follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2024, 07:26 PM   #1
1234eher

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Did I do something bad? Knocked key into "Start" position while driving

Keeping a long story short, while driving accidentally pushed the key into the "Start position" (the position furtherest clockwise, like cranking to start the car) while driving. My 12V accessories like dashcam, phone charger, and headunit rebooted. Didin't hear any nasty noises or anything. Could there have been any damage? what are the consequences of this?

Couldn't find anything in the manual, trying to learn. Thank you in advance.
1234eher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 11:16 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,876 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234eher View Post
Keeping a long story short, while driving accidentally pushed the key into the "Start position" (the position furtherest clockwise, like cranking to start the car) while driving. My 12V accessories like dashcam, phone charger, and headunit rebooted. Didin't hear any nasty noises or anything. Could there have been any damage? what are the consequences of this?

Couldn't find anything in the manual, trying to learn. Thank you in advance.
Just don't do that no more -

Well, that won't be the first time someone has tried to "start" a car that is already running.

Back in the day, about the worst thing that would happen is that one would have ground a little metal off the starter gear and flywheel. Comments from bystanders might have been "grind me off a pound".

If your car's starter works fine after that, I wouldn't worry about it. If it don't, you might have to have the starter replaced.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
1234eher (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:29 PM   #3
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,276 Times in 8,630 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
In cars back in the day, when you turned the key, you actually engaged the starter. In modern computerized cars, all you do is ask the computer to please start the car. Computer knows the car is already started... No damage.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
1234eher (05-05-2024), Busybee (Yesterday), humfrz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM   #4
1234eher

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Just don't do that no more -

Well, that won't be the first time someone has tried to "start" a car that is already running.

Back in the day, about the worst thing that would happen is that one would have ground a little metal off the starter gear and flywheel. Comments from bystanders might have been "grind me off a pound".

If your car's starter works fine after that, I wouldn't worry about it. If it don't, you might have to have the starter replaced.
No noise, car started right up without issues. Definitely not a habit.
Nice to see that you're still around on the forums OG.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1234eher For This Useful Post:
Busybee (Yesterday), humfrz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM   #5
1234eher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
In cars back in the day, when you turned the key, you actually engaged the starter. In modern computerized cars, all you do is ask the computer to please start the car. Computer knows the car is already started... No damage.
Thank you for the information!!! learning as I go.

I was scared of the flywheel and starter the most. But this is a good explanation of why I didn't hear any noise or experience RPM fluctuation. only my accessories restarted, dash was still illuminated and uninterrupted.
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,876 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Good information.

Answer me this about new cars. mrs humfrz's new vehicle (Honda CR-V) has a start button. Now, it also has this pesty feature that shuts the engine down when idling then starts back up when you hit the gas.

Now, while the engine is in this "rest" mode, what would happen if one would hit the start button again?

Asking for her, since she won't let me drive her new car -

TIA
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM   #7
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,276 Times in 8,630 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good information.

Answer me this about new cars. mrs humfrz's new vehicle (Honda CR-V) has a start button. Now, it also has this pesty feature that shuts the engine down when idling then starts back up when you hit the gas.

Now, while the engine is in this "rest" mode, what would happen if one would hit the start button again?

Asking for her, since she won't let me drive her new car -

TIA
I have no idea. I've never had a car with the start/stop "feature".
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (Yesterday)

Tags
help please, question, troubleshoot