follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #15
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Bump. Eager for any information you may have if you've looked at the transmission yet.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #16
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
Bump. Eager for any information you may have if you've looked at the transmission yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksTrans View Post
Hey guys,
We have had a few people reach out to us about building the automatic to hold more power.
So we are just curious how much interest is out there to see if its worth looking into.

Same I'm curious what they could offer!

Maybe some kind of upgrade packages that decrease shift time for those with lighter mods. I know SSP offered stuff for our transmissions and thats about it
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Same I'm curious what they could offer!

Maybe some kind of upgrade packages that decrease shift time for those with lighter mods. I know SSP offered stuff for our transmissions and thats about it

Seems like different gearing, harder/faster shifts, rotational mass reduction, or stronger components for more hp are about all you can mod a tranny. And a high stall converter on autos.

I know there are already high stall converters, and valve body’s for harder/faster shifts and holding onto more power. And from what I’ve read this auto is actually more durable then the manual.

So maybe they are working on gears or maybe it’s posisble to reduce rotional mass some how?

And the price to benefit would have to be reasonable. So I’m not all that optimistic about this one. But here’s to hoping
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #18
North_GA_FRS

Drives: 2013 Toyota FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Are you guy planning on doing anything in addition to what SSP is already doing? In terms of tracking the auto, my biggest issue after replacing the clutch packs and valve body, is 5th and 6th gear being too tall. FD can be replaced with shorter to improve 5th gear acceleration, or longer to avoid 5th gear all together. However, both options have significant drawbacks.
North_GA_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #19
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
After 5 years of HARD tracking, last 2 with a Jackson, tranny shifts better than new !
Only ONE complete oil change 2 1/2 years ago, but I put in a tranny oil cooler very early.
No sign of any degradation in performance, nice fast shifts and auto rev matching engine braking !

For next season , new Eneos tranny fluid, and upping my WHP to 400.

But the tranny definitely needs all the gears lower to make up for a to high for the track rr end ratio on auto twins.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
Stark Performance (08-29-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #20
Muffukka

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am interested. I currently have a 2017 86 that is having a stage 3 engine built, with a 3076 turbo. Going to run 15-25 lbs.of boost, with 500+ rwhp. Would like to build the transmission now, while the engine is being built.
Muffukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
WRBrzRX

Drives: runs&drives
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The ATs I've seen rarely fail because the torque converter is the weak point like a clutch. They go fairly easily under boost. SSP in Minnesota has solved this with a beefier, higher stall TC. Their valve pack is available for snappier shifts, but unless we're talking about shortening up gear ratios there's not much profitable niche left to fill.
WRBrzRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
After 5 years of HARD tracking, last 2 with a Jackson, tranny shifts better than new !
Only ONE complete oil change 2 1/2 years ago, but I put in a tranny oil cooler very early.
No sign of any degradation in performance, nice fast shifts and auto rev matching engine braking !

For next season , new Eneos tranny fluid, and upping my WHP to 400.

But the tranny definitely needs all the gears lower to make up for a to high for the track rr end ratio on auto twins.
Glad to hear the cooler kit is doing its job of keeping your transmission shifting smoothly!
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #23
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Performance View Post
Glad to hear the cooler kit is doing its job of keeping your transmission shifting smoothly!
My first track day in 2012 at the Gran Prix track at Mosport the tranny went into safe mode due to the heat. Got the Stark cooler and all was well.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
Stark Performance (08-29-2018)