follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2017, 01:08 AM   #29
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I supposed it can be used for both, but mainly while parking in tight areas.

The plan is to install an android head unit then use the wifi function of the head unit to wireless connect to the camera. As at the moment I just got a phone mount and my android phone.
FRS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #30
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS2017 View Post
I supposed it can be used for both, but mainly while parking in tight areas.

The plan is to install an android head unit then use the wifi function of the head unit to wireless connect to the camera. As at the moment I just got a phone mount and my android phone.
I kinda want to do that, except like I said on the sides for when I have to park along a curb. My wheel came within less than a centimeter from curbing a few summers ago and was super lucky to get no damage.

I think your setup will be just as easy running a wire from the cam to the radio -- I don't know why you're trying to get fancy with a wifi connection. Wired cams are dirt cheap and simple to set up.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #31
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Garage
The problem is one port will be used for the reverse camera, so not sure I how I wire it up to the head unit. The camera has a lot of interesting flexible wires that allow you to change the reverse view and enable and disable lines on the picture.

However, it has a remote wire on that I think is causing a problem for me - I think its suppose to be ideal situations as a reverse camera so when you go into reverse it turns on via remote wire. As at the moment I haven't got it to work for some reason there is no picture.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #32
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
The problem is one port will be used for the reverse camera, so not sure I how I wire it up to the head unit. The camera has a lot of interesting flexible wires that allow you to change the reverse view and enable and disable lines on the picture.

However, it has a remote wire on that I think is causing a problem for me - I think its suppose to be ideal situations as a reverse camera so when you go into reverse it turns on via remote wire. As at the moment I haven't got it to work for some reason there is no picture.
You need to figure out what voltage goes into the trigger wire. You then will need to get crafty and feed it that voltage when you want the front camera to be turned on--easiest will probably be a toggle switch. You also need to figure out how to input the video signal to your radio; I'm not sure whether your unit is built to handle auxiliary video inputs, or if you have to fool it into thinking your reverse camera is on. Either way, it's doable but you may need to use relays and/or a voltage reducer (if it needs 5V+ instead of 12V+).
Old 05-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #33
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Garage
I am going to see an electronic guru at my University who does a lot of soldering and geeky wiring I am sure he will point me in the right direction, but it seems to me that the trigger wire is the problem here or the voltage is being drained somewhere.

Here is an example of it how wired up:

Name:  Reverse Camera2.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  327.7 KB
Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #34
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
I am going to see an electronic guru at my University who does a lot of soldering and geeky wiring I am sure he will point me in the right direction, but it seems to me that the trigger wire is the problem here or the voltage is being drained somewhere.
This is relatively easy to do yourself. You just need to make sure the camera is getting the voltages that it expects. Just so you know, the OEM radio outputs only 6 volts on the camera power line and your camera requires 12 volts so if this is how you have it wired up, it will not work. You need to connect the power wires directly to a 12VDC power source and then give the trigger wire the voltage that it expects -- this voltage is not specified in the image you posted.

I was in the same boat as you when I added a reverse camera since my camera requires 12VDC. Take a look at this thread, I explain a bit how you can easily fix the issue.

Some people, and as your instructions indicate, tap into the wire that powers up the reverse lights, but I would advise against this as a power source.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #35
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Garage
I connected the wifi transmitter to the battery, it seemed to work as before my old camera. I tried to connect the new camera to the battery with a switch, so I can turn off the wifi transmitter and camera when I don't need to use it and not use power on the battery. The only wire that I did not connect was the remote wire, I didn't really know what to do with it.....I assume at the time after a lot messing around that it's why it's not working or the wifi transmitter has packed up as I can no longer reset the wifi transmitter to the factory default.

I am holding back connecting it directly to the factory head unit as I want to upgrade in future to an Android version.

I see what my Guru friend makes of it, maybe he can work his magic on the wires.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #36
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
You need the remote wire to be connected because that is what tells the camera to turn on. If you're familiar with car audio amplifiers, it's the same principle as the remote turn-on wire on the amp. While the camera has power being fed to it, it's not being 'turned on'. You should try connecting the remote wire to 6 VDC+ and see what happens.

Here's how your wires should be connected:
  • + = 12VDC +
  • - = 12VDC -
  • Back/Reverse trigger = The voltage for this wire is not specified, you should contact the vendor to confirm what this wire needs, or check your instructions. My guess is 6VDC, but it could need 12VDC. This should only get power when you want the camera to turn on
  • Camera RCA input = This should be labeled 'Camera RCA output' since it outputs the video feed from the camera. This is connected to your wifi transmitter? or directly to the radio video input
Since you're using a wifi transmitter, it would be best to allow this device to only have power when in reverse so it does not drain your battery. I can write up a wiring diagram for you, I just need a list of all wires and their respective voltage requirements.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #37
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Garage
Ah yes, the more I talk with you the more it's making sense now, yes I remember back in my younger days when I installed an amp in my older car, remote wire tells the amp when to come on when you switch the car stereo on.

I've sent an e-mail to the supplier asking for the remote voltage spec

Here is the 903 wifi transmitter spec:

https://www.amazon.com/WishRing-Back...TTSX872RV1062V
Old 05-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #38
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
@FRS2017

Based on the images, it looks like the transmitter does not have a turn on wire--when it gets power, it turns on. You will need a relay if your radio outputs 6V on the reverse wire, which you need anyway to power the camera since it also needs 12V, so this doesn't require any extra work/wiring. It's very easy to wire up, I would even do it for you if you cover the cost of parts.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #39
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Garage
I'm guessing the camera remote wire is 12volts, as it says under IMPORTANT part of the picture.

What are we talking about price here? - I have a current switch for the Wifi transmitter, so how is the remote wire going to work? - some sort of loop back to the 12volts wire or something? - As I said I am waiting till I can save up for the Joying head unit, which looks like the perfect head unit upgrade for the Toyota 86.

I appreciate the input though it's certainly clear things up
Old 05-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #40
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
I'm guessing the camera remote wire is 12volts, as it says under IMPORTANT part of the picture.

What are we talking about price here? - I have a current switch for the Wifi transmitter, so how is the remote wire going to work? - some sort of loop back to the 12volts wire or something? - As I said I am waiting till I can save up for the Joying head unit, which looks like the perfect head unit upgrade for the Toyota 86.

I appreciate the input though it's certainly clear things up
I think that Important comment is referring to the power, not remote wire.

Relay is only a few bucks, plus shipping the stuff to you.

I have a unit sold by Eonon, same family of android radios as Joying. Perfect fit and I love it. This pic is 2 years old with the first cf wrap that I did.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 05-15-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #41
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Garage
I live in Australia, I'm not sure where you are based?

Just got a reply from the supplier:

Power Supply
12V DC (3.3V IN)
Current
3.3V/60mA, 12V/120mA

Last edited by FRS2017; 05-16-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: updates
Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #42
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
I live in Australia, I'm not sure where you are based?

Just got a reply from the supplier:

Power Supply
12V DC (3.3V IN)
Current
3.3V/60mA, 12V/120mA
I'm in the USA

Power supply voltage is not what you need, you need to know what voltage goes to the trigger/turn-on wire.