follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
good thing our cars are made by Toyota.. amright?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
jaynutter2
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Other than my Scion, I have bought one used Toyota and one new Toyota. They both had far too many problems and I got rid of them after a short time. Everyone else I know with Toyotas beat them up and they run forever. I had really bad luck with them, but they are still a reliable brand. Not likely to ever buy another, but only because they are boring and numb driving appliances.
jaynutter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm a little burnt with my experience as well. However, cars from all makes don't seem to be getting more reliable IMHO.

I get when a new cutting edge technology has some issues (Direct Injection, hybrid drives, etc etc) but when it comes to things like rolling off the assembly line (and worse, making it to the customer) with uneven body panels, bad head/tail lights, missing seals etc etc, that's just inexcusable.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Interest story. Like some member have stated, it might be be fluke or dealer forgot that, that outback is low battery.

Anyways, Subaru quality/reliable is not the greatest, but not the worse imo. iirc I remember reading in Jalopnik that some Outback owner drowned the Outback in the lake and left it there for the winter. In the spring time, when they tow it out from the lake, Outback did fire up without problem... at the same time, there are NA EJ25 gasket problem.

...man, sounds like Toyota cars (Toyota truck Top Gear = Reliable. Supra 7M = Gasket problem) LMAO
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
from my limited experience,
Then what qualifies any remarks you might have? Technically speaking your experience is no better than the OP witnessing a fluke. No car is impervious to failure.. but that I do have to say is a total fluke. OP, take it as a omen and stay away from subaru if you will. But question the brand reliability based on one 10 min experience? That's a bit shortsighted. If you own a FRS or BRZ.. you own a subaru product.

97K mi on my '10 wrx and not one single issue. The last 40K mi at 300tq/290hp. When I traded it in after returning it to factory spec it ran exactly the same as the day it turned over 1k mi. I never did anything more than regular scheduled maint by the manual.

I'm not alone, there are countless others that have same experience.

Could also compare the OP's experience to all the failures that other mfr's have. Lets not bring anything german into the discussion.. .. or domestic for that matter.. I hear Ford's are really showing up the competition lately lol

Last edited by mangostick; 01-29-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: bad grammer lol
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mangostick For This Useful Post:
M-17 (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a fluke to me.

So don't go running away from Subaru, perhaps just go to another Subaru dealership that knows what they're doing.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Garage
If the x wife didn't kill my 88GL wagon.. I'd still have it!
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
Then what qualifies any remarks you might have? Technically speaking your experience is no better than the OP witnessing a fluke. No car is impervious to failure.. but that I do have to say is a total fluke. OP, take it as a omen and stay away from subaru if you will. But question the brand reliability based on one 10 min experience? That's a bit shortsighted. If you own a FRS or BRZ.. you own a subaru product.

97K mi on my '10 wrx and not one single issue. The last 40K mi at 300tq/290hp. When I traded it in after returning it to factory spec it ran exactly the same as the day it turned over 1k mi. I never did anything more than regular scheduled maint by the manual.

I'm not alone, there are countless others that have same experience.

Could also compare the OP's experience to all the failures that other mfr's have. Lets not bring anything german into the discussion.. .. or domestic for that matter.. I hear Ford's are really showing up the competition lately lol
nothing really qualifies what i said (i did work at a shop literally next door to garage tuning). even in my phrase you quoted i admitted it was limited experience. im not saying that they are a company that builds questionable. im just saying that i have not been impressed. my first car was a mk2 supra with over 390k miles before i gave it away in perfect running condition. my next car was a mk3 that i sold at 250k miles. the last 5k miles were run with a broken rod (i hate college and the associated finances). my next toyota was an ae86 that i sold to a friend at 230k miles that is still running around. i had a sc 400 that was hit by a drunk driver parked outside my house with 160k. i have more anecdotes about toyota reliability but you get the point. that kind of stuff impresses me.

im not saying that you cant do that with a subaru, im just saying i havent seen it.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post

When the porter drops us and the salesman off at the dealership, the salesman knows not to bother with a follow-up, lol.
It's pretty sad if the salesman "knows not to bother with a followup". That means he is a quitter, and believes his product is not worthy of your money.

I agree that if you base your decisions on this experience you are probably not being logical, albeit your first impression and emotions are important.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #24
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Obviously I do not base my final decisions on a single event or occurrence as that would be illogical, but as some have astutely pointed out, this experience is the most salient event in my mind regarding Subaru to this date.

I have been on at least 55-60 test drives over the years, and have never had any vehicle fail to get me back to the dealership. Thus, this experience is tough to forget.

***Finally, many of you are missing the key point regarding this particular situation. The battery and not being able to restart the car wasn't the original problem. The
observed "limp mode" and CEL were the first problems to pop up.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
Innova

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Had my 400hp sti for 7 years 80k miles... Not one issue. Never even changed the spark plugs. Point is you rarely hear about the good stories... Only the bad

2013 BRZ Limited - 6-speed - Namelss, Perrin, Invidia, Unichip.
Innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #26
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
none of yall, except for Lonewolf, is married. try to suggest the wife to come back to any car dealer/brand after that kind of incident, you better own a lot of stock in that company.

if i want a car, i'll go test drive it first, then bring the wife. plain and simple.

and what's up with all these folks looking down on making an emotional (and partly logical) decision when buying a car? isn't that what they say about the twin anyway? between missing a chance to buy a reliable car and having to convince myself every day that it was a good buy, I would rather go with the former.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luxmn For This Useful Post:
Rayme (01-29-2013), Sigh-on-Rice (01-30-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova View Post
Had my 400hp sti for 7 years 80k miles... Not one issue. Never even changed the spark plugs. Point is you rarely hear about the good stories... Only the bad
True.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
none of yall, except for Lonewolf, is married. try to suggest the wife to come back to any car dealer/brand after that kind of incident, you better own a lot of stock in that company.

if i want a car, i'll go test drive it first, then bring the wife. plain and simple.

and what's up with all these folks looking down on making an emotional (and partly logical) decision when buying a car? isn't that what they say about the twin anyway? between missing a chance to buy a reliable car and having to convince myself every day that it was a good buy, I would rather go with the former.
So you know my pain, haha....:happy0180: