opposite story of my own. Again in the '69 Mustang. It was our family car for 10+ years so there are a lot of stories involving that car lol. Anyway we were on a family road trip, Dad driving, and we get pulled over for speeding. My father argues with the cop, pointing out that he was barely keeping up with traffic and that other cars were passing us. The cop conceded the point, but still gave my dad the ticket to "make up for all the times you really deserve it and we don't catch you". Wish I had a photo of the Mustang to underscore the point - the fake hoodscoop and stripes down the side did indeed make it look like a car owned by reckless hooligans

EDIT: Ok found a few on google images that will sort of do. Ours was Bullitt green, similar to these cars, and the hood scoop is right, but I couldn't find pics of any with the stripes the way I remember them.

Last edited by einzlr; 11-09-2012 at 12:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (11-09-2012), NMMI89 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #89
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I think it's like a subsription to what other group members post @einzlr
Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #90
NMMI89
Master of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
Agreed absolutely, especially since the search doesn't work very well. The poll for selecting the group name expires next week. When it does, I'll create the group, but I'm still hoping @Spartan65 or someone else will explain to me what that really means i.e. what does having a group give us?

A chance to remember the old days before technology, computers and cell phones ruled our lives. When cars had carburetors and analog instruments.
The Following User Says Thank You to NMMI89 For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #91
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65 View Post
I think it's like a subsription to what other group members post @einzlr
Ah, so we won't have an area where we can make our own threads per se? In other forums people sometimes just keep one "club thread" going indefinitely. That sort of works, but like NMMI89 said, it's hard to search; it's also hard to get caught up if you're gone for a while. I suppose we could try to adopt a convention where we start our thread titles with our group name, not sure how well that would work.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #92
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMI89 View Post
A chance to remember the old days before technology, computers and cell phones ruled our lives. When cars had carburetors and analog instruments.
Exactly! That'd be lots of fun, especially since we have a nice range of decades represented here.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #93
CharlieChaos

Drives: FRS
Awww I still have 15 years before I can join you guys >.<.

My grandfather was very old school my parents were not allowed to get their license until they could drive stick and change their own fluids. My parents told me I couldn't get my license until I could pass my drivers test in a stick (first time with a 95).

I am in the house my grandfather build which lucky for me when he build the garage and didn't believe in paying for oil changes has a car pit in it =)

So here's to the Old Timers!

http://genometuning.com
http://www.BlackHandGaming.com
CharlieChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlieChaos For This Useful Post:
einzlr (11-09-2012), snapspinner (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #94
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieChaos View Post

My grandfather was very old school my parents were not allowed to get their license until they could drive stick and change their own fluids. My parents told me I couldn't get my license until I could pass my drivers test in a stick (first time with a 95).

I am in the house my grandfather build which lucky for me when he build the garage and didn't believe in paying for oil changes has a car pit in it =)

Welcome and thanks for your story! Young people who want to listen in, ask questions, retell stories from their parents and grandparents and otherwise make positive contributions are welcome to join as Honorary Members (see post #1) :happy0180:

Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #95
NMMI89
Master of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieChaos View Post

Your grandfather was cool.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #96
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMI89 View Post
I remember cruising on I-25 with my cousin Bob, he had this Emeron Emerald Green 68 Chevelle. He was pretty trusting to let me cut my teeth on that car as far as recommendations, and modifications. I was still paying my Pops back for the money he lent me for my 56 210 post Bel-Air.
Bob scored this straight body 6 cylinder 3 on the tree 68 Chevelle, I wrote down a list of things we could do to it from ideas I had seen in Hot Rod. I used to watch this one builder closely Scott Sullivan He would be the guy that was my mentor through the pages of Hot Rod.
I helped Bob pull a 350 four bolt main from this old Cream Land milk truck. We landed up having it bored .30 over and he picked up new 12:1 TRW Pop up pistons and matching rods. I found a steel crank from a local racer that was out a COPO 302 Z-28, having it balanced and the block line bored, I remember Bob's ass cringing at the dough he laid out. I guaranteed him this would be the heart of his car and it would be worth it. Because of the cost he bought an engine stand and the rest of the build would take place in the wash room where his dog slept.
I had a hard time finding the heads, no 2.02 anywhere so we settled for the 1.94 camel backs got them cheap so we took them to ABQ and Kenny Noice beaded em, flow benched them with new Manely valves, Crower springs and retainers. Bob drew the dollar line no roller rockers, but we put tappets that had needle bearing rollers on them. The cam was a mid range monster about a 454/463 gross lift from Crower. He came home one day with this awesome set of OEM Vette tall valve covers, so I took them to school and glass beaded them in auto shop. He took them to the guy that painted the car and had them painted to match the car but with Corvette in red with the fins in black. Clarence at the paint shop sold him a cross ram manifold from a Camaro.
I've always thought of Bob as the big brother I never had, for a while I thought we were going to give birth to Rosemarie’s baby, this car was either going to be unique or fizzle like a cheap firecracker. Bob found a couple of Holley 650cfm vacuum secondarys right around the time it was his birthday, I asked him if I could take them to school. I bought two rebuild kits, stripped em and dipped them and polished the bodies and bowls and took them to him a couple of weeks later, he was ready to kill me while he was waiting for me to bring them back from school, he had no idea, the grin on his mug was worth it.
One Saturday we went down to Henry’s tire, it was in the old McDonald’s building, he bought some 15 x 8 American racing Gold modular, they were chrome hoops with gold center and black stamped rivets. Not my first choice, not my car when we took the wheels and tires to Clarence, it was the first time I’d seen it since it was painted. He used an airplane paint which was legal at the time. An Emeron Emerald Green with Gold Super Sport stripes. He popped the hood and there was a bare short block bolted in where the straight six used to go. He’d been busy getting the car ready for the new motor. He said we needed to stop by Roybal’s transmission. He backed up my Dad’s 1974 Datsun pickup; I wish I still had that little truck too. Paul rolled out a black M22 Rock Crusher tranny with a hugger orange bell housing bolted to it. Paul’s dad carried out some boxes McLeod boxes and off we went.
My dad had taught me to drive in that truck, MT all the way, I was 12. Bob got us on St Francis drive and home we went. I can’t help but think if I had that truck still it would probably have a SR20det.
I remember it felt like Christmas coming home from school one day and going into the garage and seeing the Chevelle there, blanket on the roof with the hood sitting up there. A brand new 8 track of Van Halen’s first album was in my eight track player; it looked like a suit case. When you opened it up it was two speakers with a cord that plugged into the wall and a slot for the cartridges.
I went and sat in my 56 and started sanding the dash, Bob wouldn’t be home till five or so. When my mind fleets back in time knowing what I know now, I can’t help but thinking that dash would jack a person up in an accident. I had a wonder bar radio sitting in a trash bag on the passenger floor telling to keep sanding.
Both cars were actually finished his that day mine about a year later, Sorry about getting long winded, us old guys sometime ramble on.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #97
NMMI89
Master of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65 View Post
I remember cruising on I-25 with my cousin Bob, he had this Emeron Emerald Green 68 Chevelle. He was pretty trusting to let me cut my teeth on that car as far as recommendations, and modifications. I was still paying my Pops back for the money he lent me for my 56 210 post Bel-Air.
Bob scored this straight body 6 cylinder 3 on the tree 68 Chevelle, I wrote down a list of things we could do to it from ideas I had seen in Hot Rod. I used to watch this one builder closely Scott Sullivan He would be the guy that was my mentor through the pages of Hot Rod.
I helped Bob pull a 350 four bolt main from this old Cream Land milk truck. We landed up having it bored .30 over and he picked up new 12:1 TRW Pop up pistons and matching rods. I found a steel crank from a local racer that was out a COPO 302 Z-28, having it balanced and the block line bored, I remember Bob's ass cringing at the dough he laid out. I guaranteed him this would be the heart of his car and it would be worth it. Because of the cost he bought an engine stand and the rest of the build would take place in the wash room where his dog slept.
I had a hard time finding the heads, no 2.02 anywhere so we settled for the 1.94 camel backs got them cheap so we took them to ABQ and Kenny Noice beaded em, flow benched them with new Manely valves, Crower springs and retainers. Bob drew the dollar line no roller rockers, but we put tappets that had needle bearing rollers on them. The cam was a mid range monster about a 454/463 gross lift from Crower. He came home one day with this awesome set of OEM Vette tall valve covers, so I took them to school and glass beaded them in auto shop. He took them to the guy that painted the car and had them painted to match the car but with Corvette in red with the fins in black. Clarence at the paint shop sold him a cross ram manifold from a Camaro.
I've always thought of Bob as the big brother I never had, for a while I thought we were going to give birth to Rosemarie’s baby, this car was either going to be unique or fizzle like a cheap firecracker. Bob found a couple of Holley 650cfm vacuum secondarys right around the time it was his birthday, I asked him if I could take them to school. I bought two rebuild kits, stripped em and dipped them and polished the bodies and bowls and took them to him a couple of weeks later, he was ready to kill me while he was waiting for me to bring them back from school, he had no idea, the grin on his mug was worth it.
One Saturday we went down to Henry’s tire, it was in the old McDonald’s building, he bought some 15 x 8 American racing Gold modular, they were chrome hoops with gold center and black stamped rivets. Not my first choice, not my car when we took the wheels and tires to Clarence, it was the first time I’d seen it since it was painted. He used an airplane paint which was legal at the time. An Emeron Emerald Green with Gold Super Sport stripes. He popped the hood and there was a bare short block bolted in where the straight six used to go. He’d been busy getting the car ready for the new motor. He said we needed to stop by Roybal’s transmission. He backed up my Dad’s 1974 Datsun pickup; I wish I still had that little truck too. Paul rolled out a black M22 Rock Crusher tranny with a hugger orange bell housing bolted to it. Paul’s dad carried out some boxes McLeod boxes and off we went.
My dad had taught me to drive in that truck, MT all the way, I was 12. Bob got us on St Francis drive and home we went. I can’t help but think if I had that truck still it would probably have a SR20det.
I remember it felt like Christmas coming home from school one day and going into the garage and seeing the Chevelle there, blanket on the roof with the hood sitting up there. A brand new 8 track of Van Halen’s first album was in my eight track player; it looked like a suit case. When you opened it up it was two speakers with a cord that plugged into the wall and a slot for the cartridges.
I went and sat in my 56 and started sanding the dash, Bob wouldn’t be home till five or so. When my mind fleets back in time knowing what I know now, I can’t help but thinking that dash would jack a person up in an accident. I had a wonder bar radio sitting in a trash bag on the passenger floor telling to keep sanding.
Both cars were actually finished his that day mine about a year later, Sorry about getting long winded, us old guys sometime ramble on.
Ramble on, old guy, ramble on. The youth of today benefits from your wisdom.
The Following User Says Thank You to NMMI89 For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (04-06-2013)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #98
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
The 90 plus votes (six of them) are obviously bullshit.

Oh well, I think they say it was just around '94 that usenet spilled over to the lesser plebians and there hasn't been truth and decency on the interwebz since.

...just an old guy rambling
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
septuagenarian badassery