follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
Firecruiser

Drives: 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's definitely doable with just removing the clips on the bottom of the number cover so you can push it away some. If your looking for one that flashes @LED86 has a fourth brake light that pulses when you press the brakes. Still requires running a wire up through the bumper and tapping into the tail light wires. It's only 3 wires and pretty simple. And with the one they sell you don't need to modify the wiring in the light.
Firecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:47 AM   #16
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by B$ View Post
Well gee, I wish I could do that. Wiring and so forth is not my forte...

I thought there was a PLUG AND PLAY kit that did that out there...if anyone knows the name and can link me, I'd appreciate it!

Been looking for awhile for a "3rd/4th" brake light kit...besides Valenti n etc.

Its easy to get the pieces yourself and do this. I made my own kit and harness. Had an extra 1157 red led bulb from autozone laying around that I got a while ago, you can also use a 3157 bulb and socket. So ordered an 1157 dual circuit socket and a pulse module (this is optional) from SuperBrightLEDs. So at the least, its a dual circuit bulb, the socket for that bulb, wiring, and connectors.

To hook it up you run three wires from the reverse light to the taillight area; one for negative, one for the brake light, and the third for parking brake (there is a lot of instructions on the web on where to run the wire, where to hook up the wires, and what connectors to use).

The easiest is to take the reverse light assembly out and work on it. I have taken it out with the stock muffler on you just have to flex the bumper and shimmy it out of there. Drill a hole for your new socket, there is a flat circle, using a 1" hole saw. File down the tabs on the socket and test fitment, do this over and over till it fits nice and snug; you may not need to file the tabs down all the way. Then use some silicone to seal it up. Hook up the wires and test to see if your new lights work. Then secure the wire to the exciting wires with some wire ties, clean up and your done.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
No such kit exists sadly.

Valentis pulse when you hit the brakes, but the V doesnt stay on as a running light at night without modification and no matter what you have to tap at least the brake wire on your tail lights.

EDIT: if you're afraid of screwing up the stock wiring, check my DIY to make your own harness: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114591
If you make that harness and splice the wires from the 4th brake light to it, it becomes "plug and play" when you actually install it on the car. IMO the hardest part is just getting the light in place and fishing the wiring around the rear bumper.

I was able to do my 4th brake light without a lift or removing the exhaust, but I have the dual canister style exhaust. Not the stock type with a big muffler in the middle. With that said, if you can fit your hand between the gap with a wrench, you can do this without removing the muffler.
There is a guy that makes a REAL PnP solution...

http://swiftmedia.bigcartel.com/prod...r-s-subaru-brz

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQuVPyEciv0"]Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ Plug and Play 4th Brake Light Kit - YouTube[/ame]
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #18
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post

Cant tell if its actually plug and play based on either the video or the site lol. Its not hard to do, I'm just not aware of any kit that comes with a plug and play harness.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Cant tell if its actually plug and play based on either the video or the site lol. Its not hard to do, I'm just not aware of any kit that comes with a plug and play harness.
It is 100% plug and play... I remember when he made his sale posts on the Facebook enthusiasts page. He uses OEM connectors and everything.
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I believe iJDMToy has a regular and strobe kit. I chose regular because I didn't like the strobe pattern (5 fast, 5 slow, constant).

The hole saw is in fact smaller than the supplied socket. Some people shaved material off the "square" socket. I chose to dremel the hole bigger and made slots, so the socket can be inserted and twist-locked just like a regular bulb socket. It fits very tight with the supplied o-ring and requires no gasket maker at all.

My BRZ has power trunk, so I ran the 4th brake light wiring through the same grommet, and applied some gasket maker to ensure good seal.

Last tip I have is for splicing the wires into the taillight harness - not necessary. I was starting to unwrap the stock electrical tape to make room for the supplied splice connectors, when I realized there's enough room to simply insert the wire into the OEM connector from the rear. IIRC, red to red, black to black, blue to green. Hot glued them so they stay in place, followed by electric tape.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:37 PM   #21
KayC

Drives: 2013 whiteout FRS 6mt
True PnP kit with Harnesses from nsidiusindustries

http://www.nsidiusindustries.com/pro...t-wire-harness
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #22
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC View Post

Or just make your own harness for $20 and 1 hour of your time :P
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 PM   #23
B$

Drives: Monogram Whiteout
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post

Afraid of the lack of instructions and non-responses the YT video has. But pretty much what I am looking for. Did you purchase this and install?

I want that light to be lit when my headlights are on, and do the pulsing when I hit the breaks...
B$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #24
B$

Drives: Monogram Whiteout
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Will look into this. thank you
B$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #25
NSIDIUS_Industries

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:

Yes, our kits are plug and play and will require no splicing into factory wires. You will simply have to modify where the bulb will go on your rear reflector with a step drill. Full instructions are available on our website for those who wanna look into what it takes to do this mod. Message me if you have any questions.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #26
SkyeHack

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just connected my 4th brake light. My 4th brake light turns on when I turn my car on. However, when I hit the brakes the 4th brake light completely turns off until I let go of the brake. Can someone let me know what I messed up on please?