follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For street use on max performance summer tires, I really liked the following setup:

- Pads: Stoptech street performance
- Fluid: ATE Type 200
- Rotors: stock

Nice firm pedal. Pretty good bite. Minimal dusting. Very little squeal, if any.

Definitely enough for backroad and canyons, and even some light track use. I think it's a great value for the price honestly.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
For pads on pure street car, I'd go with a Carbotech AX6, Winmax W2, Project mU HC800+ or Ferodo DS2500. They're all better than stock, but not noisy like a full track pad.

Fluid, anything is better than stock really. Castrol SRF is really nice, but it's hugely overkill for a street car and it's really expensive ($90 cdn/liter compared to like $30 cdn/liter for other fluids). If you're not boiling lower temp fluid, then you don't *need* something super high temp like SRF.
Project Mu HC+800 are not what he wants. While awesome pads the squel and dust like crazy. They are more comparable to a Winmax W4 or Carbotech XP8 then the other you listed

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #17
UNREAL

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86 GT (Auto)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
First I agree tires and pads are the first thing you should do. That being said, the logic behind doing only the front brakes it physics. (look at the rear brakes and they are quite large and actually do their job well).

But anyways when you apply the brakes the momentum and weight of the car shift forward. This means there is a much greater force/traction put on the front tires during medium/hard braking. Meaning the front tires and brakes actually do a whole lot more work in stopping your car than the rear do. (all the weight is in the front and the momentum applies even more pressure to the front when braking so it is only logical that the load is far superior on the front brakes and they therefore benefit the most from bigger/better brakes).

Also from a physics standpoint, a stronger braking force in the front should (on paper) induce a bit of oversteer (in certain situations) and I assume that if you bought this car then you must love oversteer like I do

My post may not be 100% accurate as my (college level) physics studies are very far away and my mechanical knowledge/know-how is average/decent at best.
I respect physics people My dad has a PhD. in Physics
I like how did you explain the importance of the Front brake specially in front engine cars...
But for now I think I'll stick with the plan adv ised by the majority of you guys, Sticky Tires + Streets Performance Pads + Better Fluid

Many thanks for your reply and contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Few responds in bold
Noted With many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I have the Winmax W5 pads and Torque RT700 fluid. I am on the stock brake rotors and I track my car. the W5 pads are more of a track pad and are kind of noisy when you use partial brake pressure on the street. though, that problem might be with me not fully bedding in the brakes on the street due to my laziness lol. however, I work them good on my first session on track days to make sure they are bedded in. I have not experienced any brake fade at all, actually, with my stock rotors and upgraded pads, lines, and fluid under track driving.

for street driving and spirited use, I would say the Winmax W2 or W3 are good solutions. I am recommending Winmax since they are the only aftermarket pad I have used so far, but other people might recommend a different brand. I don't have any experience with other brands so I cannot recommend any aside from Winmax. as for fluid, either RBF600 or the RT700 are good. I have used RBF600 on my previous car, but not my BRZ, but to be honest, I cannot see any noticeable difference between the two. the RT700 has a higher boiling point than the RBF600 so on paper it is better, but in the real world (and especially on the street), I cannot find a difference.
Many thanks for the elaborated advice, notes taken into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Unreal: for mostly street i'd probably would go for Ferrordo DS2500 pads
Fumanchu1: rears are as large because they need to fit around parking brake, not because they need that size for effective braking.
Thanks for your reply and advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
For DD Wibmax W2 will be an upgrade without the squel of a W3 or comparable pad with a slight increase over oem. Motul RBF600 should be sufficient for fluid. OEM rotors are totally fine for spirited driving. SS lines help with feel slightly but not improve stopping power or anything.

I like Project Mu also so maybe their Bforce pads but I have no experiance and havent seen any reviews on them
Thanks for your reply and products recommendations
I'll look up the Wibmax W2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
For pads on pure street car, I'd go with a Carbotech AX6, Winmax W2, Project mU HC800+ or Ferodo DS2500. They're all better than stock, but not noisy like a full track pad.

Fluid, anything is better than stock really. Castrol SRF is really nice, but it's hugely overkill for a street car and it's really expensive ($90 cdn/liter compared to like $30 cdn/liter for other fluids). If you're not boiling lower temp fluid, then you don't *need* something super high temp like SRF.
Thanks for participating in my thread, and for the detailed recommendation. for the fluid I'll consider Castrol, I respect that brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
For street use on max performance summer tires, I really liked the following setup:

Definitely enough for backroad and canyons, and even some light track use. I think it's a great value for the price honestly.
I love your organized advice and recommendation

I'll most likely go with:

1- Tires: Goodyear Max Summer Tires
2- Pads: Stoptech street performance
3- Fluid: Castrol SRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Project Mu HC+800 are not what he wants. While awesome pads the squel and dust like crazy. They are more comparable to a Winmax W4 or Carbotech XP8 then the other you listed
Thanks for the valuable feedback, I definitely don't want a dusty/squeaky pads

Appreciate all your kind feedback, I think more or less my question is answered, and I have a clear upgrade plan, many thanks to everyone who took the time to share their knowledge and experience
UNREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Anytime
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNREAL View Post
Thanks for your reply and products recommendations
I'll look up the Wibmax W2
orry, I'm sure you'd figure(d) it out but that's supposed to be Winmax

Damn typos lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-28-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #20
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post

I'd second the Stoptech pads for street use. Slightly dustier than stock, more stopping power than stock, no noise, and a very good value. I've heard very good things about Winmax W2 for street use as well, but Stoptech price is hard to beat.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-28-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #21
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
UNREAL,
Have you read my brake upgrade guide? It goes into a lot of the why's behind others' recommendations in this thread.
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #22
UNREAL

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86 GT (Auto)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
UNREAL,
Have you read my brake upgrade guide? It goes into a lot of the why's behind others' recommendations in this thread.

I just saw your reply now, went to your post, and Wow, very informative and well organized post...

Many thanks for your help
UNREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UNREAL For This Useful Post:
JRitt (12-15-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #23
sprintamx

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm late to the game, again . . .

If you haven't already started purchasing your braking "upgrades", consider this:

Higher temp capacity brake fluid will NOT improve typical street braking, even when we're talking about hooliganism. If you need more heat capacity because you have been boiling fluid in your braking situations, then, sure, replace the fluid with something "better." But, unless you have experienced marked brake fade (soft pedal, pedal goes to the floor under heavy braking) it's unlikely that you have boiled your fluid. If my thinking about your particular needs is correct here, then you don't NEED to replace the fluid. Also, replacing your brake lines will not improve braking under street conditions.

Having said all of that, I do highly recommend bleeding the brakes to maximize function and firmness, and that can certainly suggest simply flushing the system with new stock (or any DOT 3/4) fluid to start fresh, and ensure maximum fluid capabilities by eliminating air / dirt in the system. If you just bleed, any decent DOT spec fluid will do (heck, I like Ford Motorcraft fluid for such an application). If you want to flush the whole system and start fresh, there's no problem with staying with a stock/street fluid if you haven't boiled your fluid. But, if you want to, by all means upgrade to something with higher heat capacity.

SRF and Torque are $$$, but they work great under extreme conditions. Motul RBF is also an excellent fluid, albeit with a lower boiling point (it's also 1/2 the price of the other two). I've raced with all of the fluids, and they all work great.

I'm a personal fan of the Ferodo DS2500 for this application, and I even enjoy them on the track (lapping days, NOT racing). Other pads mentioned are good choices too.

Check out Michelin PSS as a tire option. Since I don't think you're worrying about heat cycling and vulcanizing from track or autocross duty, I think the Michelin is an excellent high grip street choice. Other choices mentioned will work fine also, and pricing may be a factor where you live. Also, if your braking difficulties are related to a lot of sand or grit on the roads, no high performance street tire will be a magic solution to that issue, but they'll help.

Finally, if you'd like to swap out rotors (just because, or its time to replace anyway), take note that Centric makes some nice "performance" options in the stock sizes with slotted and high-carbon options; all available around $50.00 per rotor (in the US at least).

Hope all of this helps.
sprintamx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprintamx For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (01-02-2017)
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #24
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Unreal: for mostly street i'd probably would go for Ferrordo DS2500 pads
Fumanchu1: rears are as large because they need to fit around parking brake, not because they need that size for effective braking.
Good to know and makes a lot of sense. The physics aspect of braking still stands though, bigger brakes in front are more beneficial due to the momentum/weight being all up front during braking.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote