follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I did it for science but now I have cancer.
Ultramaroon (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #30
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drive with the rear seat down.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #31
Jasonb

Drives: 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm using a catless JDL UEL header with an otherwise stock exhaust and I think it sounds good. Louder on cold start, and when you're getting on it, but when just cruising it isn't much louder than stock. I think it gives the otherwise stock exhaust a nice tone, and a nice subtle rumble. With a stage 2+ OFT tune it definitely added more HP and torque, and basically eliminated the torque dip. Not sure if I'll do a catback or not later on, but for now I'm happy.
Jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:00 AM   #32
Harvir

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I would look into nameless exhaust set ups. Those get loud and are not too expensive. https://shop.namelessperformance.com...haust-brz-frs/

Sorry but I couldn't help it but

But I forgive you if English isn't your first language.
English isn’t my first language lol
Harvir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harvir For This Useful Post:
JSube (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #33
Harvir

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
What are your actual goals, usage habits, and intent with your car?

If you want to add power either now or later, you need to consider a header. That's where the majority of the performance gains with this car come from until you're boosting it, or swapping a different motor in.

A catless header alone will gain a bunch of power and add a decent amount of volume, but the stock exhaust sounds pretty awful with it. If you can hear a catless header with a mild catback like the Invidia Q300, or GReddy Supreme SP you can get an idea of what a typical aftermarket setup on this car sounds like.

If you want it louder than that, get a louder catback. Invidia N1 and Tomei 80R are super loud examples, Perrin, MXP SP and Dezod are good examples of the catbacks that fill in the gap.

If you make a conservative choice with catback volume and you have a header and catback, and want it to be a bit louder, you can grab a front pipe. Getting a catless one will be much louder, but if it has a high flow cat, a resonator, (or two/both,) it will split the difference.

Edit: Nameless catback, 2.5" inlet with 5" mufflers is $650, and a JDL UEL Header is $750.

If you start there, you'll enjoy a bunch of extra volume, and still be able to add more with the front pipe if you see fit.
Intelligent part selection will help you gain power, lose weight, and tune the sound you want quite a bit.

Also keep in mind when you do a header you need to accommodate for tuning. You can have a local flash an OFT map on your ECU for likely $20 or a 6 pack.
My goals with the car is to make it loud and fast
Harvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:25 AM   #34
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvir View Post

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #35
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Well then order up the JDL turbo kit and a Tomei 80r, and catless front pipe.

The turbo gets the fast side of things sorted out, but turbos do muffle a lot of the exhaust noise so you're free to get a more wild catback.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #36
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
English isn’t my first language lol
@DandoX .........

English is NOT his first language .......can't YOU read ...... he's from Vancouver ........ his first language is either Canadian or Vantuckyian......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
DandoX (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 03:12 AM   #37
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I want to make the car louder it sounds to quiet
In case you haven't googled for yourself, headers are the pieces of piping that collect exhaust gas from the engine. They are the first bit of exhaust piping and as such play a big part in how the engine behaves. For this car you can get equal length (EL) and unequal length (UEL) headers with or without catalytic converters (cats).

Generally speaking, EL headers make more hp and maybe torque, but this occurs close to redline. UEL headers will give you a bump in torque in the middle of the rpm range, making them a great option for daily driven cars. Some people also enjoy the unique noise UEL headers make due to exhaust pulses colliding.

Cats convert uncombusted fuel to CO2 and H2O. This is good for emissions and the planet, as the carbon-hydrogen bonds in reduced organic molecules do a great job turning our planet's atmosphere into a greenhouse (the oxygen-hydrogen bonds in water do as well, making water vapor a potent greenhouse gas, though seeing as our planet is ~72% covered in water there is nothing to be done about that). Molecules such as methane, ethane, propane, and butane are potent greenhouse gases that are largely eliminated from vehicle exhaust thanks to cats.

However, cats also restrict airflow, lowering the rate at which air can flow through the intake, engine and exhaust. This means that the presence of cats lowers maximum potential power output, which is why racecars tend not to have them and why some car enthusiasts delete them from their exhaust. Many aftermarket exhaust bits - headers included - have catted and catless versions with the catted versions being high flow cats, providing a middle ground between restrictive oem cats and a catless setup.

Hopefully you are now better informed about headers

ffs I meant to quote this "What are headers, if they are something i can add later on i might," but I replied to you anyways
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote