follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #71
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaitoguru View Post
Yeah I found one already. $1000 he’s worked the court I’m going to. Knows the judge. Says he should get the reckless and racing dropped and I should end up with a speeding ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And that is exactly what should happen! The cop misinterpreted what was going on from his brief glimpse at one moment in time and any decent lawyer should be able to push that.
Hope it plays out as it should.
I have a similar situation happen every day as people tailgate in the passing lane and they will stay at my speed until I have an opening to move over no matter how aggressive they are. I know how fast I can go over the limit and get away with it so I am not getting a ticket because they are a dlckhead.
Howaitoguru (08-20-2019), p1l0t (08-20-2019), ScoobsMcGee (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #72
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
...Not everything is a conspiracy.
Hmmm..sounds like a cover-up to me...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (08-20-2019), Tcoat (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #73
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Hmmm..sounds like a cover-up to me...
Dadhawk (08-20-2019), p1l0t (08-20-2019), ScoobsMcGee (08-20-2019), Spuds (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #74
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I think I know why they stacked me like that. I’ve noticed a lot more police activity in Georgia as a whole. I think they’re trying to bring in revenue through citations and arrests. They usually do at the end of the summer but it seems like it’s a lot worse right now.

Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #75
Tcoat

Quote:
So I think I know why they stacked me like that. I’ve noticed a lot more police activity in Georgia as a whole. I think they’re trying to bring in revenue through citations and arrests. They usually do at the end of the summer but it seems like it’s a lot worse right now.

Dude you don’t need to try to rationalize it. You were speeding even if not racing and got caught. Doesn’t mean there is some big fund raiser going on. It just means you got caught. Do you really believe they would have just ignored you any other time? If just looking for money they would have just ticketed you. Once criminal charges and jail time are involved it costs the State money for each conviction. Would be a horrible way to try to make money.
There is no hidden ulterior motive behind their actions no matter how everybody try’s to twist it. Hundreds of people get speeding tickets every single day. Very few of them just accept they screwed up and got caught. They all try to explain it with some mysterious conspiracy. Guess it is just the American way as stated earlier.
ScoobsMcGee (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #76
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Dude you don’t need to try to rationalize it. You were speeding even if not racing and got caught. Doesn’t mean there is some big fund raiser going on. It just means you got caught. Do you really believe they would have just ignored you anther time? If just looking for money they would have just ticketed you. Once criminal charges and jail time are involved it costs the State money for each conviction. Would be a horrible way to try to make money.
There is no hidden ulterior motive behind their actions no matter how everybody try’s to twist it. Hundreds of people get speeding tickets every single day. Very few of them just accept they screwed up and got caught. They all try to explain it with some mysterious conspiracy. Guess it is just the American way as stated earlier.
I'll confess to not reading the whole thread, so apologies if it was already said.

It is also possible that the guy who stopped you was having a bad day, is really strict on moving violations, thought he was doing a good job as a cop, or just didn't like the cut of your jib. Police officers have a fair amount of leeway to issue charges at their discretion and interpretation of the law while in the field. That is part of why the court system exists. We're risking getting into a very political conversation on it, but as Tcoat said, no reason to chalk it up to a conspiracy.

I'm glad to hear that you have a good lawyer and it sounds like you can get the charges talked down. The only constructive advice I would give is that while you're in court, be polite and well tempered with everyone involved. Even if the cop shows up and acts like a jackass. If you lose your temper there is nothing to stop the judge from honoring the charge and backing out of whatever deal your lawyer negotiates.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #77
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
I'll confess to not reading the whole thread, so apologies if it was already said.

It is also possible that the guy who stopped you was having a bad day, is really strict on moving violations, thought he was doing a good job as a cop, or just didn't like the cut of your jib. Police officers have a fair amount of leeway to issue charges at their discretion and interpretation of the law while in the field. That is part of why the court system exists. We're risking getting into a very political conversation on it, but as Tcoat said, no reason to chalk it up to a conspiracy.

I'm glad to hear that you have a good lawyer and it sounds like you can get the charges talked down. The only constructive advice I would give is that while you're in court, be polite and well tempered with everyone involved. Even if the cop shows up and acts like a jackass. If you lose your temper there is nothing to stop the judge from honoring the charge and backing out of whatever deal your lawyer negotiates.

Throw on my slacks and dress shoes and a nice blue long sleeve polo and not say a damn word.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (08-20-2019), Spuds (08-20-2019), Tcoat (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #78
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Dude you don’t need to try to rationalize it. You were speeding even if not racing and got caught. Doesn’t mean there is some big fund raiser going on. It just means you got caught. Do you really believe they would have just ignored you any other time? If just looking for money they would have just ticketed you. Once criminal charges and jail time are involved it costs the State money for each conviction. Would be a horrible way to try to make money.

Traffic violations are a misdemeanor in the state of Georgia no matter how small. Some get ticketed some get you in jail.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #79
Tcoat

Quote:
Traffic violations are a misdemeanor in the state of Georgia no matter how small. Some get ticketed some get you in jail.

Ok jail then. Still costs money to put people in jail. As a fundraising event it would suck.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #80
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Ok jail then. Still costs money to put people in jail. As a fundraising event it would suck.

Idk today riding from Stockbridge to Forest park I saw 8 people pulled over on 675 and cops were everywhere. It doesn’t matter though what’s done is done. I’m going to pay this lawyer to handle it and hopefully the judge isn’t gay because I can’t handle getting fucked by the system anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #81
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Idk today riding from Stockbridge to Forest park I saw 8 people pulled over on 675 and cops were everywhere. It doesn’t matter though what’s done is done. I’m going to pay this lawyer to handle it and hopefully the judge isn’t gay because I can’t handle getting fucked by the system anymore.

What if the judge is a smoking-hot woman?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #82
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
What if the judge is a smoking-hot woman?
Amazing. We see every person and system blamed for getting a speeding ticket but this is the very first time the judge's sexual orientation was determined to be a factor.

Fully agree with fighting the racing charge but by the OP's own admission he was indeed speeding. That is NOBODY's fault but his own.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #83
Tcoat

Well sonofabitch. Looks like old How really does get "screwed by the system" a lot. Had to pay big insurance rates after being in jail for reckless driving before. Should be an expert on the process by now.
Good luck getting off on this one with that record. Even better luck ever getting insurance again!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136358
Dadhawk (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #84
Howaitoguru

Quote:
Well sonofabitch. Looks like old How really does get "screwed by the system" a lot. Had to pay big insurance rates after being in jail for reckless driving before. Should be an expert on the process by now.
Good luck getting off on this one with that record. Even better luck ever getting insurance again!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136358

I didn’t have a lawyer at that point in time I was un employed. Once again they used the stacking technique and listed laying drag as reckless driving so I got both tickets instead of one or another. This time I’m getting a lawyer.