follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List
go_a_way1

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #4635
Turbo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: FR-S Turbo
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 139
Thanks: 139
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You don't need sways with a good coilover setup.

You don't need bushings with entry level coilovers such as the models you've mentioned (and anything within that price range).

Mishimoto cooling "upgrades" are not upgrades.

I think you need to track first, and determine what you want to change, rather than blindly throw parts at the car.

I can't make a recommendation for you when you can't tell me what you want, other than "parts".

Thanks, Mike.


Yeah, I can see I threw stuff out there and omitted my thoughts behind it all. I haven't had this car to the track, but I have beat on it on the back-roads quite a bit. And pretty hard. What has that experience make me want?


1) More traction. In the front but especially in the rear. The 225's on the car have a few miles on them and not enough stick. I can get the car sideways at will in any of the 1st 3 gears. And sometimes not at will;

Current rims are 18x8 which really limits tire width. I've ordered 17x9's which will allows me to run 245 or 255 and keep the sublime balance by running a square setup.

I figured I'd need coilovers to clear a 255/40 tire? If they have camber plates, they would also allow me to run more neg camber helping improve traction.


2) less body roll/more controlled body roll - especially in fast transitions. Perhaps my stock suspension is a bit worn? But it doesn't feel as tight or confidence inspiring as even my STi did.


3) A slightly lowered stance. Admittedly -mainly to improve the appearance- but I'll accept the handling improvements that can accompany it.


Does that help a bit?


I mentioned the cooling upgrades as I'm on a stock rad and figured a boosted setup could use more cooling capacity given my intended use for the car.

Last edited by Turbo; 06-04-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #4636
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Thanks, Mike.


Yeah, I can see I threw stuff out there and omitted my thoughts behind it all. I haven't had this car to the track, but I have beat on it on the back-roads quite a bit. And pretty hard. What has that experience make me want?


1) More traction. In the front but especially in the rear. The 225's on the car have a few miles on them and not enough stick. I can get the car sideways at will in any of the 1st 3 gears. And sometimes not at will;

Current rims are 18x8 which really limits tire width. I've ordered 17x9's which will allows me to run 245 or 255 and keep the sublime balance by running a square setup.

I figured I'd need coilovers to clear a 255/40 tire? If they have camber plates, they would also allow me to run more neg camber helping improve traction.


2) less body roll/more controlled body roll - especially in fast transitions. Perhaps my stock suspension is a bit worn? But it doesn't feel as tight or confidence inspiring as even my STi did.


3) A slightly lowered stance. Admittedly -mainly to improve the appearance- but I'll accept the handling improvements that can accompany it.


Does that help a bit?


I mentioned the cooling upgrades as I'm on a stock rad and figured a boosted setup could use more cooling capacity given my intended use for the car.
1. Get better tires. Compound > size. Not having traction in 3rd gear, at your power level, tells me the grip is lacking mechanically. No suspension will help you with this, unless you compromise your handling to build a drag car.

2. body roll isn't a bad thing. Notice even F1 cars have significant body roll, and the camber to match. The STI felt more confident cornering period, or just only on power while cornering? Chances are your stock dampers are worn out. They wear out very quickly under hard driving, even with totally inexperienced drivers.

3. Coilovers would help address both the look and stability of the car.

Based on what you told me, try this:

CSG Spec Flex A. Stock sways. Better tires.

Lower than your expected budget, addresses everything you listed.

Exactly what I list above was good enough for this yesterday. I run a stock radiator with my turbo, but have trackspec hood louvers. Make your car more efficient, rather than forcing things.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjlR0C6gCs1
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Turbo (06-04-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #4637
Horrid_Funk
Member
 
Horrid_Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 84
Thanks: 30
Thanked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
1. Get better tires. Compound > size. Not having traction in 3rd gear, at your power level, tells me the grip is lacking mechanically. No suspension will help you with this, unless you compromise your handling to build a drag car.

2. body roll isn't a bad thing. Notice even F1 cars have significant body roll, and the camber to match. The STI felt more confident cornering period, or just only on power while cornering? Chances are your stock dampers are worn out. They wear out very quickly under hard driving, even with totally inexperienced drivers.

3. Coilovers would help address both the look and stability of the car.

Based on what you told me, try this:

CSG Spec Flex A. Stock sways. Better tires.

Lower than your expected budget, addresses everything you listed.

Exactly what I list above was good enough for this yesterday. I run a stock radiator with my turbo, but have trackspec hood louvers. Make your car more efficient, rather than forcing things.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjlR0C6gCs1
Hey Mike, I've seen you mention before that even PP shocks wear out after about 4-5 track days when driven hard. How many track days would you expect an experienced driver to get out of the CSG Flex A before needing to rebuild?
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #4638
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
Hey Mike, I've seen you mention before that even PP shocks wear out after about 4-5 track days when driven hard. How many track days would you expect an experienced driver to get out of the CSG Flex A before needing to rebuild?
Not sure; mine haven't worn out yet! My set has around 120 track sessions on it so far.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Horrid_Funk (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 01:33 AM   #4639
botbs
Senior Member
 
botbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 12 CT200H, 16 Golf R, 18 BRZ Ts
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 256
Thanks: 234
Thanked 142 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Mike,

I will be running a set of Nankang AR1 255/35/R18 on track, will I be okay without the baffle plate and accusump?

A forum member said that your supercharged car doesn't have any baffle plate. Just wondering were you using R-comps too?

Thanks!

Ref: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=6
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:38 AM   #4640
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Hi Mike,

I will be running a set of Nankang AR1 255/35/R18 on track, will I be okay without the baffle plate and accusump?

A forum member said that your supercharged car doesn't have any baffle plate. Just wondering were you using R-comps too?

Thanks!

Ref: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=6
Stock engine? You'll be okay. Just make sure you have an oil cooler.

My *turbo* car doesn't have any baffle plate. I've run up to low grip slicks before. (for context, Hoosiers are low grip slicks).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 01:56 AM   #4641
botbs
Senior Member
 
botbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 12 CT200H, 16 Golf R, 18 BRZ Ts
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 256
Thanks: 234
Thanked 142 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Stock engine? You'll be okay. Just make sure you have an oil cooler.

My *turbo* car doesn't have any baffle plate. I've run up to low grip slicks before. (for context, Hoosiers are low grip slicks).
Great! Thanks for the information!

I have a Cosworth supercharger, any oil cooler you recommend or any oil cooler on your website works?

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:11 AM   #4642
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Great! Thanks for the information!

I have a Cosworth supercharger, any oil cooler you recommend or any oil cooler on your website works?

Thanks!
Due to fitment/routing with the heat exchanger, most oil coolers will actually not work out of the box!

I'd recommend the DROC.

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/j...gt86-scion-frs
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
botbs (06-08-2018), pitbull008 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #4643
Azzudien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Location: New York
Posts: 243
Thanks: 29
Thanked 213 Times in 100 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
Hey Mike, I've seen you mention before that even PP shocks wear out after about 4-5 track days when driven hard. How many track days would you expect an experienced driver to get out of the CSG Flex A before needing to rebuild?
Why would the Sachs on the PP wear out in 4-5 track days? I really don't understand that statement.
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azzudien For This Useful Post:
Pat (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #4644
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzudien View Post
Why would the Sachs on the PP wear out in 4-5 track days? I really don't understand that statement.
From heat.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #4645
Azzudien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Location: New York
Posts: 243
Thanks: 29
Thanked 213 Times in 100 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
From heat.
Heat would affect internal oil viscosity much like engine oil and this would affect performance, but it would seem very difficult to heat damper oil to the level that causes failure after a few track days. You would essentially have to heat it to a point to cause seals to fail.
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #4646
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzudien View Post
Heat would affect internal oil viscosity much like engine oil and this would affect performance, but it would seem very difficult to heat damper oil to the level that causes failure after a few track days. You would essentially have to heat it to a point to cause seals to fail.
Or break down the oils, which is where the problem stems from.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #4647
Tokay444
Anti stance.
 
Tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: '17 White 860. Some TRD things.
Location: Canada
Posts: 732
Thanks: 346
Thanked 300 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
People laughed when someone released heat sinks for damper bodies.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #4648
FirstWinter
Whatever happens, happens
 
FirstWinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2015 Steel FRS 6MT
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 599
Thanks: 333
Thanked 377 Times in 227 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
People laughed when someone released heat sinks for damper bodies.
I have only seen those (fins on external reservoirs) for some off roading setups.
__________________
You're in NorCal? Come hang out with us at the track!

86 Drive Challenge Facebook Group
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple question, hard to find answer... Mango22 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 5 05-16-2013 06:23 PM
Silly question about protecting track rims sw20kosh Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 16 04-25-2013 12:34 PM
Asking the question that I already know the answer to. Are the engines the same? Bigmaxy Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 10 01-19-2013 08:47 PM
Random dog-related question for those who have their BRZ GMU-BRZ Subaru BRZ General Forum 11 05-31-2012 07:48 AM
Got my answer - BRZ comes with HID headlights as STD Z_Rocks Subaru BRZ General Forum 20 01-10-2012 10:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.