follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Do you have tools at home? Not that hard of a DIY job. Then take it to be checked on a rig
Old 05-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #16
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The $100 fee is because a real person had to do real work to diagnose the problem. Would YOU work for free? Why should the diagnosis be free?

I'd eat the $100 and take it to a place that specializes in suspension work (not a chain, do some research on good independent shops in your area) and get a second opinion and get the work done there. That $100 is not wasted, it's a baseline.

You won't get out of this cheap. The cheaper you try to get out of this the more expensive it'll get. Welcome to the game.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
chezzy79

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for the all the inputs, my deductible is stupid high at $2,500 but luckily I had coverage for custom parts too, so if the total repair cost is over $1,500 I will contact the insurance and have them repair the bumper, front lip, wheel, and possibly tire as well. But I will definitely need to take it to a different shop first with a frame puller and alignment machine.
chezzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chezzy79 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #18
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzy79 View Post
Thank you for the all the inputs, my deductible is stupid high at $2,500 but luckily I had coverage for custom parts too, so if the total repair cost is over $1,500 I will contact the insurance and have them repair the bumper, front lip, wheel, and possibly tire as well. But I will definitely need to take it to a different shop first with a frame puller and alignment machine.
Id be reluctant to report an incident like that to insurance. Single vehicle at fault accident will be a huge red flag on your account. How is your driving record otherwise?
Old 05-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #19
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
2500 dollar deductible!?!?!? Jfc, why even have insurance? Lol.

That looks like a decent amount of damage, probably to the subframe. I don't think they're trying to screw you, they probably took it apart and realized how bad it truly was. Happens all the time with insurance estimates, easy to happen in this situation.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #20
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hit curb avoiding deer......................or sasquatch.........whichever you have in WA.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (05-23-2016), chezzy79 (05-22-2016), humfrz (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #21
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
2500 dollar deductible!?!?!? Jfc, why even have insurance? Lol.

Not sure what type of health care insurance you have, but the wonderful morons in Congress that voted in the 'Affordable Health Care Act' (better known as Obamacare) have screwed the American public WAY worse than a $2500 deductible.

Unless you are rich and can afford their top of the line premium which lowers your deductible, then you have to choose what your income can afford. One of the cheaper plans (without a government subsidy, which is what the poor people get, gov't help) then here is what one of the plans is: $122.25 a month ($1,467 a year) with...........you'll love this.........an $8,500 deductible. Yeah, $8,500 deductible. If you don't take the Obamacare and don't have other private coverage, you can be fined $695 a year (and up) for not having it. Now, if you ask me, I rather have to pay the f'ing penalty than $122.25 and month and have an $8,500 deductible, which unless you have some type of really bad accident, you're basically paying the government to insure poor people. Uh huh, yeah you are.

Why the American public isn't beating down every Congressman's door who voted for this piece of crap plan is a damn shame...............

So, if you think a $2,500 deductible is outrageous, just think about all the Americans taking it in the backdoor for Obamacare.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #22
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post

I'd eat the $100 and take it to a place that specializes in suspension work (not a chain, do some research on good independent shops in your area) and get a second opinion and get the work done there. That $100 is not wasted, it's a baseline.
This is craziness, pay $100 then take it someplace else only to have it diagnosed again? Man I can only imagine how many times you've been duped.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #23
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Hello insurance, I was drifting and I wrecked yes will you cover me?
Probably laugh you off the phone and if you show up in person, kick you out the office. If you do choose to lie to them they will most likely catch the lie as they will investigate the damage, want to know where it happend, how it happend

BTW you have your deductible set way to high. If you have to set it that high to afford the insurance, you can't afford the car.Stupid krap like this is one of the reasons insurance is so high anyway and you have to pay a large deductible to afford it
raven1231 (05-31-2016), Summerwolf (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #24
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
As an insurance adjuster, I would suggest you file a claim anyways. At least you'll get a free estimate from one of your insurance carrier's shop. That would be a good idea. Without reading your policy, and if its not an intentional act in commission of a crime the claim will most likely be covered. Don't quote me on that but any decent insurance policy would not exclude your claim unless you intentionally decided to hit the curb on purpose and file a claim.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #25
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
Not sure what type of health care insurance you have, but the wonderful morons in Congress that voted in the 'Affordable Health Care Act' (better known as Obamacare) have screwed the American public WAY worse than a $2500 deductible.

Unless you are rich and can afford their top of the line premium which lowers your deductible, then you have to choose what your income can afford. One of the cheaper plans (without a government subsidy, which is what the poor people get, gov't help) then here is what one of the plans is: $122.25 a month ($1,467 a year) with...........you'll love this.........an $8,500 deductible. Yeah, $8,500 deductible. If you don't take the Obamacare and don't have other private coverage, you can be fined $695 a year (and up) for not having it. Now, if you ask me, I rather have to pay the f'ing penalty than $122.25 and month and have an $8,500 deductible, which unless you have some type of really bad accident, you're basically paying the government to insure poor people. Uh huh, yeah you are.

Why the American public isn't beating down every Congressman's door who voted for this piece of crap plan is a damn shame...............

So, if you think a $2,500 deductible is outrageous, just think about all the Americans taking it in the backdoor for Obamacare.

That is health insurance.... not car insurance. Obamacare is generally hated, but that is another topic. I had no idea people even had deductibles higher than 1,000 regularly until I bought an 86 and 2,000 seems almost normal on this board.

Guess the kids have to keep their premiums down somehow lol. Trashing these cars help nobody though.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #26
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzy79 View Post
I live in another country and not a mechanic, so not sure how good this advice is, but my 2c would be:
  • You were drifting/attempting to. Forget insurance if it's just a few parts that need fixing. If the subframe is damaged then insurance may be a good idea, however I expect they will f**k you over with increased premiums.
  • Go to another car shop, dealerships tend to be more expensive.
  • If you are paying for the repairs out of your own pocket, look at aftermarket LCA's, bushings etc if you can afford it. Great time to upgrade!

If you are strapped for cash, try find a wrecker with a damaged BRZ/FRS and get them to take the front LCA arms off. You don't need brand new replacements provided the donor car has an undamaged front half. Maybe even flood/water damaged would be OK? This would get you all the bushings as well so cost could be minimal.

If you have the tools and are confident/have a friend who can help, replacing the front arms yourself wouldn't be impossible either.

Fixing the subframe would be best left to professionals.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:55 PM   #27
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post

Health care is a bit different... there's co-pays for more typical health issues (doctors visits for example) that are much lower. The "deductible" for health care is better viewed as a "out-of-pocket maximum" and is considered for the entire year of coverage, so in a year you won't spend more than your "deductible." Whereas with car insurance, deductibles are charged every time you file a claim, there's no yearly maximum. Plus, single surgeries can easily cost more than what our cars are worth brand new lol.

2,500 is pretty nuts for car insurance though o_o wtf. For that price, I agree, avoid insurance claim, eat the $100 and just go to a specialty shop if you're worried about the dealership prices.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:20 AM   #28
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
And I thought my insurance deductible was too high at $500......but $2500?! I would get better insurance. I have been contemplating going to no deductible.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote