follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUKUSA View Post
........... And the reason why I didn't want to attend a meet was because I didn't want to embarrass myself......
Well, I've found out over the past 70 years, that it's difficult to embarrass yourself if you ask the "right kind" of questions.

For example "how do you like your _____ (modification). The modifier will usually tell you all about it (including how it benifits (whatever), how hard it was to install, maybe how much it costs .... things like that. Of course you should always act impressed ..... (that don't mean you have to go out and buy one of them ..... )!

Also, do less talking and more listening ...... there is good chance you will fit right in ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Anthony (10-13-2013), Porsche (10-16-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
cool thing about our cars is that theyre still appealiing stock, its not like your bringing your stock civic.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muskokan For This Useful Post:
BlueDubbinTDI (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Diffuser (?) still don't know what it does, but everyone is telling me to get one.
There's all sorts of designs for all sorts of cars, but so far there's only a handful for our car (only one that I know of, actually). So I'm not going to talk about any specific one for any specific car, but a diffuser is an aerodynamic piece that goes underneath your car in the back. They generally go from the rear axle to a few inches behind the car. They're typically flat, parallel with ground, until they get to the back, at which point they curve (or angle if they're cheap) upwards. They have strategically placed vertical fins called strakes.

The purpose of a diffuser is to reduce turbulence underneath the car and to change the volume, velocity, and density of the air as the car passes through it. A well designed one will work in sync with a corresponding spoiler wing to create an incredible amount of downforce, keeping the car glued to the ground. I don't fully understand them, but from what I do understand, they're an absolutely beautiful work of engineering technology.

But of course, as with all cutting edge technology in the world of aerodynamics, with innovation comes superficial imitation. Just like with most wings you can buy for most cars, most diffusers don't actually do anything but try to look cool. In the world of modifying Asian-branded cars, we have a term for this.

However, if you're going with a single exit exhaust on your FR-S or BRZ, which I'm almost certain you won't if you're already trying to go 4x as much, then the lack of muffler turns an FR-S/BRZ rear bumper into a parachute. So even an otherwise nonfunctional diffuser is a great idea in that case, because it at least keeps most of the air down low so it can escape.

Quote:
I also heard that turning on stick is amazing, like how you can feel it.
You lost me.

Quote:
Hopefully I can go to a FRS meet up, but too afraid since my car is like stock.
Best response ever:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, I've found out over the past 70 years, that it's difficult to embarrass yourself if you ask the "right kind" of questions.

For example "how do you like your _____ (modification). The modifier will usually tell you all about it (including how it benifits (whatever), how hard it was to install, maybe how much it costs .... things like that. Of course you should always act impressed ..... (that don't mean you have to go out and buy one of them ..... )!

Also, do less talking and more listening ...... there is good chance you will fit right in ....

humfrz
This is all the more reason why you should go to a car meet. I'm 100% confident that the most knowledgeable expert at any car meet you can find was not born with all that knowledge. Which means every single person there that knows more than you was also at your exact stage of learning at some point in the past. And because of this, they won't bite. The majority of the time, they'll be really excited to explain their car and its mods to you. Like humfrz said, do more listening than talking, and you'll be just fine.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
Snoopyalien24 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Oh, and another thing that might could help you is starting a build thread. You pretty much already have with this thread, but it's in the wrong forum for that. The correct one would be:

Member's Car Journals

Check out other peoples' cars in that section and maybe you'll get some ideas about which direction to go with yours. People get pretty creative with some of their do-it-yourself stuff. Not every mod has to be expensive. A lot are free.

EDIT: and speaking of quad tips, this guy just posted this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48977

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-13-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #19
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for all these advices. Just wanted a 4 point seatbelt for looks.

Of course. I understand; I once thought the same thing, although my main focus was on function.

Further investigation taught me that this was a poor plan, one that could seriously kill me. Painfully...

We're trying to help you learn, @KRUKUSA.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Soon we will have another Ricer FRS on our hands.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Just wanted looks that appeal to my eyes and others. I am very self conscious, which is why I care so much about what others think about me. I wish I wasn't so self conscious, but it isn't something that can be changed with words. And the reason why I didn't want to attend a meet was because I didn't want to embarrass myself. It's that sorta of feeling of wanting to fit in.
Sucks to be you, because you are NEVER going to happy with your car. Or anything else. Good luck.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Sucks to be you, because you are NEVER going to happy with your car. Or anything else. Good luck.
For heavens sake ..... where is the forum love .... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Leave the guy alone. You know NOTHING about his future potential happiness.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
husker741 (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #24
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Assumption city up in here!!!

You like little boys.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
KRUKUSA

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Of course. I understand; I once thought the same thing, although my main focus was on function.

Further investigation taught me that this was a poor plan, one that could seriously kill me. Painfully...

We're trying to help you learn, @KRUKUSA.
Thanks.
KRUKUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Just wanted looks that appeal to my eyes and others. I am very self conscious, which is why I care so much about what others think about me. I wish I wasn't so self conscious, but it isn't something that can be changed with words. And the reason why I didn't want to attend a meet was because I didn't want to embarrass myself. It's that sorta of feeling of wanting to fit in.

You're in good company, young fella. (I'm old; older than your dad!)

You're not alone. The world is filled with people who feel just as you do. Not all of them are as open and straightforward as you are.

You can hang out with me anytime.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
You're in good company, young fella. (I'm old; older than your dad!)

. . .

You can hang out with me anytime.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SloS14 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (10-17-2013), CajunFRS (10-26-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #28
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Modding a car can be very rewarding, and very frustrating. I have had many modded cars. some ran like stock, others did not run. LOL. I would set a budget and take it slow. you can always spend more...
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
ron_n_tx (11-01-2013)