follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #1
MyNameIsCacauate

Drives: Impretzal
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stud trimming with spacer question

I have a set of wheels that don't have the extra holes for spacers. I'm planning on running 35mm spacers on some s1 3p for the rears(since the studs are about 35mm wouldn't need to trim). However, my fronts are going to be 20mm spacers, how am I gonna go do this isn't it unsafe to trim 15mm's of the stud?
MyNameIsCacauate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Honestly sell those wheels, buy ones with the proper offset. No extra work, no lame spacers. No worrying about frankinstine set ups.

save yourself the headache.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
MyNameIsCacauate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Honestly sell those wheels, buy ones with the proper offset. No extra work, no lame spacers. No worrying about frankinstine set ups.

save yourself the headache.
Considering relipping it right now to the proper offset, I just want something temporary. By the way, the stock studs are 35mm right? Wanted to double check.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #4
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Actually, I'd recommend changing the studs to stronger extended aftermarket studs (ARP). This gives you flexibility to run whatever wheels or slip on spacers you want while helping to ensure your studs don't break easily.

Sadly, the stock studs are short and notorious for breaking if mishandled at all. You simply cannot guarantee that everyone that takes your wheels off are going to reinstall them without over-torquing your lugs.

Running a spacer is not some act of evil. Many people with BBKs have to run them to get caliper clearance on lower offset wheels. I've run spacers on extended studs for years on my car with no issues whatsoever.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-18-2018)
Old 10-08-2017, 02:12 AM   #5
MyNameIsCacauate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Actually, I'd recommend changing the studs to stronger extended aftermarket studs (ARP). This gives you flexibility to run whatever wheels or slip on spacers you want while helping to ensure your studs don't break easily.

Sadly, the stock studs are short and notorious for breaking if mishandled at all. You simply cannot guarantee that everyone that takes your wheels off are going to reinstall them without over-torquing your lugs.

Running a spacer is not some act of evil. Many people with BBKs have to run them to get caliper clearance on lower offset wheels. I've run spacers on extended studs for years on my car with no issues whatsoever.
How would I go with extended studs if my wheels have no pockets in them? Isn't the point of shaving studs to match the length of the spacer if you're lacking pockets?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:05 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
MyNameIsCacauate: there are slip on spacers, studs simply go through. But to have enough thread for secure mount of lugnut you have your extra length of extended aftermarket ARP stud.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #7
MyNameIsCacauate

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
MyNameIsCacauate: there are slip on spacers, studs simply go through. But to have enough thread for secure mount of lugnut you have your extra length of extended aftermarket ARP stud.
I'd rather stick to bolt on spacers considering 35mm is quite large, wouldn't want to make my ride anymore dangerous that it needs to.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:39 AM   #8
MyNameIsCacauate

Quote:

Would extended studs and slip-ons be a better alternative to a 35mm bolt on?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:44 AM   #9
MyNameIsCacauate

Quote:
just did a little more research! thanks for the output I think I'm going to go this direction! but are there any 35mm slip-ons?

or do I buy one of those project kics 30mm wide tread spacers that come with studs already, remove those studs and use ARP extended lugs. Is that how this works?

Last edited by MyNameIsCacauate; 10-08-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #10
MyNameIsCacauate

doesn't seem like 35mm slip on's exist, well good ones at least.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #11
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
MyNameIsCacauate: i somehow missed bit of 35mm. Of course you can put multiple spacers for total thickness of that, but 35 is a bit on high side, with such i'd probably go for bolt-on ones. With 20-25 i'd consider both types, below - slip ons.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #12
MyNameIsCacauate

Quote:
MyNameIsCacauate: i somehow missed bit of 35mm. Of course you can put multiple spacers for total thickness of that, but 35 is a bit on high side, with such i'd probably go for bolt-on ones. With 20-25 i'd consider both types, below - slip ons.
Which brings me to my original point. How am I going to run bolt-on spacers if my wheels have no pockets in them?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #13
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsCacauate View Post
Would extended studs and slip-ons be a better alternative to a 35mm bolt on?
1. Yes, much better as you get the all the advantages of stronger aftermarket extended studs I noted above.

2. You possibly could find a 35mm slip on, but a more flexible route would be to get a stackable kit like the 30mm one Parts Shop Max sells. Just make sure that your spacers are hubcentric and are made to lock together. I also agree that 35mm is a lot of spacer, but for some body kits and applications extremely low offsets are required.

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...-5-125-56.html

DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #14
MyNameIsCacauate

Quote:
1. Yes, much better as you get the all the advantages of stronger aftermarket extended studs I noted above.

2. You possibly could find a 35mm slip on, but a more flexible route would be to get a stackable kit like the 30mm one Parts Shop Max sells. Just make sure that your spacers are hubcentric and are made to lock together. I also agree that 35mm is a lot of spacer, but for some body kits and applications extremely low offsets are required.

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...-5-125-56.html

Never heard of these, considering them atm. Debating between them and the h&r bolt on.