follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Low speed squeal / squeak noise

Hey guys

When I'm at a low speed I hear a momentary squeal / speak noise when accelerating. This is most apparent when engaging the clutch and accelerating, but if I am already in 1st gear and accelerate from 8km/h, I hear it as well, so I don't think it's a clutch issue.

Started hearing this sound today when at a drive thru. Creeping forward to the windows next to a wall makes the sound very obvious, but can still be heard if I listen carefully when driving on a quiet street with the windows down.
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
Hey guys

When I'm at a low speed I hear a momentary squeal / speak noise when accelerating. This is most apparent when engaging the clutch and accelerating, but if I am already in 1st gear and accelerate from 8km/h, I hear it as well, so I don't think it's a clutch issue.

Started hearing this sound today when at a drive thru. Creeping forward to the windows next to a wall makes the sound very obvious, but can still be heard if I listen carefully when driving on a quiet street with the windows down.
I'm surprised you can hear that over all the other sounds this car makes.

Do you have any power mods? Do you track it? Recent suspension work done?

How many miles on your car?

Maybe the TOB is rearing its ugly head?

Maybe a brake pad is dragging?

Come back.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
highway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm surprised you can hear that over all the other sounds this car makes.

Do you have any power mods? Do you track it? Recent suspension work done?

How many miles on your car?

Maybe the TOB is rearing its ugly head?

Maybe a brake pad is dragging?

Come back.

humfrz

No mods all stock

131 000 km

TOB has already been replaced only a few thousand KM ago, it fixed the previous problem (Squealing when revving engine with clutch disengaged) so I don't think the TOB is it.

I just tested it again, also does a temporary squeal in 2nd at low RPM (15km/h) with clutch fully engaged in gear. Don't think it's a TOB issue as the TOB doesn't move in these scenarios.

Going to be doing a full brake disassembly and re grease this weekend
Old 05-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
humfrz

Quote:
No mods all stock

131 000 km

TOB has already been replaced only a few thousand KM ago, it fixed the previous problem (Squealing when revving engine with clutch disengaged) so I don't think the TOB is it.

I just tested it again, also does a temporary squeal in 2nd at low RPM (15km/h) with clutch fully engaged in gear. Don't think it's a TOB issue as the TOB doesn't move in these scenarios.

Going to be doing a full brake disassembly and re grease this weekend
Probably not the TOB, since it was recently replaced.

FYI - the TOB is always moving (running) on these cars, as long as the engine is running...... ; it's just not "working", unless the clutch is pushed it.

I think checking the brakes is a good idea …… you might have a sticking caliper.

Please keep us posted.

humfrz
Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
highway7

I've also been having another noise problem for the past 2-3 months, could it be related?

When backing into a spot, turning the wheel towards the right will cause a series of pops and clunks. It first started out as a single pop. Occasionally I'm able to recreate it, but if I'm in an empty parking lot reversing and turning, it doesn't always appear. If I'm dry steering there is a single pop. No noise when going forward, or going over speed bumps. Car still handles fine.

I've done the 12 o cock and 6 o clock ball joint and the 3 and 9 wheel bearing test, as well as gone underneath the car and push and pulled the sway bar, control arms, steering linkage, without finding the cause. I'm thinking it's something to do with the strut assembly.

As well, when I press on the brakes while stationary, I hear a rubber "squeak" noise coming from the rear left. Not from the squeal indicators. Going to disassemble and grease all friction points.

Ugh, another day with this car, another noise. (In addition to crickets, shiftier rattle, rear deck rattle, differential whine, invisible supercharger)
Old 05-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
sfdai0

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yea, this is my first subaru (have a '17 86) and it only has a little over 1000 miles on it but this car is full or strange noises. I get a soft knocking noise at low speeds myself.
sfdai0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
highway7

I think the noise has to do with engine lugging, because when I take off in a higher RPM the noise isn't present. Only when I lightly take off with low RPM or feather the clutch to creep forward does the noise exist. And as stated before, if I am at a low RPM in 2nd gear fully engaged, the noise is present when giving gas at 14km/h. No noise revving in neutral with clutch pedal in or out.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
if it is the same sound I hear every so often, then rest assured pretty sure it is just one of the many odd sounds of this platform and shouldn't be of any concern...I've heard it for 30 K miles with no change in sound or effect on performance/function.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdai0 View Post
Yea, this is my first subaru (have a '17 86) and it only has a little over 1000 miles on it but this car is full or strange noises. I get a soft knocking noise at low speeds myself.

In this car, soft knocking noises are OK ……. loud ones are not good ……

Feel better ……. not really .. oh well, I tried.

humfrz
Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
humfrz

Quote:
I think the noise has to do with engine lugging, because when I take off in a higher RPM the noise isn't present. ………..
Welp, Bubba says …… just don't lug the engine ……

This ain't your grandfather's flathead Ford V-8, that you could pop the clutch at idle and the car would just move off …..

humfrz for Bubba
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Ugh, another day with this car, another noise. (In addition to crickets, shiftier rattle, rear deck rattle, differential whine, invisible supercharger)
I know, It's astonishing isn't it?!

Good news is you can drive with your windows down now lol
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
highway7

Fixed the problem of the turning clunk!

I had my car in the air and figured I might as well try all 3 simple attempts at fixing the clunk.

I tightened the 3 nuts holding the strut as well as the 2 bolts of the strut bar nearest to the strut. There was little resistance turning the nuts, but I know a lot of nuts and bolts on this car are quite "loose" and not tightened to being snug from the factory. I just turned them 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and left them.

Then I sprayed white lithium grease under the top of the strut where it rotates

Finally, I took off the brake pads and the metal sliders on the calipers, cleaned them with brake cleaner, then applied brake lube on the slide points as well as the back of the plate where it contacted the piston and caliper. To me, this is what fixed the problem. I think it was a brake pad sticking or knocking around due to insufficient lube allowing it to slide properly.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:38 AM   #13
humfrz

Quote:
Fixed the problem of the turning clunk!

I had my car in the air and figured I might as well try all 3 simple attempts at fixing the clunk.

I tightened the 3 nuts holding the strut as well as the 2 bolts of the strut bar nearest to the strut. There was little resistance turning the nuts, but I know a lot of nuts and bolts on this car are quite "loose" and not tightened to being snug from the factory. I just turned them 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and left them.

Then I sprayed white lithium grease under the top of the strut where it rotates

Finally, I took off the brake pads and the metal sliders on the calipers, cleaned them with brake cleaner, then applied brake lube on the slide points as well as the back of the plate where it contacted the piston and caliper. To me, this is what fixed the problem. I think it was a brake pad sticking or knocking around due to insufficient lube allowing it to slide properly.
Yaaaaaaaaa………...

humfrz
Old 05-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #14
Weigaldo

Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a momentary squeal around 2000ish rpm on light acceleration for a long time. It was only in drive and if I held the brake and brought the rpms to that point, it would squeal continuously. I eventually came to the conclusion it was the cat in the header and a piece of it must have broken off and chirped at that frequency. After I swapped for a Tomei UEL, the squeal was gone. Might be something to consider.
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote