follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tuning / Exhaust guidance required

Hi guys!

I'm looking for some local guidance on tuning my 2015 GTS. Firstly, my car is mostly street driven with the occasional rally and track day. I'm keen to unlock some of the mid range torque that is available with a tune and exhaust mods. I am not at all interested in a HP figure, I'd just like to fill out the torque curve in the mid range to improve driveability. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to E85, so ethanol tunes or flex fuel is out.

Also, I want to keep my car sounding as stock as possible. I know I'm not impressing anyone when I make lots of noise, and so prefer the stealth approach to my hooning. I'm not interested in fitting a catback at all unless it is necessary to keep the noise down, or if the catless header on it's own sounds bad with the stock exhaust.

So far I'm leaning towards an OFT and catless header of some type, but don't know what to expect on the noise front with any combination. I don't know anyone with an 86 so it's hard to find what I like.

Can the collective wisdom offer some advise on whether or not I'm on the right track for performance mods, and some specific parts to look at. I have no budget in mind. I know headers can be had for between $500 and $2k, and an oft for about $750 delivered. I'm cool with products in that range.

TLDR:

Can anyone offer advice on a tune / exhaust combination that will flatten out the torque curve while staying stealthy.

Subsonic
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I would say Gruppe-S UEL and OFT is your best bet. Everything else stock. With any headers there is always a noise increase, but if you keep the overpipe/front pipe/catback stock, the increase will be mostly minimal and only apparent when you really step on it.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #3
Navyskies

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd say go with the aussie classic.

PSR UEL headers, which come with a free overpipe, and get the car tuned by a local professional tuner.

Can't go wrong with that.

Edit: If you ever wanted a catback, Invidia Q300 or a Kakimoto Regu 06&R are very quiet/mild catbacks with nice tone.

Last edited by Navyskies; 05-09-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Navyskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks guys for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyskies View Post
I'd say go with the aussie classic.

PSR UEL headers, which come with a free overpipe, and get the car tuned by a local professional tuner.

Can't go wrong with that.

Edit: If you ever wanted a catback, Invidia Q300 or a Kakimoto Regu 06&R are very quiet/mild catbacks with nice tone.
The PSR UEL and Gruppe-s look identical and from what I've read probably originate in the same factory. At least we're consistent though!

Regarding tuning, can anyone recommend a tuner local to Sydney north shore? Interesting point about recommending a shop to tune the car, I thought OFT or similar would be an effective, easy and cost effective solution to give me a tune that is pretty common. Do you think there is any benefit to having a custom tune done?

Regarding a catback, I really don't want to change the rest of the exhaust unless I need to. Opinions on what a UEL header and stock exhaust sounds like would be nice to read. I really need to see one though in person I think, as I'm worried I might not like it.

Subsonic
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81493
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (06-08-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
vinhdt

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i have OFT tune and PSR header + overpipe.
It has a nice rumble when i start it up in the morning.

Once the engine has warmed up it sounds like stock.
vinhdt is offline   Reply With Quote