follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #29
Reflections

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heero View Post
Near Brampton :/

1 accident + no driving record + primary driver = facility lol
I feel your pain... I tried to get a quote by myself without my parents on the insurance and they wanted $720/month for a Civic Si. It was $530/month for the CRV. No tickets, driving school and other discounts applied... Thankfully my parents are fine with having me on their insurance.
Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reflections For This Useful Post:
Heero (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #30
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (06-23-2012), feedbag (06-24-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #31
FoolCyclist

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee358 View Post
I actually make around 1500 a month during the school year and 2400 a month when im not in school overtime is wonderful.... Im pretty sure thats more then enough to be comfortable with this car... But its not all about being able to buy it and be comfortable its about seeing what other people did when they were my age and how they are living now years later. (snob)
When I was in college I had a full ride for tuition and books. I worked about 20 hours a week. Made about 2k per month. In the summer I fought wildfires and could make 15-20k. I paid my own rent, insurance, food, etc. I drove an '87 Accord that I paid $4000 cash for. There would have been no way in hell I could have afforded a $30,000 car.

In med school I bought a slightly used Focus and paid it off in 2 years. That car was $11,000. Even during residency when I was getting paid over $40,000 a year I would not have been able to afford a $30,000 car.

Now, after I have paid my dues, I am a physician and can afford a $30,000 sports car, so I bought one.

Seriously consider moving out of your parents place, buy your own food, clothes, toys, etc. Start paying your own insurance, rent, bills, etc. If you plan on moving out any time in the next 5 years you cant afford this car. There will be others. There will be used ones in a year to buy. There will be lots of competitors very soon. Buy something you can pay cash for until you are done with school and supporting yourself 100%.
FoolCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #32
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.
Couldn't have hardly better said it than anywhere ever tried before, ever!
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #33
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
As someone with a pretty comfortable family financial situation, 19 yo college student, hell to the no. My parents could definitely buy me a *very* nice car if they wanted, but they didn't. I don't really bring in much income (I prefer to overload myself with coursework), but I am one of those conservative people who doesn't think you should spend more than maybe 1/2 of your disposable income on one thing a year (disposable income needs to be saved/invested :P).

I have wanted a car so badly since 10th grade, because public transport is non-existent in most of the SF Bay and what public transport there is, is completely useless. After getting 2 bikes stolen, 2 rear wheels destroyed by retarded drivers (bike wheels cost a lot to replace!), almost being thrown into traffic by a caught chain, only about 100 scars on my legs, and many many bad memories of breathing diesel exhaust, getting thorny things caught in my eyes every other day, and being completely soaked in the rain, biking is something I hope to get away from for a long time. Not to mention I was one of the only seniors who biked to school. Anyways, to cut to the important part, I've personally decided that I will only buy a new car when I get a full time, high paying job, or somehow have income equivalent to that. For now, the train, walking, and zipcar and whatever will do. If I go to grad school, I'll get a used car since I won't be raking in much money then either.

The less financial stress you have at this age the better. Money will come much easier very soon, and it's not like you'll be an old prune by then and not be able to enjoy it. In college there's not much of a use for a car anyways, at least not for most places I've seen. Driving a car around makes sense if you travel often and your parents have some spare car sitting around, but otherwise not really.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #34
StarsGarrador
Gangnam Style Guru

Drives: Suzuki GSXF650, WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
im 20 live at home full time, been investing in stocks since i was 16, im putting 10k down and then selling my altima when my brz comes so I say go for it. You deserve it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #35
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
what year is ur frontier? i wouldnt blow all my money on a car
save what u can especially if theres nothing wrong with ur truck, thats what im doing
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #36
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMs|a|MILLION View Post
where in Canada do you live and what horrible things have you done to deserve such an expensive insurance policy? I was just qouted 2600 a year for my brz and I'm only three years older then you. I dunno how you do it, but whatever your doing to afford all of that keep doing it.
2400 here, now I dont feel so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heero View Post
A fellow 20 year old university student chiming in here:

I pay my parents rent each month, pay my own school tuiton (no loan for me) & expenses.
Despite all this I purchased the BRZ.

If I can do all this in Canada -where I am paying almost 9k a year just on insurance, you can do it to! Your young, live life! Enjoy your new car!

Jesus H christ for all that id say fuck the car and take the bus.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #37
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Red View Post
I would never own a new car in college. Hell, at that stage in my life I would never own something I would go crazy over if it got one or two dings. College is not car friendly. I wouldn't put a BRZ through it.

So true. Young and drunk people all over the place.
mact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #38
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
There is a lot more to this decision than would make it possible for us to say yes or no. You have to seriously sit down and take a look at your situation and decide if it is right. Are you a good driver who isn't going to take stupid chances in a sports car? Do you have the money to pay for the car/insurance/etc. and still have some to keep you going through college?

I just graduated and my lack of debt (state school) as well as the money I've saved up from working through college, and having a good job made me decide to go for the BRZ, so my advice is to carefully think through the entire situation and make sure that you have the finances in order to be able to do this. Living hand to mouth is a very stressful way to do it.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #39
slaxx

Drives: '13BRZl, '14FiestaST2, '10Insight2
Hey @feedbag that reads as tweak, take care of yourself man. Permanent damage you know.

Or if that's just English as a last language it's all good, thanks for contributing!
slaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #40
Tbxgz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I can count to potato
Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #41
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Use the money on booze and girls and enjoy college. After you graduate and have a steady income buy the car. Jm2c
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #42
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Use the money on booze and girls and enjoy college. After you graduate and have a steady income buy the car. Jm2c
I agree with this

Also want to point out the Nissian will carry more girls as well