follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #407
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ LTD CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cayman. Hands down!
Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #408
_sams86_
Grasshopper

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lancer Evolution
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #409
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd probably have ended up in an E46 M3. I found a nice 2004 in Ottawa with just a hair over 150000 kms for $15k that I was debating getting at the same time I was looking at a twin but the banks wouldn't lend me enough to buy it so the decision was made for me and I got the BRZ instead.

I've done some reading and I realize that I may have dodged a bullet since I understand M3s with that many KMs either need or will soon need very expensive services which is why they have depreciated so much. Still, that car didn't have a speck of rust on it, was in perfect condition body wise and seemed to run fine when I saw it. I was going to get it if anyone was willing to lend me the money but at the time, getting a loan for 15k for a 10 year old used car just wasn't going to happen.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #410
irax

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRB
if the BRZ/FRS never existed I would still own a 86 200SX v6 and it would probably have the Xterra supercharger on it.
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #411
MrsJames
So. Many. High-heels.

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I'd probably have ended up in an E46 M3. I found a nice 2004 in Ottawa with just a hair over 150000 kms for $15k that I was debating getting at the same time I was looking at a twin but the banks wouldn't lend me enough to buy it so the decision was made for me and I got the BRZ instead.

I've done some reading and I realize that I may have dodged a bullet since I understand M3s with that many KMs either need or will soon need very expensive services which is why they have depreciated so much. Still, that car didn't have a speck of rust on it, was in perfect condition body wise and seemed to run fine when I saw it. I was going to get it if anyone was willing to lend me the money but at the time, getting a loan for 15k for a 10 year old used car just wasn't going to happen.
Well,

when you consider what the car does, with its weight, and the engine it has... the level of service is really understandable. Remember, this was the basic coupe that could take on a Ferrari 360...and win. The CSL was not that much faster than the normal one we got in North America.

Now, if you get one, its as simple as a rod bearing refresh, a vanos rebuild, valve adjustment, repair the pump disk, swap out the exhaust hub (in the vanos unit) for one that has been cryogenically treated. Yes this is expensive, but again, when you find a car that is the same age, weight, and offers as much performance as an M3 coupe...let me know! Nothing else on the market comes close to the way the M3 goes about its business. I never understood it myself until I took my E46 on the track... it is easy. Far too easy to be healthy.

For comparison sake, the only other car that is more rewarding to drive on the track has been my FR-S, but at half the price(new) and with a far lower level of day-in day-out user comfort. People who do not understand the M3 will always knock on it. People who do understand it become hopelessly hooked. From the M3 the only other options are P-Cars. Those are NOT cheap - and you can not sit 4 adults in one.
MrsJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsJames For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #412
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJames View Post
Well,

when you consider what the car does, with its weight, and the engine it has... the level of service is really understandable. Remember, this was the basic coupe that could take on a Ferrari 360...and win. The CSL was not that much faster than the normal one we got in North America.

Now, if you get one, its as simple as a rod bearing refresh, a vanos rebuild, valve adjustment, repair the pump disk, swap out the exhaust hub (in the vanos unit) for one that has been cryogenically treated. Yes this is expensive, but again, when you find a car that is the same age, weight, and offers as much performance as an M3 coupe...let me know! Nothing else on the market comes close to the way the M3 goes about its business. I never understood it myself until I took my E46 on the track... it is easy. Far too easy to be healthy.

For comparison sake, the only other car that is more rewarding to drive on the track has been my FR-S, but at half the price(new) and with a far lower level of day-in day-out user comfort. People who do not understand the M3 will always knock on it. People who do understand it become hopelessly hooked. From the M3 the only other options are P-Cars. Those are NOT cheap - and you can not sit 4 adults in one.
Definitely not saying it isn't worth it, I'm just not sure I could afford long term ownership of a high mileage BMW.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #413
Mattstermh

Drives: '13 FR-S A/T - Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
e46 330xi
Mattstermh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #414
lizbrayan

Drives: '15 Scion Frs Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Either a used rx7 or rx8. Maybe even saved up a little more,tooken out a loan and gotten a 1990 r23 gtr. But things happen for a reason (:
lizbrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:10 AM   #415
psybre

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I think back in 2011 or so I was considering:
  • Fiat 500 Abarth
  • Mini Cooper
  • 4th Gen Eclipse
  • Ford Fiesta
  • Golf/GTI
  • used 350z
  • probably a Honda Civic too, since at the time I owned a 94 accord

I hadn't driven stick outside of a couple times in a janky 60's truck, so I was probably going to do auto. And I hate big cars, so no Mustang or Challenger.

I loved the looks of the RX-8, but figured I would be bad at maintaining it.
I loved the 90's 300ZX (especially in dark grey) but finding a nice one seemed really tough.
3rd gen MR2 was on the list as well, but stick shift and convertible kept me away.

In the end? I didn't test drive any of those. I just did one test drive in the FR-S with an automatic at the SF auto show in 2012, and went straight to my dealer when the Accord died in early 2013 and asked for an FR-S, Hot Lava, No Add-ons, Manual. Very Happy.

If it never existed?

I would probably have test-driven the Mini, the 500, maybe a Fiesta. I would've gone with something a bit more practical, automatic.

With my knowledge now I would shout at myself to get something cool like an RX-7, or an E36 coupe. At the very least the RX-8.
psybre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #416
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJames View Post
One of my friends I track with has a supercharged E46 M3 making ~500 whp. Gorgeous car (brembos, forged wheels, kw suspension, nt05 tires). Last weekend he threw me the keys and said let's go for a drive. The power was great but if I'm being honest, the handling did feel slightly disconnected or dull compared with the FR-S/BRZ. Didn't have the sharpness or feedback that our cars have.

Still I could see why so many people love that generation of M3. It's in that sweet spot of being capable on the track, but at the same time very comfortable and refined to drive on the street (and somewhat practical with rear seats). Personally if I had to choose among the M3 generations I'd probably lean more towards a lighter and smaller E36 sedan, but they're all fantastic.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (07-28-2016), Yoshoobaroo (08-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #417
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbrayan View Post
Either a used rx7 or rx8. Maybe even saved up a little more,tooken out a loan and gotten a 1990 r23 gtr. But things happen for a reason (:
-Just as long as you know they're probably on there third of forth engine haha. And you don't mind putting in the fifth.

-Where is this "R23" you speak of?
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #418
lizbrayan

Drives: '15 Scion Frs Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
-Just as long as you know they're probably on there third of forth engine haha. And you don't mind putting in the fifth.

-Where is this "R23" you speak of?
Theres a couple import dealer in virgina and florida

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk
lizbrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #419
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbrayan View Post