follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
hhm007

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 BRZ Dead ECU

Seeing if anyone also had similar issues.

Mods - OFT, Tomei UEL Headers, Invidia R400 Catback

Last Weds I was leaving for work in the morning, came to a red light, car stalled and died. Tried turning the car back on but nothing, wouldn't crank over, display was saying "Coolant Temp High".

Ended up getting it towed to a shop to see what was up and they concluded the ECU was fried. OFT, OBDII Reader and the shop's computer couldn't detect an ECU.

Weird thing is, the mods aren't recent. The car has been OFT tuned and running for over a year and half. Nothing else has been done to the car since then (other than the regular maintenance of course).

Any ideas? Shop has never heard of an ECU just dieing like that.

Good news is that we did find a replacement ECU off a wreck that we can swap in and reprogram.
hhm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think I have another ECU If you want a spare. Unless I threw it out. Weird issue.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
I'd have the wiring checked to make sure there wasn't a short that caused the original ECU to fry. Last thing you want to do is swap in the new ECU and fry it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Turbo (07-11-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
J4RF
S🅱️inalla

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ [WRB]
Well that blows. I'm guessing you won't be able to use that same OFT anymore, since you can't hook it up to the old ECU and revert to stock/un-pair.
J4RF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4RF View Post
Well that blows. I'm guessing you won't be able to use that same OFT anymore, since you can't hook it up to the old ECU and revert to stock/un-pair.

Shiv should take care of this as long as there's some documentation that the ECU was replaced. The invoice from the shop for replacement/programming should be enough.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
hhm007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'd have the wiring checked to make sure there wasn't a short that caused the original ECU to fry. Last thing you want to do is swap in the new ECU and fry it too.
Got a update from the shop. It looks like the cam sensor harness was completely melted. Ended up shorting out and frying the ECU. It's strange because the harness was perfectly tied off and wasn't in reach of touching anything hot. We're guessing it's just heat from the headers melting it over time.

Quote:
Shiv should take care of this as long as there's some documentation that the ECU was replaced. The invoice from the shop for replacement/programming should be enough.
I contacted their tech support about this issue and they said they can't help. Only option they offered was to send back the unit and they'll give me a $250 credit to buy a new one. I even offered to provide receipt proof that I was getting my ECU replaced. Is there a way I could contact Shiv directly?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm007 View Post
Got a update from the shop. It looks like the cam sensor harness was completely melted. Ended up shorting out and frying the ECU. It's strange because the harness was perfectly tied off and wasn't in reach of touching anything hot. We're guessing it's just heat from the headers melting it over time.

Yikes! Glad they found it before the new ECU went in though.

Quote:
I contacted their tech support about this issue and they said they can't help. Only option they offered was to send back the unit and they'll give me a $250 credit to buy a new one. I even offered to provide receipt proof that I was getting my ECU replaced. Is there a way I could contact Shiv directly?

Not sure of his email, I'd press harder on them. They've definitely helped people in the past. Also check the tuning section to see if anyone else might be able to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Turbo (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
hhm007

Quote:
Yikes! Glad they found it before the new ECU went in though.

Not sure of his email, I'd press harder on them. They've definitely helped people in the past. Also check the tuning section to see if anyone else might be able to help.
Unfortunately they didn't find it before new ECU went in. Caught it after they put it in, started the car and a million codes popped up. Good thing it didn't fry the replacement ECU. Now it sounds like when it shorted it might have taken the brake sensor with it, shop is saying today that Trac light is on, and when you step on the brakes, the lights don't work.

I'll definitely try to press OFT harder.
The Following User Says Thank You to hhm007 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Where does the cam sensor harness run on our cars? Anyone have pics? Curious if it's something us track guys should be using heat shielding on.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
hhm007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Where does the cam sensor harness run on our cars? Anyone have pics? Curious if it's something us track guys should be using heat shielding on.
From another post I found.

But see how its clipped off and tucked away from anything hot? That's why we're stumped on how it could have melted.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:

Cam sensor harness goes up (like on the photo abrove), so it shouldn't be near the header or anything.

Unless he have nameless header or some other header that goes front of cams.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:57 AM   #12
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Thanks for posting the pics, guys. I think I'm going to nose around the sensor on the passenger bank on mine tomorrow.

I have a turbo sitting up top in front of the engine and the passenger side sensor location looks to be smack in the line of fire for my downpipe.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
FujiwaraTofu86

Drives: gt86
Quote:
Unfortunately they didn't find it before new ECU went in. Caught it after they put it in, started the car and a million codes popped up. Good thing it didn't fry the replacement ECU. Now it sounds like when it shorted it might have taken the brake sensor with it, shop is saying today that Trac light is on, and when you step on the brakes, the lights don't work.

I'll definitely try to press OFT harder.
Yikes that sounds like a nightmare to deal with. what is the next solution?
FujiwaraTofu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #14
hhm007

Quote:
Thanks for posting the pics, guys. I think I'm going to nose around the sensor on the passenger bank on mine tomorrow.

I have a turbo sitting up top in front of the engine and the passenger side sensor location looks to be smack in the line of fire for my downpipe.
I wouldn't worry too much as it seems like I've been the only one that's had this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiwaraTofu86 View Post
Yikes that sounds like a nightmare to deal with. what is the next solution?
Yea it was a nightmare. Next solution? Get it fixed and PART OUT!