follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #43
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Seriously though, I have a question:

What are you currently using for a harness in your FR-S. Are you using the stock belts? Do you lock the inertia reel, or just go loose?
I know, answering my own question is kind of lame, but it has been over a year since I wrote this post and I have more experience with my car:

On the longer track (Brainerd International Raceway), I felt the stock belts system was not adequate to hold me in place. I moved around a lot, and kept trying to pull the belt tight during my driving sessions. When I again have the funds, I will be looking for a better alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
On the street in the winter I leave all the driving aids on. The stability control saved me from spinning a couple of times this winter on icy highways/freeways.
A year later: I now drive almost exclusively with the traction control shut off (mostly: with the buttons, not with the pedal dance). I am now convinced that the rear squirm I felt in icy conditions last year was a result of the stability control. When easing off the throttle in very icy conditions, the drivetrain drag is enough to cause a little slip. With attentive driving, this is normally (marginally) controllable. I think the stability system engages the rear brakes in this situation to "mitigate" the movement, making it more difficult to control. I think the rear brakes may be engaged by the system even when the clutch pedal is depressed. Depressing the clutch pedal would normally just make the car nearly free-rolling. The stability system may also engage the rear brakes with the cruise control on. I really think this may be one of the root causes of many of the multi-car pile-ups this winter on the nation's roadways.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Tire For This Useful Post:
amram (03-28-2014), PMok (04-03-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 AM   #44
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What are the thoughts on using track pipes?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:15 AM   #45
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Just stumbled across this! Thanks Mike!!
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #46
Alan

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd. / E60 M5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did my first couple HPDE events with NASA this month and last. I had done a couple single member days with a friend in my M5 previously. Things I learned doing a two day school:

1. 4 20 minute sessions and 3 half hour classroom sessions is plenty. You'll be tired.
2. Even if you are not thirsty, drink. It gets hot in the car, even on a cool day with your helmet, stress, mouth open, talking to your instructor. You get dry VERY quick. If you aren't peeing every hour or two, drink more.
3. Fresh socks are great. Also, driving shoes are for driving. Comfortable shoes are for walking around the paddock.
4. Don't leave your torque wrench in your other car when you drop it off at the shop. I now own two 1/2" drive torque wrenches. Thank god for a timely HF coupon.
5. You know what's better than fresh socks? Fresh underwear and shorts for the drive home.
6. As you get faster over the course of the day/weekend, bad habits that were completely OK at morning speeds wind up in a world of trouble at afternoon speeds.
7. You may end up with a conservative instructor who starts you out VERY slow. Don't get frustrated. Chances are you'll be passing people by session 3.
8. Let the Group 1 (Green) Corvette drivers pass you when they drive up your ass on the straights. Then watch them miss every apex over the course of the next lap. My instructor predicted this and was 100% correct. He says 911 Turbo guys are guilty of this too, but we had none in our group.
9. If you've got 8 sessions over the weekend with your instructor, swap out session 6 or 7 mid-second day for a different instructor and get a different perspective. Really helps make BOTH instructors advice clearer.
10. Get better fluid before your first day!!! Four people in my group had brake fade issues with stock fluid. Two of those people were at their first school.
11. Don't eat a big lunch. Your 2:30 session will be painful. I felt much better on day 2 eating a chicken caesar salad as opposed to the sandwich I had on day 1.
12. After a day of driving and two race groups, the rubber marbles bouncing off, under, around and on top off your car will sound like hell - especially in a 86 twin. Don't worry about it.
13. Get ready to spend money. Lots and lots of money to sign up for more schools.
14. If you start making a lot of mistakes near the end of the day, pull off. Little mistakes piss you off. Large mistakes bend metal.
15. Did I talk about socks and underwear?

Hope this is helpful. Your early experiences may differ of course.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
GeorgeJFrick (10-02-2015), juliog (05-20-2014), Kido1986 (05-20-2014), kravi (03-21-2016), litemup (06-30-2014), Quentin (10-22-2014), ShoShin (05-23-2014), unsurety (06-23-2014), zdr93523 (08-09-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #47
Maowc
EndlessClouds

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the tips!!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #48
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I have read this before and enjoyed. I read other information in this sub before racing the "AutoX" at the Wicked Big Meet at the Stafford Motor Speedway. Next weekend (on Sunday) is my first real track experience and it is with instruction at THIS event at the NJ Motorsports Park.
@CSG Mike, I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge. I do have one question (for now at least :laugh. Why do you say not to engage the parking brake? Is it to allow the rears to cool?
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #49
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I have read this before and enjoyed. I read other information in this sub before racing the "AutoX" at the Wicked Big Meet at the Stafford Motor Speedway. Next weekend (on Sunday) is my first real track experience and it is with instruction at THIS event at the NJ Motorsports Park.
@CSG Mike, I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge. I do have one question (for now at least :laugh. Why do you say not to engage the parking brake? Is it to allow the rears to cool?
Ill just in to help. Yes. Your brakes will be VERY hot afterwards. Engaging brakes and holding them when still and hot will allow transfer of material.

I would even avoid holding foot brake when idle as much as possible after coming off. My personal suggestion is to find flat ground, let the engine run with AC on for a 5 minutes when coming off track (secondary fan will run, blowing air onto the oilpan), then lift your hood and shut the car off. Shaded spot if possible.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kido1986 For This Useful Post:
Luckrider (06-29-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #50
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why do you say not to engage the parking brake? Is it to allow the rears to cool?
I was told that engaging the parking brake while hot right after a track session, would possibly lead to warped rotors.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 AM   #51
litemup
Banned

Drives: around
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I've been known to turn the aids off without telling them from time to time if I feel comfortable; I'm in the car with them and I certainly am not going to risk wrecking.
Old post, I know. Something about this leaves me feeling, hmmm, ...violated.

You're the instructor but it's MY car.

>> no offense intended <<
litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to litemup For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 AM   #52
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yup, it's to let the brakes cool, prevent sticking, warping, a lot of bad things.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Luckrider (06-30-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #53
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Garage
I would once again like to thank everyone for the information provided. I had an amazing day on Sunday and advanced as a driver more than I expected. The BRZ also tremendously outperformed my expectations. The first session was paced. The next had no pace car and was what qualified me to bump from the beginner group to the advanced group. I had a 200 mile trip each way which was driven down, tracked, and back all in one day. I managed to make my e85 and 5 gallon can last the trip down and through 2 sessions before I had to switch to 93. I also melted my tires and was supremely impressed with how well they performed at temp being 320 wear.

I have some raw helmet cam footage, but I need to cut it down some before uploading.

PS... I only cooked the breaks twice and it was coming from 100 to 40 both times getting caught behind slower cars coming into turn 7 on New Jersey Motorsports Park Lightning track which is notorious for eating RWD cars (and made a full track prepped S2000 eat it twice). The first time was because I accidentally had the damn traction control on for the first session and our pace car was trying to get the other cars to catch up. Looks like fluid and pads are a must before my next time on track.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #54
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i've been just using the right sport mode button. so you guys are advising a tap of the left button too? or the 5 second hold? or the pedal dance? i'm pretty solidly intermediate.
sickmint79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #55
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Garage
It is that time again... I'm in the process of preparing for my next HPDE day. This one is at the brand new Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park and is happening in less than 2 weeks. This time I'm not being silly by trying to drag e85 out to far East Connecticut (although it did mean almost 10mph on the front straight of Lighting at NJMP).

I am getting ready to do my brakes, but I am struggling to choose brake pads that will be sufficient for my use of the car as a daily driver. The factory pads honestly did me very well and I am really only swapping because they now have 20,000 miles. The only aspects where I want the brakes to be comfortable is on my wallet and not biting too hard on the street, otherwise, they can be as loud and dusty as they want. Also, what brake fluid comes in this car DOT3 or DOT4? Can I use a good brand DOT4 synthetic over the race brands like Motul? Any suggestions @CSG Mike? I wouldn't mind going more aggressive in the rear as it felt like the bias was a little far forward.

@Kido1986 Why running the AC over something like running the heat? Is your main goal solely to get air on the oil pan and not worry about the coolant?

Edit: The more I read and the more I see people complaining about oil temps. The last trackday was 90+F and my temps never went up to 210. It usually hovered between 203 and 206 hitting as high as 209 while on the track. This was with Mobil 1 5W20 from Sam's Club (6 quarts at $36 is pretty decent).

Last edited by Luckrider; 08-09-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #56
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
@Luckrider

Yes, running the AC runs the secondary fan and blows right on the oil pan.

I run the car with AC for a few minutes, then turn the engine off and run ignition on to keep the AC fan blowing, to lower the temps as quick as possible
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote