follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
matthui95

Drives: 2018 CWP Subaru BRZ Sport-tech RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Heated Seats System?

Probably a noob question. But, just wanted to see if I could get anything done about this.

As you guys probably know, our heated seats aren't the best out there. My parents just bought a 2015 Ford Escape Titanium and I find that those heated seats are great; 5 different levels of heat and the heat can get pretty hot, which is great considering I live in Toronto .. our winters are absolutely horrible.

Is it possible to get the heating pads (or whatever it is) as well as the heated seats switches into the BRZ? I would like to somehow have the Escape's entire heated seats system in my BRZ. Any insight on this would be great!

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Willing to modify that into two smaller controls (like the ones we have now) instead of one giant panel. Can do without the 12V.
matthui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
We have the same system in our Focus ST and I would give almost anything to have it in the FR-S. One of the things Ford got very, very right.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83712
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
youre welcome lol
http://www.clazzio.com/hsk2-sa.php
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
matthui95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
We have the same system in our Focus ST and I would give almost anything to have it in the FR-S. One of the things Ford got very, very right.
Agreed! Although I haven't tried THAT many different heated seats, I don't want to use something else other than Ford's now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
FR-S's don't come with heated seats, so it's probably just a heating pad between the seat cover and the actual seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlewistan View Post
Would be nice, but I still want to have Ford's heated seat system in the BRZ Just me being picky. But, I guess this means that I can somehow rip out the current heated seat system and put the Clazzio (or Ford's, if I can figure it out) system in ..
Old 03-04-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthui95 View Post
FR-S's don't come with heated seats, so it's probably just a heating pad between the seat cover and the actual seats.
yes, he had a heating element installed when he re-wrapped the seats.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 AM   #7
sidewayzfrs

Drives: black 2014 frs
I have heated seats in my frs but I never use them I know the seats in my bimmer were just a pad with heating wires shouldn't be to hard to modify
sidewayzfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
"Just" ? That's how seats are heated.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Step 1. Get frs/brz heated seat pads. Step 2. Get controls for Ford whatever. Step 3. Figure out wiring for Ford controls. Step 4. Find place to install Ford Controls. (Hardest part) Step 5. Wire it up and install controls. Step 6. Never freeze but in car again.

But seriously, If you can get a wiring diagram of the ford control unit, it shouldn't be too hard, except for mounting the controls. Each thing with a number is probably just a variable resistor changing the power input to the heating pads. The rest is an accessory 12v going into the control switch, power from controls to pad, then pad to a ground (for each).
Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
matthui95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeprelude View Post
Step 1. Get frs/brz heated seat pads. Step 2. Get controls for Ford whatever. Step 3. Figure out wiring for Ford controls. Step 4. Find place to install Ford Controls. (Hardest part) Step 5. Wire it up and install controls. Step 6. Never freeze but in car again.

But seriously, If you can get a wiring diagram of the ford control unit, it shouldn't be too hard, except for mounting the controls. Each thing with a number is probably just a variable resistor changing the power input to the heating pads. The rest is an accessory 12v going into the control switch, power from controls to pad, then pad to a ground (for each).
Would installing the Ford controls with the BRZ heated seat pads provide me with as much heat as I get in our Ford? Or would the heat be limited/bottlenecked by the pads that are already in the BRZ? (Meaning I'd have to get new ones)
Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
bfsnail

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Would installing the Ford controls with the BRZ heated seat pads provide me with as much heat as I get in our Ford? Or would the heat be limited/bottlenecked by the pads that are already in the BRZ? (Meaning I'd have to get new ones)
I'm fairly certain that new controls wont change the amount of heat going to your pads. The controls should just control how the energy gets to your pads, not the total amount delivered/usable. At best, you would have the 5 setting on the Ford controller being the same temp as the high setting on the OEM one.
bfsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsnail View Post
I'm fairly certain that new controls wont change the amount of heat going to your pads. The controls should just control how the energy gets to your pads, not the total amount delivered/usable. At best, you would have the 5 setting on the Ford controller being the same temp as the high setting on the OEM one.
This is correct.
Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #13
matthui95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsnail View Post
I guess installing just the new controls would be useless and definitely not worth the work needed. Looks like new heating pad + new controls is the way to go .. if I can figure out how and where to install the controls.

Doesn't seem like there's any good areas to place such a big panel. Suggestions anyone?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Doesn't seem like there's any good areas to place such a big panel. Suggestions anyone?
In the console? Honestly I think sourcing a 5-way switch and building your own circuit would be the way to go.

Tags
heat, heated seats, mod, seats