follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TWM shifter problem

I was having trouble getting into reverse again... Open up the console and see this. =(Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1428436147320.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  159.5 KB
Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
aznatama

Follow up:

So the screw holding on the two pieces on the left basically fell out. For better or worse, the screw made its way into the gap for the ball joint, causing a VERY dangerous condition called "getting stuck in gear."

This reminds me of the 2 times I literally got stuck in 2nd gear merging onto a freeway. Good thing both times it was in little to no traffic. At first I though my gearbox had gone to shit, but now I realize that it was this little bolt's fault.

I cleaned up everything, checked the threads, used some loctite, and put is all back together. However, I now have problems getting into reverse, again. The "I can't get into reverse" problem has appeared. This is really frustrating... to rehash the problem I had earlier...

the shifter stop plate is adjusted as far right as it can go, allowing for smooth and proper 1st geat engagement. if I move it to the left, then it won't go into 1st properly, but rather, it'll seemingly hit the "shelf" between reverse and first, so I have to install the plate as far right as possible. However, when the lockout is lifted and moved to the left to get into reverse, it doesn't seem to move far enough to the left. It'll hit the "shelf" and refuse to go into reverse. I have to muscle the shifter further to the left, basically flexing the entire shift carriage to get it to move over enough to get it into reverse. Feels like the "bump" on the shifter itself is too small. Moving the lockout plate to the left and increasing the size of the "bump" would solve this problem.

Any suggestions to get this thing to work correctly? @TWMPerformance
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
This is the best made unit on the market and I really hope that they shed some light on solving your problem. My experience with TWM Performance is that they can be slow to respond to e-mail, but really try to make you happy when you reach them on the phone. They also seem to value their reputation on this forum (I told them I was active on this forum when I purchased my short throw shifter from them, and they took notice), so I suggest calling them and telling them to publicly reply to this thread to put all of their customers' minds at ease.

It's a really well made unit and it's important that we all better understand the problem, and solution, to your issue.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
TWMPerformance
Banned

Drives: Manual Transmission, All the Way!
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I think your best bet is to completely take the shifter out and re-install it following our instructions as closely as possible. If you still encounter the same issue, please let us know. We want to ensure that this situation gets fixed so you can be plowing through those gears again!

Sincerely,

Renato
Team TWM Performance
TWMPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TWMPerformance For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
aznatama

Cleaned and reinstalled it already. The only problem is the reverse engagement. Shifting the lockout plate to the left may solve this, but then I'm worried about proper first gear engagement.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
TWMPerformance
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
Cleaned and reinstalled it already. The only problem is the reverse engagement. Shifting the lockout plate to the left may solve this, but then I'm worried about proper first gear engagement.
It only takes a small amount of adjustment to perfect the 1st/reverse gear engagement. Slide it left very slightly and see if the problem persists. Keep us posted.

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old 04-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
ohnoitsthefuzz

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6 Speed Raven Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I went back to stock from my TWM shifter. I First, the shift unit itself, loosened on my way home from a 250 mile round trip drive. The shifter was literally splitting in two at the base and luckily didn't give all the way out until I turned onto my street at which point I was stuck in second gear. Pulled everything apart to find out the lock ring had loosened. Fixed everything up and about 50 miles later a god awful rattling. I was done with it and just put the stocker back in. Still have it sitting in the garage.

In TWMs defense, I bought it used from a guy who said he had it on his BRZ for approx. 4k miles and was selling it because he was trading the car in. Didn't attempt to contact because I bought it second hand. Still paid what I would have paid for the Kartboy and was a little disappointed.
ohnoitsthefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
TWMPerformance
Banned

That's sad to hear. We really want you to enjoy going through the gears, the TWM Performance way. If there's anything we can do to make it right, we will. Try and get a hold of the person you bought it from so he/she can send it in for repair under our lifetime warranty.

Best regards,

Renato
Team TWM Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsthefuzz View Post
I went back to stock from my TWM shifter. I First, the shift unit itself, loosened on my way home from a 250 mile round trip drive. The shifter was literally splitting in two at the base and luckily didn't give all the way out until I turned onto my street at which point I was stuck in second gear. Pulled everything apart to find out the lock ring had loosened. Fixed everything up and about 50 miles later a god awful rattling. I was done with it and just put the stocker back in. Still have it sitting in the garage.

In TWMs defense, I bought it used from a guy who said he had it on his BRZ for approx. 4k miles and was selling it because he was trading the car in. Didn't attempt to contact because I bought it second hand. Still paid what I would have paid for the Kartboy and was a little disappointed.